Brutal Planet vs. The Last Temptation

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Brutal Planet vs. The Last Temptation

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:00 am

sickthing wrote:My problem with TLT is that I feel it gets quite weak in the second half...never been too fond of Unholy War and Lullaby. I used to like It's Me, but not much anymore, and Cleansed by Fire is OK but not stellar. I think the first half of the album is really strong, though.

BP is more consistent - Pessimystic is the only thing I skip.
My opinion is the exact opposite of that.

"Lullaby" is absolutely awesome by the way.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

andyrushworth
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by andyrushworth » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:49 pm

A bit late here guys because I've only just bought BP and I got the BP + DT package so don't really qualify as a legitimate judge :smack: also I aint got TLT yet ::((: but I will get it I promise :bam: always liked Alice since Schools Out ,anyway I watched the live gig on TV and when I heard Pick Up The Bones I was blown away ,what a track :love: so I picked up the CD double package , and I can't stop playing Pessamistic :HEART: what a track , absolutely brill :clap:

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:15 pm

andyrushworth wrote:A bit late here guys because I've only just bought BP and I got the BP + DT package so don't really qualify as a legitimate judge :smack: also I aint got TLT yet ::((: but I will get it I promise :bam: always liked Alice since Schools Out ,anyway I watched the live gig on TV and when I heard Pick Up The Bones I was blown away ,what a track :love: so I picked up the CD double package , and I can't stop playing Pessamistic :HEART: what a track , absolutely brill :clap:
Hurry up and but TLT. Quality album through and through.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:31 pm

I missed out on The Last Temptation after my disappointment with Hey Stoopid. I did buy Brutal Planet but never liked it. Consequently I didn't buy anymore of his Lps and only stumbled on TLT because it was on a cassette in a van I was using. It would be in my top three of Alice's solo records

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:49 am

Babysquid wrote:I missed out on The Last Temptation after my disappointment with Hey Stoopid. I did buy Brutal Planet but never liked it. Consequently I didn't buy anymore of his Lps and only stumbled on TLT because it was on a cassette in a van I was using. It would be in my top three of Alice's solo records
You didn't have to look for Alice, Alice found you. Good catch AC! :alice:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:10 am

I have tlt in my top five and BP in my bottom five.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:10 am

dadascot wrote:I have tlt in my top five and BP in my bottom five.
I was going to say something like that myself

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:54 pm

The Last Temptation is the perfect companion piece to Welcome To My Nightmare. The album is one of Alice's best. After putting up with the hair metal drivel of Trash and the hangover of Hey Stoopid it was great to hear and see Alice back into true form. Everything about the album is stellar from the cover art, music, lyrics and even the comic book. Alice had finally come back after his trip to hair metal hell.

The album does have a few minor problems with the flow--namely with Unholy War (a great song but it just doesn't fit), but to me that's really the only minor glitch. The album is an Alice masterpiece.

Brutal Planet brought Alice into the new century. Another Alice masterpiece. Again--from the cover art to the closing notes it succeeds on all levels. This is the only Alice album that truly rips your throat out. His most vicious vocals to date!

I remember Alice doing the press for the album and speaking about the horrible realities of the world and it was just a year later that September 11th took place. I remember watching the carnage on tv and all I could think about was the lyrics to "Brutal Planet".

I would call this one a draw as they are both equally great albums.

flanostu
Trash
Trash

Post by flanostu » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:45 am

Brutal Planet easily however this is my favourite Alice album. Brilliant lyrics and fantastic tour. Couldn't count how many times I've watched Brutally Live.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:14 am

Nine months ago, when I posted my initial thoughts here, I declared 'TLT' to be 'quite good, but nothing special' and somewhat 'lumpen and lumbering'. Since then I've re-assessed, after sustained listening, and now consider it a good, solid, lyrically astute, four-stars album - although I still reckon 'It's Me' is a pointless plodder.

As for 'Brutal Planet', well I consider it to be every bit as good as the group's Ezrin-produced records. Two album masterpieces I'd rank it with are:- Dylan's 'Highway 61 Revisited' - in terms of lyrical incisiveness and perceptiveness - plus Sabbath's 'Paranoid' for relentless musical tension. It grabs you by the throat from the outset, like a hellfire preacher on steroids. "We're spinning round on this ball of hate" says it all really. Genius.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:21 pm

concolz wrote: As for 'Brutal Planet', well I consider it to be every bit as good as the group's Ezrin-produced records. Two album masterpieces I'd rank it with are:- Dylan's 'Highway 61 Revisited' - in terms of lyrical incisiveness and perceptiveness - plus Sabbath's 'Paranoid' for relentless musical tension. It grabs you by the throat from the outset, like a hellfire preacher on steroids. "We're spinning round on this ball of hate" says it all really. Genius.
Really? You think songs like "Eat Some More", "Pessi-Mystic" and the total Manson ripoff "Cold Machines" are on that level?

Brutal Planet has some great great material, however it also has a few clunkers that IMO keep the album as a whole from reaching the same level as the absolute best Alice Cooper albums.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:17 pm

Funnily enough I think Eat Some More is my favourite track on BP! I do have a soft spot for slow doomy riffs though which could explain it.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:44 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
concolz wrote: As for 'Brutal Planet', well I consider it to be every bit as good as the group's Ezrin-produced records. Two album masterpieces I'd rank it with are:- Dylan's 'Highway 61 Revisited' - in terms of lyrical incisiveness and perceptiveness - plus Sabbath's 'Paranoid' for relentless musical tension. It grabs you by the throat from the outset, like a hellfire preacher on steroids. "We're spinning round on this ball of hate" says it all really. Genius.
Really? You think songs like "Eat Some More", "Pessi-Mystic" and the total Manson ripoff "Cold Machines" are on that level.
Well, it's obviously all 'horses for courses', but, for me, yes I do really rank 'BP' up there with ACG's best. I think 'Pessi-mystic' is doom and gloomily great and, whilst I'd concede that 'Eat Some More' and 'Cold Machines' are 'lesser' tracks musically - because there's not much development of their initial motifs - that doesn't detract from the overall excellence of the album, particularly on the lyrical front. (The recent 'events' in Ukraine, Gaza/Israel and Syria/Iraq have made 'BP' all the more relevant to me.)

MrD Returns
Killer
Killer

Post by MrD Returns » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:28 pm

Brutal Planet is probably my 2nd favorite AC album of all time. Coming in 2nd only to Schools Out. And probably the last tour he did that was actually based on the album. Back in the day the albums were soundtracks to the supporting tour. 7 of the 12 songs on BP were played on the Brutally Live show. Since BP his shows have kinda been a "best of" kinda thing.

Hard to believe that album is 14 years old already. How many other acts have come and gone in the last 14 years?
When I die I hope I'm surrounded by burning gas and shattered chrome.