Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice Cooper Planning To Release Covers Album In Spring

Post by mestreech » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:18 am

Si wrote:http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... ore-678646

"Krieger was just at Johnny Depp's studio, working on Alice Cooper's album of covers. "I've recently played guitar on the forthcoming Alice Cooper-Johnny Depp recording project, which a tribute to their 'dead friends'," he said."

Nice. :rock:

pinkerton
Killer
Killer

Post by pinkerton » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:55 am

I have shared my fears about this album before, and now that I see 4 songs it looks they are realized. I am not looking forward to this one bit. I really think this gonna be hard one to swallow.
I'm swimming in blood.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:18 pm

Looking forward to this album.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:28 am

I'm not a fan of covers albums by anybody, I don't believe I've ever purchased one. Alice would be the only one that I would even consider. My concern is he's covering songs that have already been covered many times and that he won't change them, doing them pretty much by-the-book.

I like that there's a theme. Even though it's a covers album Alice manages to deliver a concept, that these are long gone friends he used to drink with. I'll listen to some of the songs when they're released and maybe it'll change my mind about buying.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:55 pm

Looking forward to this-although there may be many guest stars, I hope that Orianthi figures large in guitar department...Its possible this could sell quite well...classic rock star sings classic rock songs...why not...Some covers albums ok..Bowie/Pin ups..Lennon Rockn roll..wouldnt have minded "train kept a rollin" with his remaining original band mates (although wouldnt fit the ex drinking friends theme maybe)...at least he is not doing the classic american songbook or swing I hope..should be good
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:26 pm

and there is some original content for those that feel like it might not be a format you will enjoy. I think alice will deliver us a nice album,I never doubt his ability to put out a quality album.

Luney Tune
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Luney Tune » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:48 pm

Not excited about the covers album at all !! I`ll buy it of course....one thing I wondering about is which Alice is paying tribute. Is it the on stage Alice which the off stage Alice always speaks about in the third person and only appears the 90 minutes on stage or is it off stage Alice ???
It`s all in this luney tune....

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:14 pm

I generelly like covers so I am looking forward to the album and adding some new original songs is of course nice as well. I only hope that Alice do the songs like Alice and not stick so close to the originals.

And if they do include a Lou Reed song it would be nice opportunity to have Steve Hunter guest on it.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:43 pm

Swinger wrote:I generelly like covers so I am looking forward to the album and adding some new original songs is of course nice as well. I only hope that Alice do the songs like Alice and not stick so close to the originals.

And if they do include a Lou Reed song it would be nice opportunity to have Steve Hunter guest on it.

And DICK WAGNER !! :rock: :rock:

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:35 pm

mestreech wrote:
Swinger wrote:I generelly like covers so I am looking forward to the album and adding some new original songs is of course nice as well. I only hope that Alice do the songs like Alice and not stick so close to the originals.

And DICK WAGNER !! :rock: :rock:

How cool would a Lou Reed cover be with the entire band of Glan, John, Hunter and Wagner? That could bump this project into something worthwhile. Then how about covers done win a Special Forces vein? Seven and Seven Is was great and his then new take of Generation Landslide was incredible.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:56 pm

Hmmnn. I find 7 and 7 is to be just average and GL pointless. As for Lou with Dick and Steve I'd pass on that too. They hammed up The Velevets as far as I am concerned. I'm hoping for some surprises but I'm willing to bet we get about an ep's worth of decent from the album. I have no idea why he is even making a covers album as it wont sell and it will barely cover costs.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:02 pm

pitkin88 wrote:I have no idea why he is even making a covers album
Because he wants to.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:16 pm

SickThings wrote:
Because he wants to.
And he can. "If you release it, they will buy it." To paraphrase Field Of Dreams...
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:29 pm

pitkin88 wrote:As for Lou with Dick and Steve I'd pass on that too. They hammed up The Velevets as far as I am concerned.
Yeah but don't forget that Steve played on "Berlin" as well.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

alan1958
Killer
Killer

Post by alan1958 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:58 pm

pitkin88 wrote: I have no idea why he is even making a covers album

If W2MN had been a multi-platinum selling album , then I would understand your question ............but it wasn't .

So , it's back to the drawing board for Alice/Shep/Ezrin ...

With the career-resurrecting cover's albums by the likes of Rod Stewart , Tom Jones etc , well ,maybe it's worth a try .....

The novelty factor alone should garner at least a bit of publicity ...

Other options ....maybe Alice has writers block .....the other obvious option is that Alice actually WANTS to do a covers album ....

Hopefully Ezrin and co will raise the bar with this album , and do something a bit radical on some tracks ( think Kate Bush does Elton ) and NOT just straight ahead covers , like The Animals cover on the W2MN bonus tracks....

Writers block = ::((:

Loomis
Killer
Killer

Post by Loomis » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:35 am

alan1958 wrote:

If W2MN had been a multi-platinum selling album , then I would understand your question ............but it wasn't .

With the career-resurrecting cover's albums by the likes of Rod Stewart , Tom Jones etc , well ,maybe it's worth a try .....

Other options ....maybe Alice has writers block .....the other obvious option is that Alice actually WANTS to do a covers album ....

Hopefully Ezrin and co will raise the bar with this album , and do something a bit radical on some tracks ( think Kate Bush does Elton ) and NOT just straight ahead covers , like The Animals cover on the W2MN bonus tracks....

Writer's block is better than the chopping block.
Progressives are scariest thing on the planet.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:21 am

pitkin88 wrote:Hmmnn. I find 7 and 7 is to be just average and GL pointless. As for Lou with Dick and Steve I'd pass on that too. They hammed up The Velevets as far as I am concerned. I'm hoping for some surprises but I'm willing to bet we get about an ep's worth of decent from the album. I have no idea why he is even making a covers album as it wont sell and it will barely cover costs.
My expectations of this album are pretty low. I have the feeling it will be full of covers of overly familiar material and nothing too exciting (think his cover of "Fire"). Sales will likely be slightly lower than whatever his current albums sell.

Hope I'm wrong

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:09 am

SickThings wrote:
Because he wants to.

I guess. His live cover songs don't appear to be popular with the fans ( lot of bitching here )( not sure about his casual fans ) so why knock out an album full of them? What could anyone add to something like " My Generation "?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:16 am

alan1958 wrote:

His voice is getting as bad as Rod's I suppose. Don't think there's much novelty in a covers album at all and Ezrin hardly raised the bar on the previous retread of nostalgia. The last solid album was Brutal Planet which was quite a few years ago.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:09 am

I think this album will sell more than his last ones. The covers will get the attention of the non-fans. I think it will easy outsell the last ones.