The internet ruins everything

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

The internet ruins everything

Post by While Heaven Wept » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:03 pm

I was just thinking back to how excited i'd get when spotting some AC content in a magazine or even better, an appearance on TV.

That amazing feeling I'd get when catching the bus to Bristol to peruse the local record shops and stalls, not knowing what Alice goodies i'd find.

That sense of anticipation when buying a new cd or vinyl and spending the entire bus journey home scanning the lyrics and credits, having no idea what the music would sound like.

That rush of adrenaline i'd feel when in the back of a rock magazine there would be an advert for a gig in the UK.

That worried feeling of asking my Dad if he would drive me to the gig if I promised to mow the grass for the next month.

That frustrated feeling that I didn't buy that Alice vhs from the shop when I had the chance and now it's gone and it's no longer available. That sad feeling of thinking I would never get to see what was on that video.

The internet has completely destroyed all of that.

:/

ReGorLaTroy
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: The internet ruins everything

Post by ReGorLaTroy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:48 pm

Yeah,

Or when you picked up Circus or Creem magazine and scanned it cover to cover looking for Alice Cooper content.

You are right, a new album would come out and you couldn't pull that shrink wrap off quick enough to read every word of the liner notes and check all the new pictures.

There was a certain magic to it all, wasn't there?
"I'm a gambler, and I'm a runner..."

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:57 am

Yes, I agree 100% on that. The recordstores are closing down fast but lucky enough the "better" vinylshop is coming back. I used to travel to all the shops in half Europe even on my holiday what disturbed my wife :nono: :nono:
To get those finds in a shop what a feeling that was.
Indeed did internet destroyed that but on the other hand I discovered a whole new world. New fans (penpals) in the early days, much greater and better collections than mine, a lot more treasures on video etc etc.
A trade took weeks and now it takes two emails.
A lot of progress but indeed that feeling of finding an item in the bins of the recordstore will NEVER come back.
But a lot of our fellowcollectors don't know what I'm talking about, haha.
I'm feeling like a granddad. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:57 am

My old fingers hit the button twice, haha

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:02 am

Good posts! The internet has enhanced the ability to find Alice content, but as others have stated also taken some excitement out of it. The only thing that really bothers me is the internet has made it too easy for some to steal music or an album is leaking out too quickly and it destroys the experience. I remember growing up and looking forward to Tuesdays when new albums were released. If the album was popular enough, fans would literally camp out the night before to be one of the first to buy a new record. These days most bands are lucky if they can even sell 50,000 copies of a new album.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:05 am

maybe we should start by editing our age over here ;)
I recognize all of the above mentioned excitement from the old times !
even managed at the time to have Goes To Hell in my possession 14 days before I had acces to a recordplayer, wondering what the music would sound like that accompanied the lyrics I started to know so well already..
but of course finally it was possible to find almost all the lyrics from records without a text sheet , and get in touch with fellow Alice fans.
So I am glad to have been able to see both sites of the picture !
you really wouldn't understand..

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:55 pm

I'm turning 55 in november this year. :rock: :rock:
Tapes/cassettes/betamax/Philips p2000/VHS/VHS-i/minidisc/eighttrack/cd with lots of variations etc.etc.
What did I miss?

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:01 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:The internet has completely destroyed all of that.

:/

The generation landslide closed the gap between us...

old school vet
Killer
Killer

Post by old school vet » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:09 pm

Great post for us older boys and girls. 54 this year, and yes the excitement of a new find was always a feeling to treasure. Spent man happy hours thumbing through the racks In record stores and record fairs just to get a little victory. Where have the past 40 years gone?

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:16 pm

Internet-based Internet rant? Like it :)

I was thinking the other day about the day that The Last Temptation was released. A very special day listening to that album whilst working through Book I!
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:19 pm

ReGorLaTroy wrote:Yeah,

Or when you picked up Circus or Creem magazine and scanned it cover to cover looking for Alice Cooper content.

There was a certain magic to it all, wasn't there?

I did this religiously and yes the magic was indeed there...

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:23 am

Yes there was...always neat, as pointed out to read an ad in CIRCUS/CREEM about a new album coming out, buying a magazine even if there was just a little bit about a band you loved, waiting in line to get tickets, the eagerness to get your allowance/paycheck to spend on new swag (New posters! One copy of the book left! A concert VHS!) the hours you spent in record stores/shows looking for elusive treasures and the elation you felt when you did find something, etc etc. I'm 51 and remember all that.
But on the other hand, neat to find out news as it is breaking, hearing about a show/set list from another city or country, the ability to get something you would have difficulty procuring otherwise (although as WHW pointed out,more exciting picking up something and the long ride back wondering how it would sound and listening to the whole thing while perusing lyrics/info) and the ease to correspond with like minded people. Used to do pen pals "In the day", but the internet does make it easier and I very much enjoy the back and forth with all of you. :)
So, the internet does make things easier, but sadly, a lot of the magic/excitement has faded, or it could just be 'cause I'm a geezer now. :(
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:39 pm

cooperrocks wrote:The internet has enhanced the ability to find Alice content, but as others have stated also taken some excitement out of it.
Well said.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:13 pm

It’s a double edged argument…

For the folks who missed the original band and tours the internet allows you a peek into the past.

For the ones who were there its less exciting than any initial discovery shared ( and that’s the key here ) with friends…

guilty65
Killer
Killer

Post by guilty65 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:39 am

I totally agree !!! I miss the mystique of it all. it all seems too readily available for my liking. But as they say..." The Genie is out of the bottle" ::((:

This sounds a lot like my dad and his uncles telling me about the times that they would gather around the console radio and listen to the programs that would be broadcast late at night. I guess technology makes that happen every 30 or so years. :/