Why?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Why?

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:55 pm

>This topic merely underlines why he has to do 'the hits' at his concerts.

Exactly. Not that I blame them but as I've stated before, some people (especially here) think that the rest of the world is as fanatical about Alice Cooper as they are.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:41 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:This topic merely underlines why he has to do 'the hits' at his concerts.

Those hits are 40 yrs old. How does the non fanatic casual fan know them when they are rarely played on the radio or tv? If the newer or non hits songs and stage show are good enough people are not going to leave on masse.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:29 pm

I agree to an extent but the casual fan with limited knowledge will expect to hear School's Out and Poison at the very least. Other songs like Eighteen and Elected regularly turn up as they're timeless classics that are easy to pick up and enjoy.

The fan who know's nothing about Alice Cooper and sees him on the TV is bound to wonder how the name came about, the interviewer often obliging. Bit if a catch 22 situation really, the whole name thing's had a big part in the Alice Cooper success story but he (and indeed we) must live with the ongoing intrigue of how it came about.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:41 pm

>Those hits are 40 yrs old. How does the non fanatic casual fan know them when they are rarely played on the radio or tv?

I think most of these people own compilation albums on which those songs feature regularly. Also, even a "casual fan" will know those songs by osmosis, as it were.

> If the newer or non hits songs and stage show are good enough people are not going to leave on masse.

It generally doesn't work that way - rightly or wrongly, it seems the majority of people want to hear songs that they know. Also, it isn't a question of leaving "on masse" (you mean 'en masse'), it is that you run the risk of them not buying tickets the next time Alice goes to their town and if that happens, the promoter won't book Alice the time after that.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:34 am

[

It generally doesn't work that way - rightly or wrongly, it seems the majority of people want to hear songs that they know. Also, it isn't a question of leaving "on masse" (you mean 'en masse'), it is that you run the risk of them not buying tickets the next time Alice goes to their town and if that happens, the promoter won't book Alice the time after that.[/quote]
---------------
exactly.
been discussed here several times: even Alice is expecting the Stones to play Satisfaction, no matter how old that song is ;
guess we'll have to live with it: most shows are for "everyone" and now and then Alice gives us an unexpected song ( like Caught in a Dream on BPtour ! )
If we want to discuss or read the less obvious aspects of the whole Alice thing, we can come to...this site !
you really wouldn't understand..

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:51 am

becomes a kinda self-fulfilling prophecy though, doesn't it? he keeps playing the same things, so that's all people know and hear - so that's all they want at a concert.

still would be nice if he did a show that was all/mostly unusual stuff. he could do 4 or 6 songs of that rather than covers.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:18 pm

> he keeps playing the same things, so that's all people know and hear - so that's all they want at a concert.

I think you have misunderstood this. The kind of audience that goes to the shows already knows those songs and already likes those songs. Those songs are already familiar and popular.

>still would be nice if he did a show that was all/mostly unusual stuff. he could do 4 or 6 songs of that rather than covers.

I don't disagree but it doing that is a bit risky.

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:04 pm

patrick wrote:i think it reads as follows: Alice being bored by those questions, but we ( who read/hear everything about Alice )are equally bored hearing Alice telling the same stories once more..
however it's amazing how many times people not aquainted with the Alice story, come up with that the same question..(and fans are supposed to now the answer by now, Iguess)
Has anyone heard the version where Alice Cooper was the name of A BAND????

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:00 pm

right question and I regularly explain about the initial ACG whenever talking and explaining about Alice.

Brings me to another question : is there any group that had the name of the singer as a groupsname before? Not the Who, not the Beatles, not the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney went on with his Wings, Queen was not just Freddy and the rest , or am I wrong on this ?
Cannot find an example right now ..
Just thinking out loud..because this phenomenon is the start of this "problem"...
you really wouldn't understand..

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:30 pm

Bon Jovi?
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:44 pm

I don't think Bon Jovi were about in the late 60's?

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:06 pm

GNDM wrote:Has anyone heard the version where Alice Cooper was the name of A BAND????
No, can you fill us in on this?
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:58 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
GNDM wrote:Has anyone heard the version where Alice Cooper was the name of A BAND????
No, can you fill us in on this?

Once upon a time five musicians from Phoenix, AZ formed a band. THEY decided to name THEMSELVES 'Alice Cooper'. While in LA, THEY signed a contract to be managed by a couple of guys from NYC. The rest is Rock and Roll history.

:x

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:21 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:I don't think Bon Jovi were about in the late 60's?
Neither were Wings, and Queen were formed in 1970.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:27 pm

>THEY decided to name THEMSELVES 'Alice Cooper'.

In the interests of clarity and accuracy, you are, obviously, not denying that "THEY" agreed the focus should be one member of the band (which was the lead singer as is common with bands) even though it was not their original intention that he should have the same name that the band did.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:32 pm

kevinuk81 wrote:
Yarp, I thought the question was whether a band existed before Alice Cooper whereby the singer took the bands name (or visa versa)?

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:41 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:
kevinuk81 wrote:
Yarp, I thought the question was whether a band existed before Alice Cooper whereby the singer took the bands name (or visa versa)?
See what you mean now, cannot think of any before Alice, and not many after either.

MrD Returns
Killer
Killer

Post by MrD Returns » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:02 pm

cherrypie wrote:Random name picked out of the air, Danielle. They wanted it to sound All-American and like a blond folk singer, so people would be shocked when they showed up instead.

Really...I always thought it was because his parents really wanted a girl.
:smack:

And what's all this "chicken story" talk ???
When I die I hope I'm surrounded by burning gas and shattered chrome.

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:13 pm

MrD Returns wrote:
cherrypie wrote:Random name picked out of the air, Danielle. They wanted it to sound All-American and like a blond folk singer, so people would be shocked when they showed up instead.

Really...I always thought it was because his parents really wanted a girl.

"His" parents??? Who is "his"?

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:22 am

It's the same old song and dance: Alice Cooper Group is not the same that Alice Cooper or Alice Cooper Band (How the band call themselves now as far as I know)

Did the the band focused on the singer? Yeah, It kind of happens always

BUT PEOPLE: Alice Was not the whole band! Stop saying things like that because people may get angry because they value the musicians. I Do understand people who don't care about the drummers, bassist, guitars, etc. But keep that you yourselves.

Alice Cooper Group is not the same that Alice Cooper's Group.

Not a native speaker of english and I DO understand that.

PS: I Forgot what I Was going to post before reading the discussion. Shame on you! hahahah