The Strange Case of Alice Cooper, fixed it!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

The Strange Case of Alice Cooper, fixed it!

Post by Toronto Bob » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:39 pm

Like many of you who purchased TSCOAC dvd, I found the audio on this barely above the sq of the multi-generational VHS dubs we had previous. Frankly I was baffled ;)
there are excellent audio versions of the show that have circulated for quite some time - seeing as it was broadcasted on syndicated radio, yet we end up with a bootlegy sound - wtf.

So I set myself out on a mission to correct this agregious error. It took some time and patience but the end result was worh it. Finally a clear sounding San Diego synced with the flimed concert. Nice stereo seperation, Davey Johnstone's solos from the right and Hunter comes at you from the left. Clear crisp drums - everything. Unfortunately I have no sonic upgrade for Ballad of Dwight Fry and Inmates so I had to revert to the dvd's original soundtrack. If anyone has superior sounding versions of those two tracks, pm me.

I encourage anyone who has the dvd and was dissatified with the sq,to attempt this. You need to adjust the speed of your upgraded audio to the dvd soundtrack and then you need to replicate all the audio edits found on the dvd (even the terrible ones) but I can say without reservation, the end results are a much more pleasurable listening/viewing experience.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: The Strange Case of Alice Cooper, fixed it!

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:51 pm

>the multi-generational VHS dubs we had previous.

Did you not own an original copy?

>seeing as it was broadcasted on syndicated radio, yet we end up with a bootlegy sound

Obviously, you're a massive audiophile but that really is an exaggeration. While the quality of the audio on the DVD wasn't absolute perfection, it was an improvement compared with the original tape.

>- wtf.

Thar is easy to explain. The recording that was broadcast is not owned by the same company that filmed the concert, or who now own the footage. That is why there are two different sources.

>So I set myself out on a mission to correct this agregious error.

There was no "error" - just two different sources.

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:27 pm

Same here, there was no error. And if you do not own an original copy, can't complain at all

Luckily if there's people who doesn't own the Strange case, Shoutfactory uploaded the videos to youtube

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:23 pm

I didn't own an original vhs of TSCOA it was not a title widely available and was out only a limited time. I know of only one friend who has an oiginal copy and even he bought it second hand.

Does the original vhs have better sq than the current dvd? IIRC, it doesn't but that's based on one viewing over ten years ago. Why is it all other major bands seem to be able to secure rights to older releases but somehow secoring rights seems to be such an issue with AC releases?

Lucius Morthem wrote:Same here, there was no error. And if you do not own an original copy, can't complain at all

Luckily if there's people who doesn't own the Strange case, Shoutfactory uploaded the videos to youtube
Not sure I follow - I own the Shout Factory release of TSCOAC dvd. I found the audio to be inferior to the KBFH version and the Studio Jam broadcast and I did something about it.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:51 pm

Toronto Bob wrote: Does the original vhs have better sq than the current dvd? IIRC, it doesn't but that's based on one viewing over ten years ago.
I have an original VHS copy and I believe it's in mono but I'd have to go back and verify.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:21 am

>I didn't own an original vhs of TSCOA it was not a title widely available and was out only a limited time. I know of only one friend who has an oiginal copy and even he bought it second hand.

In that case, why did you write "we" instead of "I" in your first post? Why woould you be so self - centered to think that what applied to you applied to everyone else as well? Also, the item appears on eBay on quite a regular basis (and not heugely expensive, either).

>Why is it all other major bands seem to be able to secure rights to older releases but somehow secoring rights seems to be such an issue with AC releases?

If you had any experience of the music business, you would know the answer to that. Not every situation is the same. For one thing, the original soundtrack to the film was very probably not recorded onto multi - track tapes. It probably went straight onto the 35mm film. That will give excellent clarity but not, obviously, to your incredibly high standards. Also, you don't know which resources (such as time and money) were available to Shout Factory that would allow them to look for the King Biscuit Flower Hour recording, get permission to use it and then use that recording on this new version. Also, you don't know if any of the original film reels have survived, which means you don't know what the source of the footage was that they used. Also, "rights" are owned by various different entities. It takes time and money to negotiate an agreement. Does that answer your question?

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:26 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>I didn't own an original vhs of TSCOA it was not a title widely available and was out only a limited time. I know of only one friend who has an oiginal copy and even he bought it second hand.

In that case, why did you write "we" instead of "I" in your first post? Why woould you be so self - centered to think that what applied to you applied to everyone else as well? Also, the item appears on eBay on quite a regular basis (and not heugely expensive, either).

>Why is it all other major bands seem to be able to secure rights to older releases but somehow secoring rights seems to be such an issue with AC releases?

If you had any experience of the music business, you would know the answer to that. Not every situation is the same. For one thing, the original soundtrack to the film was very probably not recorded onto multi - track tapes. It probably went straight onto the 35mm film. That will give excellent clarity but not, obviously, to your incredibly high standards. Also, you don't know which resources (such as time and money) were available to Shout Factory that would allow them to look for the King Biscuit Flower Hour recording, get permission to use it and then use that recording on this new version. Also, you don't know if any of the original film reels have survived, which means you don't know what the source of the footage was that they used. Also, "rights" are owned by various different entities. It takes time and money to negotiate an agreement. Does that answer your question?
Not in the least does it answer any questions I have - but we don't read from the same book you and I.

Odd how you would advocate someone going to buy on ebay. Reselling copyrighted material? Wow that's a much more egregious transgression to copyright laws (which you seem to hold as God's word sent down from the mountain) than posting a link to watch a 3 minute clip for FREE. Seems like your moral compass is way off. Aside from that, my vhs consumption has slowed down a bit these days, I have my tapes next to my 8-tracks.

As far as securing rights goes, sure each case can have its' particulars but funny how time and again the AC camp comes up short. Perhaps someone should have sewn up those rights at the time.

No matter, this was just a little personal project and I thought I'd share the info and encourage people to do the same.

How about I mail you a copy Andy? Wouldn't you like to watch TSCOAC in clear stereo? I don't even want anything in return - I'll buy the shipping materials and pay for postage myself. My reward would come from knowing a fellow AC fan will get pleasure from watching this.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:26 pm

I would love to hear a copy. Give me a pm please. :rock: :rock:

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:26 pm

>Not in the least does it answer any questions I have

Did it answer the specific question you asked, though?

>Odd how you would advocate someone going to buy on ebay. Reselling copyrighted material?

Selling unwanted possessions that you have legally already purchased is not forbidden by eBay nor by this site. I am beginning to wonder if you actually know what copyright is.

>that's a much more egregious transgression to copyright laws

That shows that you don’t understand what copyright is. There is NO "transgression". Preventing the sale of unwanted recording that was legally manufactured and purchased because of a breach of copyright is not enforceable on because no copies are being made.

> (which you seem to hold as God's word sent down from the mountain)

No - just the “word” of the owner of this site.

>Aside from that, my vhs consumption has slowed down a bit these days, I have my tapes next to my 8-tracks.

What does that have to do with this issue?

>As far as securing rights goes, sure each case can have its' particulars but funny how time and again the AC camp comes up short. Perhaps someone should have sewn up those rights at the time.

We have discussed this previously - I invite anyone who is interested to look for the old thread.

>No matter, this was just a little personal project and I thought I'd share the info and encourage people to do the same.

Nobody is stopping you from doing that. It is just the way you did it. If you don’t like the message, 'don’t shoot the messenger' as they saying goes – tell it to the owner of this site.

>How about I mail you a copy Andy?

That is generous of you but no thanks.

>Wouldn't you like to watch TSCOAC in clear stereo?

I don’t feel a huge need to do that but again, thanks.

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:32 am

I Know the rules on this site and bootlegs cannot be posted in here

Everybody knows the forum rules, we're a community, DOn't be an asshole and break the rules :D

Aside from that, in a personal opinion I believe bootlegs should be for commenting and sharing, I'm against the selling of a bootleg, But I'm in favor of sharing it. Of couse Bootlegs are not ripped out dvds as many people may think and call themselves "bootleggers" and they sell cheap copies of Trashes the world

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:29 am

I'm against the selling of a bootleg, But I'm in favor of sharing it.

I agree (and yes, that still infringes someone's rights).

>Of couse Bootlegs are not ripped out dvds as many people may think and call themselves "bootleggers" and they sell cheap copies of Trashes the world

Those are actually referred to as 'pirate' copies (it's quite an important distinction) but the word 'bootleg' is used to describe, in a sort of generic way, both any illegally recorded performance and any illegally manufactured recording of that performance, even though they are different.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:32 am

This is part of the rules and guidelines, wonder how many have read it.

6. You agree not to post links to any officially released material. Nor will you advertise the sale of bootleg or pirate recordings on SickthingsUK. You can discuss the existance of said materials or ask about the availability ("does anyone have..?") but DO NOT publically offer to supply such materials, especially for money. Take it to private email/PM. Discussion on audio/video trading is permitted but you must not arrange trading deals on the message board.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:35 am

>I have an original VHS copy and I believe it's in mono

There's no indication on the packaging on any of my copies, but that what you wrote makes sense as it is unlikely that televisions had stereo sound back then (and equally unlikely that video - tape players had stereo capability, also).

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:36 am

>wonder how many have read it.

Exactly.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:59 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>I have an original VHS copy and I believe it's in mono

There's no indication on the packaging on any of my copies, but that what you wrote makes sense as it is unlikely that televisions had stereo sound back then (and equally unlikely that video - tape players had stereo capability, also).
Few, if any, televisions had stereo. And yes, the original VHS was definitely mono.

Hunter

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:24 pm

Lucius Morthem wrote:I Know the rules on this site and bootlegs cannot be posted in here

Everybody knows the forum rules, we're a community, DOn't be an asshole and break the rules :D

Aside from that, in a personal opinion I believe bootlegs should be for commenting and sharing, I'm against the selling of a bootleg, But I'm in favor of sharing it. Of couse Bootlegs are not ripped out dvds as many people may think and call themselves "bootleggers" and they sell cheap copies of Trashes the world
If that comment is directed at me, you're off base. I was not remotely talking about bootlegs or offering anything for sale.

kevinuk81 wrote:This is part of the rules and guidelines, wonder how many have read it.

6. You agree not to post links to any officially released material. Nor will you advertise the sale of bootleg or pirate recordings on SickthingsUK. You can discuss the existance of said materials or ask about the availability ("does anyone have..?") but DO NOT publically offer to supply such materials, especially for money. Take it to private email/PM. Discussion on audio/video trading is permitted but you must not arrange trading deals on the message board.
Again, if directed at me - way off the mark. The only thing I did that could remotely be considered as "breaking the rules" is post a youtube link to "Serious" with the upgraded audio. Shout Factory themselves have posted numerous full length songs from the dvd on to youtube so posting one link is not giving anyone access to material that they didn't already have. Hardly an egregious flaunting of rules. To quote a rule about advertising sales of bootleg and pirated material is over the top. I wasn't offering anything to anyone, just encouraging people to do a little fix-it project for themselves. It can be done with a little know how and patience.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:52 pm

>The only thing I did that could remotely be considered as "breaking the rules" is post a youtube link to "Serious" with the upgraded audio.

Exactly.

> Shout Factory themselves have posted numerous full length songs from the dvd on to youtube

This is incredible. You STILL don't understand. YOU ARE NOT SHOUT FACTORY - THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO DO THAT. YOU DO NOT.

> so posting one link is not giving anyone access to material that they didn't already have.

YOU STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND. The more people go to the Shout Factory link, the more money they will receive from advertising revenues based on their agreement with YouTube and the more money they make, the more incentive they have to release more material, not just by Alice Cooper but by other artists as well. The less people that go their link and go to, say your's, the less money they make and the less incentive they have to release more material. This is such a long - standing issue, going right back to the advent of file - sharing and Napster, that it is staggering that you would not be aware of it. It is a debate that continues (and will probably never be adequately resolved) to this day (the recent controversy surrounding Atoms For Peace and Spotify for example).

> Hardly an egregious flaunting of rules.

Nobody is accusing you of some awful crime against humanity so calm down and stop being a martyr and as for "flaunting the rules", the moderators tought you did so, otherwise they wouldn't have removed the link. Again, if you don't like that, stop bleating here about it and discuss it with them and if you don't want to do that either (and you don't have to), then be quiet.

>To quote a rule about advertising sales of bootleg and pirated material is over the top.

Now you are being silly. It is obvious that all he did was quote the rule in full and not just the part that was applicable.

> I wasn't offering anything to anyone, just encouraging people to do a little fix-it project for themselves. It can be done with a little know how and patience.

Again, there is nothing wrong with that. You could have done that without providing a link (although with so many people these days going online via tablets or other hand - held devices, I'm not sure how much of an improvement they would notice, but that's a different issue).
Last edited by A_MichaelUK on Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:07 pm

Toronto Bob, I was not having a go at you, merely copying and pasting part of the rules and guidelines, don't take it personally.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:00 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>The only thing I did that could remotely be considered as "breaking the rules" is post a youtube link to "Serious" with the upgraded audio.

Exactly.

> Shout Factory themselves have posted numerous full length songs from the dvd on to youtube

This is incredible. You STILL don't understand. YOU ARE NOT SHOUT FACTORY - THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO DO THAT. YOU DO NOT.

> so posting one link is not giving anyone access to material that they didn't already have.

YOU STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND. The more people go to the Shout Factory link, the more money they will receive from advertising revenues based on their agreement with YouTube and the more money they make, the more incentive they have to release more material, not just by Alice Cooper but by other artists as well. The less people that go their link and go to, say your's, the less money they make and the less incentive they have to release more material. This is such a long - standing issue, going right back to the advent of file - sharing and Napster, that it is staggering that you would not be aware of it. It is a debate that continues (and will probably never be adequately resolved) to this day (the recent controversy surrounding Atoms For Peace and Spotify for example).
I understand just fine, I just don't operate under binary thinking like you do. If we all operated under your philosophy, 90% of the content of youtube would have to be removed permanently and the interest in youtube would drastically be reduced and collapse whatever business model youtube currently operates under.

Loomis
Killer
Killer

Post by Loomis » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:40 pm

But that is not your call to make. If the artists or the companies that represent them choose not to have unofficial videos removed from Youtube and other sites, that is their choice. People get away with committing murder from time to time also. Does that mean you should go and murder someone because some do get away with it?
Progressives are scariest thing on the planet.