Which are YOUR comeback albums?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Which are YOUR comeback albums?

Post by darkmenace » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:26 pm

Had some free time driving the other day and was thinking about Alice's career. It occurred to me there were a few times I was losing interest but my interest returned because a new album got me excited again. It isn't easy to be a lifetime fan on one artist, there needs to be new stuff that actually excites.

Here are my "comeback" albums:

From the Inside: I was down on Alice's solo career starting with ACGTH but especially L&W and the horrible King of the Silver Screen tour which I saw live. I didn't like the live album either and my interest in Alice was definitely waning. From the Inside brought me back, a great album and tour. My interest continued through all the early 80s albums.

The Last Temptation: My interest hit the skids again with Constrictor and the albums that followed. Trash and HS just weren't Alice albums to me; not what I liked from him and not distinctive to him. Then came TLT and this was the Alice I enjoyed, a good storyteller and creative concept. Enjoyed the comic book also.

I dare say I'm reaching the point again where I could use another great album. I've enjoyed just about everything from TLT to DD and then came ACAS and W2MN both of which I never listen to. Hoping the next one is my third "comeback" from Alice.

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Which are YOUR comeback albums?

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:35 pm

You want sequels of those albums?

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:38 pm

constrictor is actually my comeback pick. he had been gone 3 years (a pretty big time off then.) he was back with a new label deal,had a big tour,his most successful image was back,"he's back" saw some decent success,and it was all a huge upgrade from the bombs of the early '80's and weird image that clearly wasn't working career wise.
and of course he was finally healthy,which ties in to the comeback,as no career is better off under the influence of drink.

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:45 pm

scotty wrote:constrictor is actually my comeback pick. he had been gone 3 years (a pretty big time off then.) he was back with a new label deal,had a big tour,his most successful image was back,"he's back" saw some decent success,and it was all a huge upgrade from the bombs of the early '80's and weird image that clearly wasn't working career wise.
and of course he was finally healthy,which ties in to the comeback,as no career is better off under the influence of drink.
Good choice.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:37 am

I was so disappointed with constrictor and hated, and still do, RYFAY that I loved Trash and the whole career revival. After BP and , in my opinion the appalling Dragontown Eyes was fantastic and certainly got me interested again,

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:08 am

dadascot wrote:. After BP and , in my opinion the appalling Dragontown Eyes,
Damn, I love Dragontown. I find that album his most underrated album.
Anyway, I guess for me it would be the "Hey Stoopid" album. I really wasn't too thrilled with his hair metal career on the most part and this album took Alice more into his direction.
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:17 am

Never lost interest to a great extent but a low point for me Lace and W..FTI was first comeback for me...time off mid 80's so Constrictor was a comeback although not great imo(but glad to have him back)...time off after TLT(v good album)...so Brutal Planet another comeback...Dragontown for me the last real low...so albums after that a continual comeback... I even like ACAS (although some reservations)...most Alice albums have some redeeming features for me..so even when Alice went heavy metal(constrictor/RYF) and then hair metal (Trash) Alice was still in there
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:36 pm

Comeback 1 - Constrictor! I'd bought all AC's previous studio albums (although L&W left me nonplussed) but couldn't stand Flush The Fashion. Clones/Pain aside I hated the tinny sound and banal lyrics. Missed out on next three albums but decided to take a punt on Constrictor as it was also AC's comeback too. BIG mistake! It made FTF look like the work of a genius; lyrics that even Motley Crue would have rejected. Thrill My Gorilla my arse.

Comeback 2 - Trash!! Missed out RYFAY but when Poison (which I like) charted I took another punt on this. Doubly big mistake! Talk about all surface and no depth.

The Final Comeback (hopefully) - The Last Temptation. Missed out on Hey Stoopid - although I did buy it years later - and, hey, at last a 'proper' Alice album. Since then have bought everything, although I didn't like Eyes.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:48 pm

Good idea and observations here...
Comeback #1-Although I liked FROM THE INSIDE after the spotty run from ACGTH, LAW and TACS, FLUSH THE FASHION really grew on me and it was and is still played constantly.

Comeback #2-The early 80's albums after FTF were hit and miss for me (although all have grown on me) and although I found (and find) CONSTRICTOR a little cheesy, at least he sounded focused and was rocking out again. Also first tour I saw, so CONSTRICTOR has a special place for me and as Scotty pointed out, he was no longer under the influence of drink.

Comeback #3-THE LAST TEMPTATION sounded so good after probably my least favorite run of albums, from RTFAY, the horrid TRASH and the marginally better HS. TLT has such good songs, playing and a strong storyline, which got me into exploring the earlier albums I may have overlooked.

Comeback #4-DIRTY DIAMONDS :rock: -LOVED BRUTAL PLANET and thought DRAGONTOWN was just lukewarm BP leftovers (tour was still great) and TEOAC has too many clunkers. Everything works on DD, even "Stand" -as much as I hate rap, think Alice is good on here.
Have liked everything afterwards, even ACAS, although it teeters dangerously close to sucking. And according to what I've read, most of you seem to think that it does!
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:49 am

I Think Constrictor is a comeback for the reason of the non tour era.

Dragontown I Always thought it was an underrated album, mistaken as BP. Leftovers (In my opinion ALice got a too long album and created a sequel, also DT might be underrated but the tour was way better than Brutally live)

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:38 pm

At the time it came out I liked Dragontown better than Brutal Planet. I still think it's a good album.

old school vet
Killer
Killer

Post by old school vet » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:03 pm

Special Forces, my first tour and I thought that I would never get to see Alice perform live let alone get a new album. My right ear has never been the same since that night in February 1982.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:03 am

darkmenace wrote:At the time it came out I liked Dragontown better than Brutal Planet. I still think it's a good album.
The album is very cool........ :alice:
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:55 pm

darkmenace wrote:At the time it came out I liked Dragontown better than Brutal Planet.
I still do!