Post by pinkerton » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:19 pm

ah....
I'm swimming in blood.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Your biggest disappointment in Alice's career

Post by wind_up_toy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:44 pm

Only an Alice zealot would claim that there's been no disapointments over the years. I also subscribe to the notion that there's been significantly more moments to celebrate than feel let down about.

Additionally, and as a young(ish) fan, I feel I've avoided some of the true dissapointments that our more mature friends on here had to experience. The band break-up and Alice's descent (or is that rise?) from despised outlaw to Mr Nice Guy must have been hard transitions for many to stomach. These are probably the biggest hammer blows and no doubt resulted in long term / terminal fan casualities.

Anyway, here's mine:

1. The lack of the surviving band members in the 'band split up' section of the Old School Box Set DVD. I understand the reasons for this but it does little to change the perception unfortunately.

2. The failure to build tours around the last 2 albums.

3. The Raise The Dead section of the current tour and the decision to release a covers album.

4. The Song That Didn't Rhyme.

These are overshadowed somewhat by the now never-to-be reunion tour of the original band. Again though, it wouldn't have meant as much to me as others on here so I've little to complain about really.

A dissapointment I hope that doesn't happen is no solo box set on a par with Old School.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

pinkerton
Killer
Killer

Post by pinkerton » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:00 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:Only an Alice zealot would claim that there's been no disapointments over the years. I also subscribe to the notion that there's been significantly more moments to celebrate than feel let down about.

Additionally, and as a young(ish) fan, I feel I've avoided some of the true dissapointments that our more mature friends on here had to experience.

pretty well said....
I'm swimming in blood.

TodayMueller
Killer
Killer

Post by TodayMueller » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:03 pm

Apparently, Alice was in Chile in '95.
There's a bootleg recording from the show, shown on this site's "bootleg" section.
Have no gods before me, I'm the light !

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:04 pm

>These are probably the biggest hammer blows and no doubt resulted in long term / terminal fan casualities.

No, I think there is quite a bit of "doubt", actually. This has been discussed here before - I agree it did some damage at that time but it's too long ago to have any residual impact.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:06 pm

>Apparently, Alice was in Chile in '95.

I don't think that's the show Lucius Morthem is referring to

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:15 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Did this bad piece of business cost them a lot of money or not?

Which "bad piece of business" are you referring to? The "business" in 1968 when the band signed with Bizarre and because the band had no power, Bizarre wanted ALL of the publishing until Shep managed to salvage a portion of it? Again, you don't know all the facts.

No I was not referring to this so the facts you refer to are irrelevant. I was referring to the lawyers who managed to royally mess up and leave the band w ACGH. I read about this in Michael's book. I believe Shep hired them so the buck stops there. Are you saying Michael is lying?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:18 pm

scotty wrote:I'm with andy on dennis dunaway's medical bills....even if that was true,what the heck does that have to do with his career? if he payed them in full,how does this make his career better? very strange statement.
I'm thinking more of his reputation as being a good Christian. He cared less for his oldest friend.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:22 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>6) Shep Gordon hiring inept lawyers who lost the bands publishing and cost them all a ton of money.

I think you're referring to the lawsuit in 1973 or 1974 and if so, what you don't know and are assuming (because you're repeating what you've read) is that the lawsuit was about the rights to the songs but it was not. That issue did inded become part of the settlement of a wider issue. It was not what the lawsuit was about.

>7) Alice not paying Dennis's medical bills when he was really ill with Crohn's.

How is that any of your business? How do you know Dennis didn't have insurance?

It doesn't have to be my business. It is something that disappointed ME. Need a letter for the Hollywood sign? No problem. Need help with your medical bills? No class.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:27 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>These are probably the biggest hammer blows and no doubt resulted in long term / terminal fan casualities.

No, I think there is quite a bit of "doubt", actually. This has been discussed here before - I agree it did some damage at that time but it's too long ago to have any residual impact.
Well possibly Andy and you're in a better position to judge I'd say. But there's some evidence to suggest that the original fan base dwindled during the Muscle of Love era. Whether they ever returned is a bit of a mystery.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:32 pm

<I was referring to the lawyers who managed to royally mess up and leave the band w ACGH. I read about this in Michael's book.

Again, you don't know the facts. That isn't what happened. Unfortunately, that publication isn't the best source of information on this issue.

>I believe Shep hired them so the buck stops there.

If you hire a bad plumber, is it your fault?

> Are you saying Michael is lying?

No. I am saying he is mistaken.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:33 pm

>He cared less for his oldest friend.

How do you know?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:34 pm

It doesn't have to be my business. It is something that disappointed ME.

If it isn't your business, you don't need to be "disappointed". It becomes irrelevant.

>Need a letter for the Hollywood sign? No problem. Need help with your medical bills? No class.

Again, you have no evidence of that.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:37 pm

>But there's some evidence to suggest that the original fan base dwindled during the Muscle of Love era. Whether they ever returned is a bit of a mystery.

There is some truth to that (I recommend the thread where this was discussed) but you have to remember that you're talking about something that happened around forty years ago - that is something like eight generations of audiences and hardly any of those people care about what happened during the time you refer to.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:39 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:<I was referring to the lawyers who managed to royally mess up and leave the band w ACGH. I read about this in Michael's book.

Again, you don't know the facts. That isn't what happened. Unfortunately, that publication isn't the best source of information on this issue.

>I believe Shep hired them so the buck stops there.

If you hire a bad plumber, is it your fault?

> Are you saying Michael is lying?

No. I am saying he is mistaken.

Yes It is because you did not do your research.

Why don't you call Michael who was there ( you were not ) and tell him he was " mistaken ".

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:41 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:It doesn't have to be my business. It is something that disappointed ME.

If it isn't your business, you don't need to be "disappointed". It becomes irrelevant.

>Need a letter for the Hollywood sign? No problem. Need help with your medical bills? No class.

Again, you have no evidence of that.

So you have evidence that Alice helped Dennis with his bills? Please reveal.

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:08 pm

ANYWAY....................One of my biggest disappointments wasn't really about his career, it was simply that his determination to piss off parents worked so well, mine wouldn't let me go to see him in 1972/3.

Also I wish the BDB tour had come here to the UK. And I was gutted when the original band split up.

Lace and Whiskey was kinda disappointing too....
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

larryelbows
Trash
Trash

Post by larryelbows » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:55 pm

I do get sick of hearing how his show is more theatrical than ever, and then it's the same show he's been touring since 2008, basically. Although I'd rather have him still touring, and I'll go to watch regardless.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:10 pm

larryelbows wrote:I do get sick of hearing how his show is more theatrical than ever, and then it's the same show he's been touring since 2008, basically. Although I'd rather have him still touring, and I'll go to watch regardless.
You have a good point here. :rock: :clap:

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:10 pm

cherrypie wrote:ANYWAY....................One of my biggest disappointments wasn't really about his career, it was simply that his determination to piss off parents worked so well, mine wouldn't let me go to see him in 1972/3.

Also I wish the BDB tour had come here to the UK. And I was gutted when the original band split up.

Lace and Whiskey was kinda disappointing too....
Ohhh, that is sad.