Mixed reactions

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Mixed reactions

Post by SickThings » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:12 pm

The stigma of being an "opening act" is certainly not what it used to be. Over the years, concert-goers have become accustomed to two (or more) big name acts going out on the road together. And somebody has to play first. It's not like the '70s and '80s when the opening band was often a group no one had ever heard of before. I don't think anybody but die-hard Alice fans will look at the Crue tour and think of Alice in a derogatory fashion. Instead, most will see it as a chance to see a legend, which is exactly what it is.

And as expected, the tour is selling very well. I checked Nashville and Louisville this morning out of curiosity, and there are very few lower arena tickets available in either venue. (The $4K front row center seats are still available in Nashville, though. ;) ) Even several of the upper arena sections are mostly sold.

We may not care for Motley Crue (I like some of their songs; I saw them open for KISS a couple of years, and once was enough for me), and while this tour isn't on the level of, say, the Stones, this tour is a big deal in terms of attendance.

(Speaking of shorter sets, the KISS/Crue tour in 2012 was considered a co-headlining tour---and each band only played about 75--80 minutes. It was easily the shortest KISS show I've ever seen. By contrast, KISS in 2004 played for 30 minutes longer.)

Hunter

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:14 pm

>I had the impression that Alice had his own public,not just people waiting for the headliner.

Exactly.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:29 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>That's the only thing I can see saving AC from these opening slot tours.

Really? He already pretty much plays those kind of venues on his own anyway.
Really? Alice is selling 3k-5k tickets in all/most markets? I'm asking because he doesn't in my neck of the woods (traditionally a strong Alice market) and my impression was he's drawing 1200-2000 on a good night. Links to some official figures would be helpful

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:53 pm

>Alice is selling 3k-5k tickets in all/most markets?

It depends. In Europe, he plays slightly and in some cases, much, bigger venues than in north America (you haven't told us what your "neck of the woods" is). There were around ten thousand people there the last time he played Wembley Arena, there were around nine thousand people at Alexandra Palace, there were around four thousand at the Hammersmith Apollo (as it was called and then) and at least five thousand at the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham as well. There were reportedly around eighty thousand people at the Wacken Festival (although obviously that is an exception as is often the case with festivals). He was the headliner at all those shows. I have (somewhere) all the itinerary books for almost every Alice tour since 1986 and the capacity for each venue is stated. Those venues do indeed vary from LESS than a thousand to ten times that. It just depends and given that Alice's tours tend to be at least eighty - five per cent sold - out, that gives an average crowd of at least around 3,400 based on your higher estimation.

>Links to some official figures would be helpful

You might find some at www.pollstar.com otherwise, those figures are private, in which case you need to go to more shows in a variety of locations to get a better and more informed "impression". Nobody is pretending he is playing in stadiums, but I think a bit more of a realistic attitude is called for given the general theme of this thread.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:56 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>I think it would be good for his legacy to straighten up some of his work (Constrictor would be a good start).

That isn't one of the albums he was referring to.
I'm sure it wasn't, but that would be top of my own list. I think there's a good album there under the muffled original recording.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:04 pm

No mixed feelings here. Alice is getting on in age, and nothing is guaranteed in the future relating to tours, albums or health. Nothing! So I'm going to enjoy any chance Alice comes to my hole in the Earth, because I'll regret not going to a show, even an opening one, WHEN it reaches the end of the line. It'll be sad enough then without having regrets.

Another thing. With respect to all, I don't get the "all-or-none" mentality of not going to a show if Alice doesn't headline or avoiding shows if seats near the stage can't be obtained. I've been at the front and all the way at the back... haven't left a show yet feeling ho-hum. There are folks here right now who haven't seen a show and likely won't, depending on their country. If you're not going because of finances, that's one thing, but this whole entitlement stance is for the dogs.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:49 pm

IMO, post-millennium Alice has released a clutch of mostly good-to-excellent studio albums and delivered, on the whole, some very good tours. Headlining Cropredy, last year, was a masterstroke - a crowd of 20,000 mainly non-metal/non-fans gave him an ecstatic reception. His voice still sounds great to me, the current band are awesome and he's still a big draw across Northern Europe. And yet, and yet .....

I'm really disappointed in his plans for 2014 so far. Motley Crue? It would be bad enough if they were supporting AC but for it to be the other way round just leaves me baffled. They're a band who've seemingly based an entire career around the degradation of women, cribbing all their moves from 'The Nursery Rhyme Book Of Rock Cliches'. For me, they stand for everything that Alice isn't.

'Original Rock Meets The Classics' tour? Only it's not a 'proper' tour. Alice and Orianthi in a James Last plays the 'swinging hits'-type scenario. Hmm. Finally there's a couple of metal festival slots. Yawn.

The forthcoming album? I really hope it's one of those rare covers albums - like Johnny Cash's 'American Recordings' - where the spirit of the original is kept at the same time as some inventive reinterpretation takes place. If it's just a 'classic rock' run through of existing standards then I can't see the point, no matter how many 'guests' there are.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:51 pm

>but for it to be the other way round just leaves me baffled.

It is obvious why it is happening though.

>'Original Rock Meets The Classics' tour? Only it's not a 'proper' tour.

It isn't meant to be.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:16 am

I can understand the different opinions...think Alice's heritage is secure though ..if it doesn't worry him opening for Crue then it doesn't worry me personally...My take is in line with those who see it as a good commercial deal which allows him to fund future work/tours plus reaching more potential fans and appealing to Crue fans who might want to go see Alice if Crue really do stop touring...Alice has survived most opening/shared touring slots...even operation rocknroll..I was more surprised when he supported KISS down under but again accept commercial side of it..I don't think Alice will end up doing organised tours of backwater venues-the money from these types of gigs should cushion him from that imo...but if he wants to play the Duchess in York (and say he is in his second favourite city) with its low ceiling I will be there :rock:
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:51 pm

Mixed nuts....

Come on... If you are a fan of both Crue and Alice, this will be a great concert, and for those who are just Crue fans, this is their chance to become a fan of Alice,which will be a good thing, ensuring more tours in the future. And for those who can't stand the Crue, they can always leave after Alice's show. When Alice have an opening band, you may like it or not, it's the same thing. The only problem I can see is the price of the tickets that could be higher, and that could be a problem for some people.

Crazy Little Child
Killer
Killer

Post by Crazy Little Child » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:08 pm

I'm more excited about Alice in recent years - in the studio and live - than i have been in a very long time, but I'm giving this one a pass b/c i really don't like Motley Crue at all, and i'm not willing to pay that sort of money for like a 1-hour Alice set with the only other band on the bill being Motley freaking Crue!

That said, i don't think this is the end of the world or of Alice's career. He just, a few months ago, passed through my neck of the woods playing 3 different venues within 2 hrs travel of Vancouver, different sizes (from quite intimate to quite large) playing his own show. Now he's doing this. Next time he'll do something else.

It'll be fine, everybody, just take your medicine and relax :)

MonsterDog
Dada God
Dada God

Post by MonsterDog » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:30 pm

I see no reason to panic. He has done this before. Since opening for Iron Maiden he has come back with new music and new tours.
Am I disappointed that I will only see Alice do 11 songs as opposed to 23? Of course. But this does not necessarily signal the impending doom of Alice as we know him.
I don't know if the things I'm thinking are normal thoughts or not!

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:58 am

concolz wrote:IMO, post-millennium Alice has released a clutch of mostly good-to-excellent studio albums and delivered, on the whole, some very good tours. Headlining Cropredy, last year, was a masterstroke - a crowd of 20,000 mainly non-metal/non-fans gave him an ecstatic reception. His voice still sounds great to me, the current band are awesome and he's still a big draw across Northern Europe. And yet, and yet .....

I'm really disappointed in his plans for 2014 so far. Motley Crue? It would be bad enough if they were supporting AC but for it to be the other way round just leaves me baffled. They're a band who've seemingly based an entire career around the degradation of women, cribbing all their moves from 'The Nursery Rhyme Book Of Rock Cliches'. For me, they stand for everything that Alice isn't.

'Original Rock Meets The Classics' tour? Only it's not a 'proper' tour. Alice and Orianthi in a James Last plays the 'swinging hits'-type scenario. Hmm. Finally there's a couple of metal festival slots. Yawn.

The forthcoming album? I really hope it's one of those rare covers albums - like Johnny Cash's 'American Recordings' - where the spirit of the original is kept at the same time as some inventive reinterpretation takes place. If it's just a 'classic rock' run through of existing standards then I can't see the point, no matter how many 'guests' there are.
Degradation of women? They (the girls)seems to enjoy it very much, dancers and fans! LOL!

http://youtu.be/2LBwaZ1CanM

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:09 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Alice is selling 3k-5k tickets in all/most markets?

It depends. In Europe, he plays slightly and in some cases, much, bigger venues than in north America (you haven't told us what your "neck of the woods" is). There were around ten thousand people there the last time he played Wembley Arena, there were around nine thousand people at Alexandra Palace, there were around four thousand at the Hammersmith Apollo (as it was called and then) and at least five thousand at the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham as well. Those venues do indeed vary from LESS than a thousand to ten times that. It just depends and given that Alice's tours tend to be at least eighty - five per cent sold - out, that gives an average crowd of at least around 3,400 based on your higher estimation.

My location is clearly stated under Location:. My moniker also contains a clue.

Not sure what year those shows you listed are from but if they are from the past couple of years then I think that's great. The last time I went to an Alice show he "co-headlined" but performed first with Rob Zombie. I like Zombie's music well enough and he's a cool dude so I was OK with going.

I can't/won't go to a Alice/Crue show because i) not a fan of Motley Crue's music at all but ii) guys like Nikki Sixx don't get one thin dime from me

*link removed*

calling a guy a n****r over the PA in front of thousands of your fans and tell people they should kick his ass is so many ways wrong and totaly cowardly.

Alice should have better sense than associate with guys like Nikky Sixx.

here is some more Nikki in case you're under the impression Nikki just loves his fans so much

*link removed*

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:21 pm

My location is clearly stated under Location:. My moniker also contains a clue.

I was just checking. That is indeed a stronghold for Alice but circumstances change.

>Not sure what year those shows you listed are from but if they are from the past couple of years then I think that's great.

They are from 2009 to 2013 actually.

>but if they are from the past couple of years then I think that's great.

I agree. Not only is it "great" though, you've been shown to be wrong again but that isn't unusual.

>The last time I went to an Alice show he "co-headlined" but performed first with Rob Zombie.

What if he did?

>I like Zombie's music well enough and he's a cool dude so I was OK with going.

We are all thrilled.

>I can't/won't go to a Alice/Crue show because i) not a fan of Motley Crue's music at all but ii) guys like Nikki Sixx don't get one thin dime from me

That is your choice. Nobody is forcing you to go.

>calling a guy a n****r over the PA

Michael Richards did that as well, but I still watch "Seinfeld" though.

>Alice should have better sense than associate with guys like Nikky Sixx.

I will pass on your message. In fact, Alice's assistant who reads these messages might do that.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:15 pm

you have a real knack for drawing false equivalencies. I understand - it's a necessary tool for you to frame the debate your way.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:30 pm

Had to remove some links to material that contained racial slurs and substantial course language, rendering them inappropriate for this forum. Please keep in mind that this site receives many visitors who are under the age of majority. While I understand the referencing in the links, I think there's a better way to get our points and information across than linking stuff like that. Much appreciated, all. :)
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:59 pm

I Think a lot of people who criticize the Crue and Nikki Sixx about the way they are are kind of lying to themselves about how the world is.

Nikki Sixx has made mistakes (some serious ones) but has seen that he was wrong and now he's sober and all that. The Same happened to Alice.(different leves of course)

And the one saying about degradation of women I Say to him/her: Oh, come on! Do you really believe that or are you just naive enough to think that some women don't like to be treated that way, to be that way!! Have you heard Trash? Hahahah

Motley Crue songs are about THEIR experiences in life. Honestly we can criticize somethin we haven't lived. Try being a poor group of nobodies with no education in a band in Hollywood living in all that environment and let's see how you're gronna grow up. With That life I could write lots os songs like Girls,Girls,Girls :D

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:07 pm

>you have a real knack for drawing false equivalencies.

It isn't enough to say that. You have to prove it and as Shoesalesman pointed out, you were SO SHOCKED that you had to provide the link to the footage that caused you to be so outraged. There is a song that is kind of about that.

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:34 pm

As a fan of both Alice and Motley Crue I think it's great they're touring together. My only concern is that I hope Alice does a much bigger show than what he's been doing lately. As I've said before, he's gonna be playing in front of much more people than usual and a lot of people will be seeing Alice for the first time. He's got such reputation as a great showman with a legendary stage show I want people to be really impressed so they will wanna see him again or will buy his albums. Motley Crue will no doubt bring everything they have and put on an amazing show and I'm hoping people wont think they completely blew him off stage. I just think this would be a perfect opportunity to pull a few tricks out of his sleeve and really leave an impression.
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER