Alice Cooper Planning To Release Covers Album In Spring

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Marcelocooper
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Alice Cooper Planning To Release Covers Album In Spring

Post by Marcelocooper » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:59 am

When it comes to live singing he does. I agree Alice is very underrated about his vocal performance. There were lots of great singing in the 70s. But I do agree with Andy that his vocal tecnic, not capability, became better specially on his live singing. But on the matter of his vocal capability, and mostly on the studio, he did better on the 70s.
Tyler got better both tecnicaly and on his capability, both live and on the studio.
These good little shocks must be working I’m so happy now

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:35 am

Agree with Steve C. Alice peaked between '71-'73. Hello H, Nervous, Animal 9, etc... were incredible. Image did overshadow his vocal abilities. He still had amazing performances after 1973, like FTI album, but his prime was in that era. As far as Steven Tyler, I feel he peaked between 1989-1997. Anything before or since was phenomenal, but during the period listed, he was super human! Dream On, Saddle, etc... are absolutely unbelievable from a vocal stand point. But, he got even better!

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:47 am

even live though listen to Alice on St Louis 71 or B$B live disc and compare it with the live recordings like Montreux and there is no comparison, the energy of the 70s peak years blows the other stuff out the water, technique vs the vitality of youth there is only one winner and its not as if his pitch was any better on those later recordings which in terms of range just can't compete. I also don't think Steven Tyler as great a singer as he is ever matched what he did on the likes of Dream On, just like Alice's vocal as good as it is on the last album isn't as good as his vocals on say Killer.
It's not a criticism just something people have difficulty in accepting, he's still great but not at his peak anymore but it doesn't matter as his legend is secure and if he's still enjoying recording & touring more power to him.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:03 pm

>It's not a criticism just something people have difficulty in accepting, he's still great but not at his peak anymore

I still don't fully agree although I don't deny a lot of what is in your post. However, to get back to the original point, I still think pitkin88 is completely wrong when he wrote "His voice is getting as bad as Rod's I suppose." and that's the comment that started this part of the discussion.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:12 pm

Maybe I should post some of his recent live croakings. It happened to Rod and now Paul's voice is going. There's no shame in this Amuk. It is called old age and no matter how you try and spin it it is happening to old Super Duper.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:16 pm

By Paul I meant McCartney but you could also add Stanley too. It's your daft comments like his voice is getting better that lead some to believe you are " towing the company line " with the blind defending of all things Alice that you frequently espouse.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:16 pm

>There's no shame in this Amuk. It is called old age and no matter how you try and spin it it is happening to old Super Duper.

Nobody is denying he is getting older and that his voice has changed but the exaggerated claim you made is just not true except in your ears, which is fine. I just don't think you're listening objectively.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:55 pm

pitkin88 wrote:Maybe I should post some of his recent live croakings. It happened to Rod and now Paul's voice is going. There's no shame in this Amuk. It is called old age and no matter how you try and spin it it is happening to old Super Duper.
The only time in recent memory that I can recall Alice "live croaking" was in 2010 when he was sick. That was when he was on UK TV and could barely do more than whisper. Even then, his voice was still surprisingly strong when he actually performed. He was sick at the Dayton, OH, show that year, but during the show, you could barely tell (and many probably didn't notice).

Hunter

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:44 pm

I don't see/hear a problem with Alice's vocals at all. To be honest, I think an older age 'look' plus a raspier voice suits the Alice character better than when he was younger. He sounded superb at Cropredy last year; many of the non-fan folkies commented afterwards not just about the magnificent show they'd witnessed but also how good Alice's singing was.

I'm still looking forward to the covers album - if they ever actually get round to releasing it! - but hope there's some quirky, 'left-field' moments in the grooves and it's not just a 'classic rock' run-through.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:54 pm

pitkin88 wrote:Maybe I should post some of his recent live croakings. It happened to Rod and now Paul's voice is going. There's no shame in this Amuk. It is called old age and no matter how you try and spin it it is happening to old Super Duper.
How quick they forget. Rod had thyroid cancer and underwent throat surgery. He's lucky to be singing at all much less still being able to sell his material.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Holly Grail
Killer
Killer

Post by Holly Grail » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:33 am

Well who else here thinks that the Super Duper film has "put in the fridge" any info or release dates of the new album ? I really , really hope i am wrong and the album doesnt get any delay ...

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:32 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>It's not a criticism just something people have difficulty in accepting, he's still great but not at his peak anymore

I still don't fully agree although I don't deny a lot of what is in your post. However, to get back to the original point, I still think pitkin88 is completely wrong when he wrote "His voice is getting as bad as Rod's I suppose." and that's the comment that started this part of the discussion.
yes there is no comparison, Rod's voice partially because of the cancer is shot he's a crooner these days whereas Alice is still a Rock singer. Alice's lower register is used more now as naturally his voice has changed with age, but even in his 20s he could still knock out some great lower register vocals like on parts of Desperado (obviously done in the style of Jim Morrison who he did say the song was written as a memorandum to) and Only Women Bleed (The Neil Diamond inspired 'Black eyes all of the time' line).
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:41 am

>It's your daft comments like his voice is getting betters now

If you look at my original comments, I maintain that in terms of technique, his voice has improved. That doesn't mean you or I have to prefer it to the way he sang before because I think I also said, the way he sang then was pefect for that part of his career and the way he sings now is appropriate for this part of his career.

> that lead some to believe you are " towing the company line " with the blind defending of all things Alice that you frequently espouse.

In that case, you're not paying attention because I've frequently agreed that some things can't be defended (like "Along Came A Spider" or "Dirty Diamonds" for example) and like Si, I think I've made it clear I would prefer not to hear cover songs in concert. You don't seem to understand the difference between explaining a "line" and "towing" it.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:05 am

pitkin88 wrote:...you are " towing the company line "
Pet peeve time. Perhaps you'll allow me a moment here to educate you...

Etymologically speaking, the phrase "toe the line" originated in the British Navy sometime during the 18th century. When a ship's crew fell in for formation, they were expected to stand with their toes lined up evenly. By using a wooden deck plank to keep them all straight, they would "toe the line." It means that you submit yourself completely to a set of rules.

See? Thanks to your interest in Alice Cooper, you will never misuse that phrase again.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:03 pm

Just awaiting Track Information and Release date.
Very curious to see what the 3 new tracks will be.
I really hope to see this on Vinyl and CD. No Mp3 exclusive stuff please

schinkengott
Killer
Killer

Post by schinkengott » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:00 pm

homerx, are you sure it'll be only 3 new tracks? According to a German interview there'll be 5 new ones...
Thats what a good spider does...you trap....you kill....you eat

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:50 am

I'm not sure how new tracks would fit in unless the songs are about his " dead friends ". I'd rather he keep it all covers if it is supposed to be a covers album. I think, as with a lot of his recent albums, we will get about an eps worth of good songs.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:13 am

schinkengott wrote:homerx, are you sure it'll be only 3 new tracks? According to a German interview there'll be 5 new ones...
Do you have a link for that German article ( I can read german).

schinkengott
Killer
Killer

Post by schinkengott » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:52 pm

mestreech wrote:
schinkengott wrote:homerx, are you sure it'll be only 3 new tracks? According to a German interview there'll be 5 new ones...
Do you have a link for that German article ( I can read german).

http://www.lokalkompass.de/herten/kultu ... 99265.html
Thats what a good spider does...you trap....you kill....you eat

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:32 pm

We may have to wait a while for this...

...I do not know if it comes out this year or not until next year, because there are also I can say four to five new songs to be represented. (There are) many guests to play with, but I will not tell you yet who will be just that. Okay, Orianthi (Alice Cooper tour guitarist) will be heard on it. Anyway, even that Bob Ezrin (legendary producer, among others, Alice Cooper and Kiss) produced the album...
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.