Re: "My Dead Drunk Friends"

Post by GNDM » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:33 am

Myself? I would prefer the title of - "My Dead, Drunk, FAMOUS Friends"

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:16 am

>I'm not referring to anything as shocking or not.

I didn't say you were. I was pointing out that it wouldn't be a surprise if there was anything irreverent in his lyrics. His entire career is pretty much built on satire, sarcasm and irreverence.

>Alice has been disrespectful many times but I didn't think it was his intention to be disrespectful and irreverent to rock legends

There is a difference between "disrespectful and irreverent" though. They are not the same and the tone is certainly different.

>and his "friends" like John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, etc as you are suggesting.

I agree he is not being "disrespectful". He is being somewhat "irreverent" though.

>The lyrics on FTI are a reference to Alice alive and drinking with his long hair drunken friends which is a different context than referring to My Dead Drunk Friends.

How do you know who he is referring to? He probably means his friends that are bith dead and alive. There is also the lyric "Proposed a toast to Jimmy's ghost" and the album is dedicated to Keith Moon as well. Also, it isn't clear what you find "disrespectful". The fact that he refers to them as no longer being alive or the fact that he reveals that they were drunk?

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:23 pm

"Also, it isn't clear what you find "disrespectful". The fact that he refers to them as no longer being alive or the fact that he reveals that they were drunk?"

Maybe it's not or perhaps it's in the eyes of the beholder. Revealing anything isn't the issue since I'm sure everyone knows or wouldn't be surprised that they were drinkers.

I have tried to imagine say the last remaining member of the Rat Pack (I don't know what order they died, perhaps Sinatra was last) writing a book about his friends and calling it My Dead Drunk Friends and perhaps it would work. At best it's jocular but at worst it reduces the lives and legacies of these people to being drunks and takes an irreverent and flippant tone towards their death.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:25 pm

Remember reading how he also was using "The Hollywood Vampires" for a baseball team back in 1974, I think in 16 or TIGER BEAT with Mickey Dolenz and Davy Jones. I think HOLLYWOOD VAMPIRES would be a great title for the new album
"I need everything the world owes me..."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:17 pm

> Revealing anything isn't the issue since I'm sure everyone knows or wouldn't be surprised that they were drinkers.

That is my point. So, how is it "disrespectful"?

> At best it's jocular but at worst it reduces the lives and legacies of these people to being drunks and takes an irreverent and flippant tone towards their death.

Alice Cooper has, pretty much from the beginning, been "irreverent and flippant" about almost everything. It is a big part of his personality. He finds almost everything about life and human beings to be ridiculous or absurd in some way and those notions underline almost everything he had ever done. He takes very few things seriously. I don't know how long you have been following his career but it is the most consistent attitude in almost everything he has ever written. To not be aware of that is to miss out on a huge part of what motivates him to write.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:18 pm

>Remember reading how he also was using "The Hollywood Vampires" for a baseball team back in 1974,

It was the name given to the musicians on "Alice Cooper Goes To Hell" as well.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:38 pm

That's right, it was, now that I remember it. Have the sleeve info in Scrapbook #3, but alas, not one of my favorites from him :( . Thanks for jogging my memory banks!
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:13 am

Not disrespectul. Being drunk at the time was so rock and roll and fun. Some of them died of it, but they live to the limit, like rock and roll should be. They raw,,,k and croak, Hi, hi....

Crazy Little Child
Killer
Killer

Post by Crazy Little Child » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:16 am

Apprantly live he's calling it the "Raise The Dead" part of the show. I'm a fan of well-chosen, well-played covers, generally, so i'm looking forward to it. I like "We Gotta Get Out Of This Place", but maybe that's down to Vince Gill :)

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:26 am

> I like "We Gotta Get Out Of This Place", but maybe that's down to Vince Gill

I think "I Gotta Get Outta Here" is the song you're referring to.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:37 am

don't see a problem with drink and Christianity Jesus was partial to a nice red! :laugh:
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV