Re: AF Masters BILLION DOLLAR BABIES

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:06 pm

A badge of honour.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:23 pm

It appears that there are a few glitches and drop outs on the cd that are very apparent when listening to with headphones on. When alerted, Hoffman of course went on the defensive blaming the age of the tape and even suggesting don't listen with headphones then. Very odd considering this is a premium version. He has banned all discussion of this and will only deal with pms on it.

From those in the know, these glitches could possibly have been easily fixed digitally. This is something Hoffman wont or cannot do.
His credo of not messing with anything on the tape rankles as if you are spending $30 on this you should not have these issues. Also he added the " take " ( which really adds nothing and is just didtracting ) which is revisionist right there.

Has Ezrin or anyone band related weighed in on the sound. I have listened though not with headphones and I am a little bit mixed on the results. You can really crank it with no distortion which is great though some songs sound a bit too smooth and lacking bite. Neals drums sound hard in places and then too mellow on others. Maybe my memory is failing me and this is how it sounds on vinyl. I intend to listen to a quality first pressing needle drop this week to see how it compares.

Gripes aside, I think this is my go to version as the Jap cds and the 2 disc are just too loud and make my ears ache.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:41 pm

>He has banned all discussion of this and will only deal with pms on it.

So I've been told - in other words, not even positive comments are allowed. It is interesting how debates and discussions seem to make some people behave in a strange way.

Fungus
Trash
Trash

Post by Fungus » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:06 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>He has banned all discussion of this and will only deal with pms on it.

So I've been told - in other words, not even positive comments are allowed. It is interesting how debates and discussions seem to make some people behave in a strange way.

Was he fired? Well, technically he is not an employee but you catch my drift. I would ask him myself but I was banned years ago for bashing Phil Collins. I would like to know if others noticed glitches on this SACD.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:48 am

>Was he fired?

I don't know.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:51 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
Toronto Bob wrote:Oh OK - I had forgotten that I made a detailed list of my audio systam and that you had deemed it "cheap, crappy". Oh wait that never happened.
I wasn't referring to you specifically.
Toronto Bob wrote: I went to the computer ripped the files and checked out the spectral frequency and lo and behold my ears weren't hearing things - there was definitely a low level hum preceding every track not present on the WB disc. For the LITD re-master @ 5:00 into Black Juju a click can be heard on the SH version. To be sure that click is there on the original WB cd @ 4:59 but it would have been such an easy fix - so with that lack of attention to detail it makes me wonder.
Hoffman doesn't do edits. He stays completely analog until the last possible moment so it's not doable. With Hoffman, you get what's on the tape so getting the highest quality tapes is of utmost importance.
Hey there - me again.

So what do you think of your buddy now? Turns out SH may be an emperor in new clothing after all.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:13 pm

Toronto Bob wrote: Hey there - me again.

So what do you think of your buddy now? Turns out SH may be an emperor in new clothing after all.
My buddy? What do you want to know that I haven't already said in this thread?

As for the disc itself, other than the glitch which is disappointing, this is the best sounding B$B I've heard.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."