RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Super Duper Alice Cooper

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:06 pm

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=190858

ALICE COOPER: 'Super Duper'

Documentary Screened For Toronto Film Festival Programmers - June 5, 2013

"Super Duper Alice Cooper", the upcoming documentary about the shock rocker's evolution from preacher's son to superstardom, is currently being screened for programmers at the Toronto International Film Festival. The 97-minute retrospective on Alice Cooper is the latest release from Canadian documentarians Sam Dunn and Scot McFadyen of production company Banger Films ("Metal: A Headbangers Journey", "Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage") and writer/director Reginald Harkema.

Official "Super Duper Alice Cooper" description: "Preacher's son Vincent Furnier struck fear into the hearts of parents as Alice Cooper, the ultimate rock star of the bizarre. From his advent as frontman for a group from Phoenix in the Sixties, to the notorious celebrity and decadence in the Seventies, to the comeback as glam metal godfather in the Eighties, we watch as Alice and Vincent battle for each other’s souls. This is a young Frankenstein who created a monster, lost control of it, and conquered it before it killed him. Alice Cooper is portrayed as a reflection of his fans' unease about the era and an escape from their generational malaise. His struggle revolved around living up to these expectations and being true to himself."

In a 2012 interview with Spinner.com, Dunn stated about the Cooper documentary, "We know Alice through various projects that we've done," he said. "We interviewed Alice for 'Headbanger's Journey'. He's also featured pretty prominently in two episodes of [the new groundbreaking documentary series] 'Metal Evolution', both in [the] Shock Rock and Early Metal U.S. [episodes]. He's a pretty fascinating character, who has been through a lot in his life. He's one of those musicians that maybe he hasn't had a hit in a long time, but everyone knows who Alice Cooper is because of his influence on pop culture and the big songs he had in the '70s. . . We're in the early stages of telling the story of his career. We're probably going to focus in on his early years up to his comeback in the '80s. We're exploring a different stylist approach with this film. It won't be talking heads; it's going to be more of an archival and animated journey through his career. He's such a rich visual artist, it makes so much sense to try and do it in a different way. I think we're just a little bit sick of doing talking head interviews, to be honest [laughs], after doing 300 of them for 'Metal Evolution'. So it's really the story of Alice's career from the '60s right up to the '80s and everything he went through — the ups and the downs, battles with alcoholism, being raised in a Christian family, rebelling against that but then coming back to faith later in his career, and movinALICE COOPER: 'Super Duper' Documentary Screened For Toronto Film Festival Programmers - June 5, 2013
"Super Duper Alice Cooper", the upcoming documentary about the shock rocker's evolution from preacher's son to superstardom, is currently being screened for programmers at the Toronto International Film Festival. The 97-minute retrospective on Alice Cooper is the latest release from Canadian documentarians Sam Dunn and Scot McFadyen of production company Banger Films ("Metal: A Headbangers Journey", "Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage") and writer/director Reginald Harkema.

Official "Super Duper Alice Cooper" description: "Preacher's son Vincent Furnier struck fear into the hearts of parents as Alice Cooper, the ultimate rock star of the bizarre. From his advent as frontman for a group from Phoenix in the Sixties, to the notorious celebrity and decadence in the Seventies, to the comeback as glam metal godfather in the Eighties, we watch as Alice and Vincent battle for each other’s souls. This is a young Frankenstein who created a monster, lost control of it, and conquered it before it killed him. Alice Cooper is portrayed as a reflection of his fans' unease about the era and an escape from their generational malaise. His struggle revolved around living up to these expectations and being true to himself."

In a 2012 interview with Spinner.com, Dunn stated about the Cooper documentary, "We know Alice through various projects that we've done," he said. "We interviewed Alice for 'Headbanger's Journey'. He's also featured pretty prominently in two episodes of [the new groundbreaking documentary series] 'Metal Evolution', both in [the] Shock Rock and Early Metal U.S. [episodes]. He's a pretty fascinating character, who has been through a lot in his life. He's one of those musicians that maybe he hasn't had a hit in a long time, but everyone knows who Alice Cooper is because of his influence on pop culture and the big songs he had in the '70s. . . We're in the early stages of telling the story of his career. We're probably going to focus in on his early years up to his comeback in the '80s. We're exploring a different stylist approach with this film. It won't be talking heads; it's going to be more of an archival and animated journey through his career. He's such a rich visual artist, it makes so much sense to try and do it in a different way. I think we're just a little bit sick of doing talking head interviews, to be honest [laughs], after doing 300 of them for 'Metal Evolution'. So it's really the story of Alice's career from the '60s right up to the '80s and everything he went through — the ups and the downs, battles with alcoholism, being raised in a Christian family, rebelling against that but then coming back to faith later in his career, and moving from town to town, and trying to find his place."

Alice Cooper's latest album, "Welcome 2 My Nightmare", sold 18,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 22 on The Billboard 200 chart. Cooper's previous CD, 2008's "Along Came A Spider", opened with just under 10,000 copies to land at No. 53.

Recorded with longtime collaborator Bob Ezrin, who produced the original multi-platinum "Welcome To My Nightmare" album in 1975, "Welcome 2 My Nightmare" picks up right where they left off, with Alice trapped in his own warped mind.

That original album is an all-time rock classic that spawned a worldwide theatrical tour and pioneering U.S. TV special and cemented Alice Cooper as a visionary trailblazer whose influence persists today in rock, metal, pop, punk, theater, television, film and much more.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Super Duper Alice Cooper

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:19 pm

Please someone change the name haha!!
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:23 pm

I can't wait...it would be awesome if this actually went to limited release theaters.
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Inmate » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:26 pm

HORRORHOLIC wrote:Please someone change the name haha!!
That's what I was thinking. :laugh: I'm excited for this!
"I'm just another case…”

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:32 pm

I posted this from my phone originally and somehow duped the article. I can't edit now, so one of the admins should feel free to go in and fix.

The second one is complete.
Last edited by RemarkablyInsincere on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Seriously » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:48 pm

Sounds really great and will look forward to it. I quite like "Super Duper Alice Cooper", it's pretty catchy whichever way you say it. Leave it alone. :blues:

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:18 pm

AlongCameASpider27 wrote:I can't wait...it would be awesome if this actually went to limited release theaters.
I was thinking the same thing!

ReGorLaTroy
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by ReGorLaTroy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:53 pm

Title aside, this should be great. I just watched the Rush documentary last night and they did such a good job.

The segments with Alice that they did for Metal Evolution on VH1 was pretty good.

Sam Dunn and Scit McFadyen are big music fans and their appreciation really comes across well in their work.

Really looking forward to this one.
"I'm a gambler, and I'm a runner..."

ReGorLaTroy
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by ReGorLaTroy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:55 pm

PS, RemarkablyInsincere...thank you for posting this article, a great lunchtime read.
"I'm a gambler, and I'm a runner..."

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:12 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing this

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:33 am

This should be GREAT....Really liked the RUSH doc and METAL: A HEADBANGERS JOURNEY (lots of Alice in the latter) and this really sounds good. Hopefully, they can somehow bring it all up to date, but will be happy with whatever comes out. :rock: :rock:
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:43 pm

If their past work is any indication, this will be fantastic. Dunn/McFadyen's Metal Evolution series is THE metal docu and Fight 666 and Beyond the Lighted Stage are fantastic. These guys actually know music and give it the proper respect without being fawning. Looking forward to this.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:59 am

Toronto Bob wrote:If their past work is any indication, this will be fantastic. Dunn/McFadyen's Metal Evolution series is THE metal docu and Fight 666 and Beyond the Lighted Stage are fantastic. These guys actually know music and give it the proper respect without being fawning. Looking forward to this.
I agree. I've really enjoyed everything these guys have done that I've seen. I've been very much looking forward to this since the project was announced.