Muscle of Love Album released 40 years ago

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Muscle of Love Album released 40 years ago

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:30 am

pitkin88 wrote:Yes but with Alice on vocals and some song rewrites it could have been elevated. I like it much better than the god awful Lace and Whiskey.
Not me.... L&W is near the bottom of AC albums, but it's far better than Battle Axe.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:01 am

>Glen could have returned, he looks and sounds pretty damn good on the Virgin footage.

That was ten years later though.

TodayMueller
Killer
Killer

Post by TodayMueller » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:26 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Glen could have returned, he looks and sounds pretty damn good on the Virgin footage.

That was ten years later though.
Yeah, I know. What I don't know is when he got in shape. Very little info on him from the break up 'till Virgin.

Remember a mention about him guest starring for the Dead Kennedy's (was it), whether that was before or after, I don't recall.

He might have been ready in the late 70's.
Maybe GDNM can enlighten us ?
Have no gods before me, I'm the light !

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:44 pm

>Remember a mention about him guest starring for the Dead Kennedy's (was it), whether that was before or after, I don't recall.

No but there's more information at http://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/content.p ... s/m-gb.php about the event I think you're referring to.

>He might have been ready in the late 70's.

Was Alice supposed to cancel or suspend his career based on the possibility that Glen may have been willing and able to take part in a reunion? Besides, by the end of that decade, Alice had his own problem to deal with. I hate to break it to you but by that time, Alice's life did not revolve around the original band or anything relating to it.

TodayMueller
Killer
Killer

Post by TodayMueller » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:06 am

Ah, yeah, The Dead Boys.

I'm not suggesting what Alice should or should not have done here.
I'm only playing around with the idea of what could have been.
A couple of years break, and then a come back of ACG.
Have no gods before me, I'm the light !

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:29 am

>A couple of years break, and then a come back of ACG.

I know but, by that time, things had changed.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:30 pm

went to the attic this weekend to dig up some old magazines with possible info on MOL
there was one in which Hard Hearted Alice (the movie) was announced and they asked Alice about an upcoming record. He said that surely Mike was writing things already, but they concentrated on the promotion of the movie at that time. (apparently that was the Good To See You Again Alice , we know).
In another one it was about MOL : Alice said they deliberately tolerated some mistakes on the album, in contrast with BDB, where everything was (too?) perfect..
It took four weeks to write it and three weeks to record it.
you really wouldn't understand..

Cindy Lang
Trash
Trash

Post by Cindy Lang » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:58 pm

I remember when I sat in front of the radio and listened to Radio Luxembourg on AM (anybody remember the station?) one midnight in late 1973 and they broadcasted a live interview with Alice and played songs from the forthcoming album Muscle of Love. I remember that when I first heard the songs I was blown away and I loved it, still do! At that time as a first listening it I thought it was a sequel to, belive it or not, Billion...

There are so many great songs on that album and most of them you spit on. Woman machine has an excellent theme. Never Been Sold Before is the strongest on the Album, Hippo and Crazy Little Child are among the best. I used to like the title track but changed my mind when he started to play it on the Trash tour.

And when thinking of it I guess I like the production of MoL because it's lacking Ezrin (cough). :)
"Suddenly I realize I saw it all through real eyes"

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:58 pm

[quote="Cindy Lang"]I remember when I sat in front of the radio and listened to Radio Luxembourg on AM (anybody remember the station?) one midnight in late 1973

Yep, it was on that station one evening late ,in the seventies that I first heard this record, especially TL74. Always loved the album. Listened to the japanese import cd this weekend, with the lyrics uncompleted at that time ( the booklet being full of mistakes, internet didn't exist back then.. )
Sweet memories !
you really wouldn't understand..

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:14 pm

patrick wrote:
Cindy Lang wrote:I remember when I sat in front of the radio and listened to Radio Luxembourg on AM (anybody remember the station?) one midnight in late 1973

Yep, it was on that station one evening late ,in the seventies that I first heard this record, especially TL74. Always loved the album. Listened to the japanese import cd this weekend, with the lyrics uncompleted at that time ( the booklet being full of mistakes, internet didn't exist back then.. )
Sweet memories !
The lyrics were completed at that time Patrick. The Japanese translations were always full of mistakes and guess work. I had a thread on this here, I think, a few years back. My School's Out Jap 45 has " Green Eyed Virgos Fly " instead of
" Green Eyed Fur Goes Flying ". Wonderful stuff.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:01 am

Cindy Lang wrote:I remember when I sat in front of the radio and listened to Radio Luxembourg on AM (anybody remember the station?) one midnight in late 1973 and they broadcasted a live interview with Alice and played songs from the forthcoming album Muscle of Love. I remember that when I first heard the songs I was blown away and I loved it, still do! At that time as a first listening it I thought it was a sequel to, belive it or not, Billion...

There are so many great songs on that album and most of them you spit on. Woman machine has an excellent theme. Never Been Sold Before is the strongest on the Album, Hippo and Crazy Little Child are among the best. I used to like the title track but changed my mind when he started to play it on the Trash tour.

And when thinking of it I guess I like the production of MoL because it's lacking Ezrin (cough). :)
I actually recorded that interview having got my first cassette recorder a day early for Xmas.

It was broadcast Xmas eve 1973 Ken Evans the big cheese at Luxembourg was the guy interviewing him.

Great station and though the album wasn't as good as its predecessor still a very good album.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Crazy Little Child
Killer
Killer

Post by Crazy Little Child » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:03 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
The lyrics were completed at that time Patrick. The Japanese translations were always full of mistakes and guess work. I had a thread on this here, I think, a few years back. My School's Out Jap 45 has " Green Eyed Virgos Fly " instead of
" Green Eyed Fur Goes Flying ". Wonderful stuff.
No that's right, little known fact it was actually written a bunch of folks with August birthdays on an acid trip :)

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:39 am

Cindy Lang wrote:I remember when I sat in front of the radio and listened to Radio Luxembourg on AM (anybody remember the station?) one midnight in late 1973 and they broadcasted a live interview with Alice and played songs from the forthcoming album Muscle of Love.
I first heard it on the ever-fading-in-and-out Luxembourg too. In fact Never Been Sold Before was one of their 'Power Plays', which meant they played it every hour for a while - so I listened all night! My least favourite of the 'big 5' although I still love it, except for Woman Machine, which sounds to me like it was made up as they went along :bam:
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:59 am

40 years ago next week Feb 16th 1974 (which was a Saturday) Teenage Lament 74 reached its highest position in the UK singles chart at #12. In those days the data was calculated up until the Saturday and processed on the Monday in time for the chart on the Johnny Walker show on Radio 1 Tuesday afternoon. Who would have thought then that it would take another 15 years for a single under the Alice Cooper moniker to make the Top 20 when Poison reached #2 in 1989. 1974 end of a band and an era
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV