Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Your biggest disappointment in Alice's career

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:35 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
The deep end is often filled with shallow people.
Yeah, that's not a saying and doesn't remotely ring true but I do have a phrase for you "Brevity is the soul of wit" and here's a word for you "didactic"

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:04 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:
mr.barlow wrote:
The deep end is often filled with shallow people.
Yeah, that's not a saying and doesn't remotely ring true but I do have a phrase for you "Brevity is the soul of wit" and here's a word for you "didactic"
This is very typical of you. You are always more concerned about style instead of substance. You can laugh at my style but you can't argue the facts. I also have a word for you and it also starts with the letter "d".

rtbuck
Killer
Killer

Post by rtbuck » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:23 pm

I basically have liked everything Coop has put out but I was a bit disappointed in "Trash" . I love the title track but most of the other tracks just didn't sit well with me(Bed of Nails, Spark in the Dark, This Maniac's in Love with you). At the time I really didn't care for "Poison" & "Only My Heart Talking" but after a few years I didn't mind the album. I did think the video Alice Cooper Cooper Trashes the World was great(the bassist T Bone Caradonna was awesome)

Not that I was disappointed in them but I very seldom pull out Dragontown & Eyes of Alice Cooper as opposed to the rest of the Cooper albums.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:24 am

this thing about Christianity and its influence on Alice Cooper that was mentioned in this thread. I always thought that influence made for interesting lyrics, just listen to Second Coming for instance. The devil has all the best tunes but religion can be a good subject matter
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:57 am

This may sound disrespectful and ignorant but I think it was his admittance to being a born again and a gulf loving family man LOL! Not that there is anything wrong with it and I do understand because he is getting older and why wouldn't he be truthful. Believe me, it's all good and I love the Coopster. But it also took from his mystique, his sinister side. You see, when I was a kid, he really creeped me out and I'm sure most people. Now he's just a parody of his former self. But that's not important, it's his music and that is the most important part about the Coop. I feel that he did have something to offer in all his eras. His weakest was his hair metal days but even there I do like some the tracks and Kane's sloppy heavy cool technique.
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:04 am

Kane's technique was never sloppy
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:05 am

listen to a solo like Freedom it is very precise

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:48 am

In regards to Evil Syd, at the age of 66 & with such a remarkable legacy, it's probably incorrect to say Alice has become a "parody of himself" and it took away from his mystique. I kind of know what you are saying to a degree, but it would be embarrassing for him to act like he did in '71 or '72 at his current age. He most likely would not be alive if he kept up the image (which Alice admits). Maybe in '77 people might have made that claim of being a parody ( I would not have), but at this point,most fans and critics are aware that he leaves "Alice" on stage.

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:05 am

Biggest disappointment has been that Vince seems to be writing material targeted at a very young audience. With my own age at 47 - I just really can't connect with the new stuff at all..

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:08 am

Mr.Bluelegs wrote:In regards to Evil Syd, at the age of 66 & with such a remarkable legacy, it's probably incorrect to say Alice has become a "parody of himself" and it took away from his mystique. I kind of know what you are saying to a degree, but it would be embarrassing for him to act like he did in '71 or '72 at his current age. He most likely would not be alive if he kept up the image (which Alice admits). Maybe in '77 people might have made that claim of being a parody ( I would not have), but at this point,most fans and critics are aware that he leaves "Alice" on stage.
I agree fully, and it can't be helped. It's actually the course of life that his changed image, and well it should of. An example: there was a time when I wouldn't of wanted to be on stage with him because who knows what he would of done LOL! Now, he would mostly back off and call the guards which is normal thing to do. You see where I'm getting at? The times have changed the tone of his presence.
He's changed, the character has changed. The villain is now more of a good guy, You know what he's all about, maybe you have met him before, and he's a great guy. Years ago, people knew less about him and were kind of shocked by his presence. Again, I'm glad these changes came about, his healthy and I love him like a brother just like I did years ago.
Last edited by evil syd on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:10 am

steven_crayn wrote:Kane's technique was never sloppy
Maybe I didn't give a good description. His technique was very unique, I loved it.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:34 pm

>it's probably incorrect to say Alice has become a "parody of himself" and it took away from his mystique.

Also, one could argue that if that did happen, then it happened in 1973 when Alice started being known for playing golf, or in 1974, when he started appearing on mainstream television programmes. Obviously, if evil syd was too young to notice that at the time, then he can't be blamed for thinking the way he did in 1994 when the whole subject of Alice's faith became a bigger issue.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:36 pm

>The villain is now more of a good guy,

I don't know about that, but certainly more of a 'prophet of doom', I think.

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:02 pm

When Evil Syd mentioned not wanting to be onstage with Alice,it reminded me of that scene from Good to See You AC where that young male fan was in a RAGE in the live concert sequence. I can't think of the particular song as of this writing. Alice said or did something & the kid was freaking out. Hilarious how Alice paid no attention to him. I wondered if that young man ever saw himself in the footage, or what he would say about the incident 40 years on.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:00 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>it's probably incorrect to say Alice has become a "parody of himself" and it took away from his mystique.

Also, one could argue that if that did happen, then it happened in 1973 when Alice started being known for playing golf, or in 1974, when he started appearing on mainstream television programmes. Obviously, if evil syd was too young to notice that at the time, then he can't be blamed for thinking the way he did in 1994 when the whole subject of Alice's faith became a bigger issue.
Depends on what you think is too young LOL!

KeithGale
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by KeithGale » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:43 pm

Biggest disappointment has been that Vince seems to be writing material targeted at a very young audience. With my own age at 47 - I just really can't connect with the new stuff at all..

One of the reason I don't post here, is because of the statements above, referring to Alice as Vince, it is clearly documented that Alice has been called Alice since the inception of the name, you would be very hard pushed to find evidence to the contrary. When you hear Mike Bruce, Dennis Dunnaway, Neal Smith and Glen Buxton refer to Vince as Alice back in the early days, then it's accepted that who is he is!!
You may not like it or agree with it, but the precedent was set and everyone in the media went with it!!!
I would also state that 'Vince' was a brave man to accept the moniker of Alice, there are a lot of so called 'red blooded males' out there that would baulk at the thought of being given a girls name!!

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:03 am

KeithGale wrote:Biggest disappointment has been that Vince seems to be writing material targeted at a very young audience. With my own age at 47 - I just really can't connect with the new stuff at all..

One of the reason I don't post here, is because of the statements above, referring to Alice as Vince, it is clearly documented that Alice has been called Alice since the inception of the name, you would be very hard pushed to find evidence to the contrary. When you hear Mike Bruce, Dennis Dunnaway, Neal Smith and Glen Buxton refer to Vince as Alice back in the early days, then it's accepted that who is he is!!
You may not like it or agree with it, but the precedent was set and everyone in the media went with it!!!
I would also state that 'Vince' was a brave man to accept the moniker of Alice, there are a lot of so called 'red blooded males' out there that would baulk at the thought of being given a girls name!!
It's Alice. Not Vince, Vinnie or Vincent. It's Alice, but not the one in Wonderland.

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:12 am

KeithGale wrote:Biggest disappointment has been that Vince seems to be writing material targeted at a very young audience. With my own age at 47 - I just really can't connect with the new stuff at all..

Relax cowboy.. I won't do it again...

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:24 am

You maybe a little too sensitive, but just a little. ;)

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:30 am

>I would also state that 'Vince' was a brave man to accept the moniker of Alice, there are a lot of so called 'red blooded males' out there that would baulk at the thought of being given a girls name!!

Exactly and in what are supposed to be more enlightened times, nowadays, some people may not understand how daring and controversial it was to do that.