All you want is in the limo

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

All you want is in the limo

Post by darkmenace » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:09 pm

Anybody bought this book? I picked it up at amazon and finished it already. It's about Led Zeppelin, Alice, and the Who touring in 1973.

I enjoyed it very much, learned some new things, the author makes it sound very clear that Alice broke up the original band because of what came out in Bob Greene's book. After reading it Alice allegedly said: "I don't want to work with these guys any more." I suspected as much but never heard it stated so directly.

It was interesting to get details of the problems they had with Glenn and bringing in Mick Mashbir to play guitar. He is quoted extensively.

Enjoyed reading the parts about Led Zeppelin and the Who as I learned a lot about those bands.

It was great seeing Alice treated as an icon and a rock star in this book, a pivotal act in the history of rock and roll. It presents a side of Alice that is carefully hidden or glossed over by Alice these days, but we get the down and dirty side, a realistic portrait of what it was like to tour in 1973. I didn't realize the extent to which the band was already breaking up during the Billion Dollar Babies tour. It was sad to read knowing what was going to happen.

Fun book to read, recommended, especially if you don't mind reading about Led Zeppelin and the Who for two thirds of the book.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Re: All you want is in the limo

Post by Toronto Bob » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:06 pm

Cool, sounds like it would be a fun and interesting read. Does it mention how Alice was a bigger touring act than Led Zeppelin at the time?

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:29 pm

It pretty much puts them on an even par but focuses on Led Zep and Alice ushering in the future of rock (more than the Who who are trying to hang in there with Quadrophenia).

One thing Zep and Alice had in common (among others mentioned in the book) is Rolling Stone despised both of them lambasting Houses of the Holy and Billion Dollar Babies.

Lots of nice Alice nuggets, nothing radically new but more honest, behind-the-scenes, than a lot you'll hear anywhere else. Lots of interviews with Alice, band, Shep, Flo and Eddie, Mashbir, Libert, etc. Things I never heard before.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:14 pm

> but never heard it stated so directly.

You haven't - it is an allegation.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:06 pm

So if I understand correctly you are saying Alice was misquoted and that's not what really happened. I figured it was possible it was not accurate and that's why I said "allegedly." Can you elaborate on why you feel the author printed it in his book, or perhaps your theory on why he did?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:31 pm

>So if I understand correctly you are saying Alice was misquoted

No. You wrote that you had "never heard it stated so directly" but the only way you could have done that is if you had personally heard Alice say it. All you did was read what someone else said that he said. It is hearsay and as you pointed out, an allegation.

> I figured it was possible it was not accurate and that's why I said "allegedly."

Exactly.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:35 pm

I have no reason to doubt what the author wrote. It sounds like you don't think it happened.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:38 pm

>I have no reason to doubt what the author wrote.

You must be very credulous in that case. I hope you don't believe everything you read. Does he cite a source? Does he describe the circumstances of the statement?

>It sounds like you don't think it happened.

Not at all - I am doubting that Alice would have said it within earshot of a journalist who waits until 2013 to reveal it.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:48 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:It sounds like you don't think it happened.

Not at all - I am doubting that Alice would have said it within earshot of a journalist who waits until 2013 to reveal it.
Excellent point, why wait 40 years to reveal something many people have pondered over.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

guilty65
Killer
Killer

Post by guilty65 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:19 am

I have to agree. why would a journalist wait until now to make that statement. These books can be very cagey. Most of them add their opinion as fact or a smokescreen to the facts. and then things get blown out of proportion, If there is no source for this statement then all credibility is lost. IMHO :/

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:54 am

To clarify: the author doesn't claim to have overheard this comment years ago. He is apparently basing it on an interview with David Libert. This is the exact wording in the book:

David Libert cites Bob Greene's unsparing inside account of the Muscle of Love tour, published in 1974, as the decisive factor in the break up. "The book came out and that changed everything. Alice read the book and said, 'I don't want to work with these guys any more.'"

It's possible that the author made up this quote which he attributes to David Libert. It's also possible (and more likely) that the author interviewed Mr. Libert and that's what he said.

guilty65
Killer
Killer

Post by guilty65 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:32 am

The fact that Dave Libert's name has come up adds a lot more credibility..(At least for me) Knowing his role with the tour. IT is a very good possibility.
:alice:

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:00 am

darkmenace wrote:To clarify: the author doesn't claim to have overheard this comment years ago. He is apparently basing it on an interview with David Libert. This is the exact wording in the book:

David Libert cites Bob Greene's unsparing inside account of the Muscle of Love tour, published in 1974, as the decisive factor in the break up. "The book came out and that changed everything. Alice read the book and said, 'I don't want to work with these guys any more.'"

It's possible that the author made up this quote which he attributes to David Libert. It's also possible (and more likely) that the author interviewed Mr. Libert and that's what he said.
Which still doesn't mean that it's an actual quote from Alice. It may well have summed up Aice's feelings at the time, but it's still hearsay. People often attribute quotes to people to summarize a situation when the exact words weren't actually spoken. (Or maybe he did say those exact words. No one will ever know for sure unless an audio recording of Alice saying them is produced.)

Hunter

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:40 am

>To clarify: the author doesn't claim to have overheard this comment years ago. He is apparently basing it on an interview with David Libert.

That is why I asked you if a source was cited.
Last edited by A_MichaelUK on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:43 am

>It may well have summed up Aice's feelings at the time, but it's still hearsay.

Exactly. I don't doubt that's how he felt, but I doubt he would have said it in front of a journalist (thus making it 'on the record') and is it turns out, I was right.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:54 am

>IT is a very good possibility

I agree.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:26 pm

Here is yesterday's NPR "All Things Considered" story on this book:

http://www.npr.org/2013/07/30/207021967 ... ed-in-1973

Hunter

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:41 pm

Thanks for the link, interesting article.

The comments at the bottom show how much Alice's place in rock history is unknown to many people. For that reason alone I think it's great the book was released.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:12 pm

Re "comments at bottom" a quick bit of research into tour receipts for BDB tour by those questioning AC's place in this trio of heavyweights would yield them the reason for AC's inclusion- looks like an interesting book
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:22 am

Haven't read the book, but that is one butt-ugly cover!
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!