Hey Stoopid Expanded

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Hey Stoopid Expanded

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:22 pm

>Not saying Alice should or could do it, just answering the question.....

That is definitely interesting but generally, these things are never finished or released for a very good reason, otherwise everyone would be doing this.

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:34 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>an album of songs that were rejected for not being good enough.

So you think people would buy it if it was advertised like that?! For this idea to become a reality, it would make more sense if they were bonus tracks on the albums they were intended for.
I meant it as they should be clear that it's just a bunch of demos and perhaps not fully realised songs. While I agree that having them as bonus tracks makes sense as well, it at least annoys me personally to get different versions of the same album just because of bonus tracks. But I of course has no say in that matter, I just think it would be nice to hear some rarer demos and if I have to buy them as bonus tracks then that's fine too.
A_MichaelUK wrote:>It seems the fans would be interested in it at least.

I don't think this board is much of an indication of that.
Well, I don't really know about the sales of Old School but it didn't seem to be a complete failure so why wouldn't people be interested in demos and outtakes from other points in Alices career?
A_MichaelUK wrote:>Plenty of other bands have done it after all (a good example is Devo who has released at least four albums worth of demos, both old and new) so it's hardly a strange idea.

Were they of songs that were never recorded and produced though?
I did say demos, which would mean that they would have been recorded in some form.
"Call it Evil" isn't by any means a finished song but it still got an official release.
A_MichaelUK wrote:>Heck if you don't want to give it a "proper" release, you could just make it a digital release or something like that instead.

It wouldn't be impossible but would still be difficult as all those recordings are owned by different record companies.
I'll freely admit I didn't think about that.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:01 pm

>Well, I don't really know about the sales of Old School but it didn't seem to be a complete failure so why wouldn't people be interested in demos and outtakes from other points in Alices career?

That is because the songs on "Old School" were considered good enough to record as final versions. The songs we're talking about weren't considered good enough at the time they were written.

>"Call it Evil" isn't by any means a finished song but it still got an official release.

I know but I doubt anyone is saying the "School's Out" album would have been better if that song had been included. I am as interested in unreleased material as anyone else but a lot of the songs we're discussing really are not that good, but I understand why anyone would want to hear them though.

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:23 pm

That's really the point I was trying to make, some fans are certainly interested in hearing unreleased material regardless of the "quality" of the song and as such it might be an interesting idea to give them some sort of official release.
You have obviously heard some of the demos and think they're not any good, but I haven't and is as such interested in hearing them to at least form my own opinion on them. (I did catch "If 4th street could talk" when it leaked on youtube and I liked it) And yes, I would be willing to pay some money for it and I do believe other fans would too.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:04 am

A few of those songs are circulating Swinger. It shouldn't be too hard to track them down if you know where to look. I tend to agree with Amuk that some really aren't worth hearing. Part of me wants to hear the superstar jam of Cocoanuts but from what I can gather it's unlistenable.

The biggest disappointment for me was hearing Look At You Over There Ripping The Saw Dust From My Teddy Bear. Great title and I expected a real rocker not the lack luster cheesy keyboard thing that it was.

Paul
Killer
Killer

Post by Paul » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:50 am

I really like Look At You Over There Ripping The Saw Dust From My Teddy Bear. I don't think it was put on Special Forces because it didn't really fit in with the other songs and not because it wasn't a good song or performance.

pinkerton
Killer
Killer

Post by pinkerton » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:56 pm

I also like Look at you over there. I like it for what it is, a demo. I often wonder what is in the vault that might have been forgotten. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that at the height of popularity or creativity ACG or solo Coop might have deemed something below standard but it could be something very passable and even special now.

Case in point, weezer forgot they had a song called tragic girl. it was never actually finished, but was 95% complete, and just left in the vault totally forgotten for over 10 years. No mention of it, no boots of it, no mention of it in the recording history. Very strange. Awesome song as well. Glad it finally saw light of day.
I'm swimming in blood.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:55 pm

> I often wonder what is in the vault that might have been forgotten.

As has been discussed here before, not as much as you might think.

>It's not beyond the realm of possibility that at the height of popularity or creativity ACG or solo Coop might have deemed something below standard but it could be something very passable and even special now.

Even if that is true, it almost certainly does not exist since at that time, the band rarely recorded everything they did. Something like "Call It Evil" would be the exception to that.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:48 am

To expand on what Andy said in his last statement... I did an interview with Dennis Dunaway for this site (hasn't seen the light of day yet due to circumstances beyond my control) and asked him about unreleased material. If I'm remembering his answer correctly, due to the fact that the band was on the road so much they didn't really have the time to accumulate a bunch of unreleased material. They wrote for the album, recorded the demos, made lyrical or musical changes and then went to record. Then back on the road. That was basically it. Obviously there was the odd one here and there, or almost completely different arrangements like we heard on "Old School," but that's probably about the extent that you're going to get. I'm going to guess that any "unused" songs were probably only heard by the ears of the band or Bob Ezrin when they were pitching songs.

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:34 pm

I'dlike to hear demos from Alice solo times, The extra song on constrictor,and who knows what else might exist