Interesting discussion on 'I am Made of You'

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

GNDM

Interesting discussion on 'I am Made of You'

Post by GNDM » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:45 pm

Interesting discussion I saw on a facebook page, concerning 'I Am Made of You'.:

Erin M. When I first heard this song I thought it had a Christian theme to it...did they mean it to be like that? Or was that just me?

Evee R. that is my all time favorite song of his.......because of the emotional guitar that runs through it and has her solo chance, and clearly demonstrates his heartfelt words into an impact on those strings so well defined that any ear can understand what the song is about through that guitars voice.......!!! i absolutely love this song...and the power in it when that guitar speaks in her own magical emotional way......

Mike B. I recorded Alice's vocals on this song. He told me this might be his favorite solo EVER. I have to agree with the awesomeness of it.

Frédéric K. Great record and this song is a nec plus ultra.

Mark K. Desmond Child is a genius in my opinion, there were alot of songwriters that contributed for Trash, it was Alices comeback album, he was asked by the record label who he would like to write with and his first choice was Desmond, Alice had to guarantee a hit to the record Label and he knew Desmond could provide that HIT FOR HIM!

Robert L. I agree with Erin...it seems to be an acknowledgement of faith....and everything works so perfectly together....

Erin M. I asked Ryan Roxie about it and he said that he wouldn't be surprised if it was a Christian tune

Leif H. One cannot deny Desmond Childs qualities, but in my opinion he contributed to the least interesting Alice albume ever - Thrash. I have said it numerous times before, Alice should not sound like Bon Jovi !. Only good thing was that it put Alice back in Premier League again.

Joe J. It could be one of the best christian rock songs of 2013 if people would pay attention to the lyrics close enough and it got the radio play it deserves .........

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Interesting discussion on 'I am Made of You'

Post by killer wolf » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:22 am

wow, they spotted some christian themes. how perceptive. next they'll be telling us Alice is christian, or something.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:35 am

Leif H has listened to Thrash? Wonder when that was made?
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

MrD Returns
Killer
Killer

Post by MrD Returns » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:26 pm

Gee whiz, a Christian theme in an Alice Cooper song...whodathunkit.

I'm probably beating a dead horse here but all us oldtimers know this.
The very ESSENCE of Alice Cooper has always been and always will be "good vs evil".
You can go all the way back to Pretties For You in songs like "Fields of Regret" and find the same theme. Over and over. Not on every song and maybe nor even on every album but it's there threaded through 45 years of song writing.
So maybe the face book guys don't know this or are just pointing out the obvious. Either way...this ain't the first song that's ever had a Christian theme. And probably won't be the last.

And by the way...that's one of my favorites from W2MN as well.
When I die I hope I'm surrounded by burning gas and shattered chrome.

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:48 pm

He told me this might be his favorite solo EVER.

Well, lets hope he includes SOME version of it in the new setlist.
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:34 pm

I've always felt that one of the things that draws younger fans (older ones too?) to Alice is that he is 'safe'. He still looks wicked on stage, but he can be seen as a Christian, golf playing grampa in real life. Definitely not as threatening as some of the younger, modern-day metal musicians. Sort of 'heavy-metal' with a pillow.

old school vet
Killer
Killer

Post by old school vet » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:58 pm

GNDM wrote - Sort of 'heavy-metal' with a pillow.

That's the quote of the year! I will us that for a long time to come - Thanks GNDM

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:34 am

His beliefs have never been a big part to me. Meaning that I'm not Christian so how can I really take it to heart? But what I do love the most about Coop's lyrics, and probably the most about him, is that it's true honesty or he can be quite deceptive like the snake. He can be confusing.
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:21 pm

GNDM wrote:I've always felt that one of the things that draws younger fans (older ones too?) to Alice is that he is 'safe'. He still looks wicked on stage, but he can be seen as a Christian, golf playing grampa in real life. Definitely not as threatening as some of the younger, modern-day metal musicians. Sort of 'heavy-metal' with a pillow.
Good observation and while he might not be as threatening as some of the younger musos, he's certainly a lot more interesting.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:32 pm

The "threatening" qualities of Alice disappeared with age...just like any other band. How threatening can King Diamond, Twisted Sister, W.A.S.P., Venom, Slayer and KISS be with old age hanging on them? If you were around at the beginning of any of these bands, you would remember all the gossip and PMRC and bible thumpers worried about the end of the world.....and yes, Alice was part of that group....the Godfather of Shock Rock!

But, at 65 years old, this is what Alice's life is filled with:

1) Being married
2) Performing nearly 300 days a year
3) Recording new music
4) Playing golf nearly 365 days a year
5) Running a charity-Solid Rock
6) Recording a radio show
7) A Restaurant with his name on it.
8) Doing Interviews for himself
9) Rehearsal

and more...I am sure. He likes to go shopping...and watch old movies....
so, I am sure he sleeps sometimes...but, honestly, I am SHOCKED at what he is able to do STILL. The man is really, really active.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:03 pm

It's amazing how much more you can do if you only sleep for 5 or 6 hours a night!
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:24 pm

Sorry but not a fan of the song. I always skip it when I listen to W2MN. The Alice Cooper that I enjoy doesn't go to these places.

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Inmate » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:23 pm

Definitely my favorite song from W2MN. It's brilliant!
"I'm just another case…”

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:24 am

I would like to add that the more I listen to this cd, the better it gets. At first. when I heard this work, I was confused. I just didn't know how to feel about it. I realized to not compare it to the first one. It's impossible, WTMN is a brilliant album and it's just so high on this peak. But now I love W2MN. I think this album has some real classics. My favorite songs are "When Hell comes Home" and "Last Man on Earth." I really like almost all the tracks, but I'm sorry to say that "I am Made of You", I like the least. I know Alice has his beliefs, it's all cool to me. I also know that he's implied them a lot in songs without getting too in your face. Every person has their own device coping with this crazy world. But this song, I really hate to say, is kind of preachy to me. I don't think he even intended it to be that way. Coop respects everybody's beliefs. I know that there are people, and that's including myself, that likes his experimenting, but the tracks I always loved had this thin layer of this beautiful insanity to it. He also has his very serious moments, in which I really do love, and this track does fall into that category. But I guess what I'm really trying to say is that it's just not what I want out of Alice. Music is very personal to the Coopman, like it is with me and most, and this song was something he wanted to release. I respect that and I will always love him for it. I just hope there aren't too many more tracks like it . What's funny is that I don't even hate the song, I even like it, LOL! :bam:
Last edited by evil syd on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:52 am

I believe it's been discussed before but the lyrics work equally well in relation to his fans, wife or maybe even between Alice and Steven so I don't consider this an exclusively religious song.

Actually, I've viewed this as Alice considering himself as a bit of a Frankenstein and breaking down all the parts that make him up...with religion being one element. Whatever it is, there isn't much doubt that it's heartfelt and sincere.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:54 am

ElectedPlus wrote:I believe it's been discussed before but the lyrics work equally well in relation to his fans, wife or maybe even between Alice and Steven so I don't consider this an exclusively religious song.

Actually, I've viewed this as Alice considering himself as a bit of a Frankenstein and breaking down all the parts that make him up...with religion being one element. Whatever it is, there isn't much doubt that it's heartfelt and sincere.
Now, that's a great way to look at it. :8):

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:03 pm

ElectedPlus wrote:I believe it's been discussed before but the lyrics work equally well in relation to his fans, wife or maybe even between Alice and Steven
Yes, and it's somthing Alice himself has said.

It won't convince me though that this song is about anything other than his own relationship with a higher power. Lyrics like "then I called you from the darkness where I hide" and "a river of salvation" seem very 'biblical' to me.

The beauty of a good song, however, is that the person listening can take from the lyrics what they want and I feel Alice's comments in interviews is merely him removing any religious preconceptions that people may have and essentially providing a blank canvas for them in their minds. It really does work very well, is part of the appeal and has been done many times before (either in lyrical form or concept). I can imagine Alice takes great satisfaction from hearing people's views on the subject matter of material.

Whether you like the lyrics or not (and the adaption of his voice in parts), there's no denying that this is an instrumental masterpiece. Take a bow Steve Hunter and co!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:44 pm

>It won't convince me though that this song is about anything other than his own relationship with a higher power.

I think you're making an easy mistake. Different parts of the same song can refer to different subjects.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:41 pm

That's actually a very good point.

I'll rephrase and say that the 2 specific quotes I made relate, in my opinion, to a higher power.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:05 pm

Again, this is the reason why I love this board. You guys some time really help me rethink my viewpoints. Excellent points! :8):