Desperado Live.....

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Desperado Live.....

Post by evil syd » Sat May 18, 2013 2:11 am

I checked out the setlists. It's crazy! The original AC group never played "Desperado" live. Am I wrong? :(
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Desperado Live.....

Post by Si » Sat May 18, 2013 7:52 am

You're not wrong as far as I know. First time it was played live was 1996?

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Sat May 18, 2013 8:09 am

I believe it was on the Trash tour I saw it and that was in 1989, as is the Trash dvd...
you really wouldn't understand..

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Sat May 18, 2013 8:52 am

Si wrote:You're not wrong as far as I know. First time it was played live was 1996?
Sadly, and perhaps, that was a hard one for Alice to sing because of his intoxication. It's simply classic Coop.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Sat May 18, 2013 8:54 am

I believe it was also first played on the TRASH tour and I saw him perform it in 1996...awesome it was too.
Have checked the set lists and don't recall seeing it either. Oddly enough, in the Alice Cooper chapter of PEOPLE ARE CRAZY HERE, Rex Reed quotes lyrics from "Desperado" (I'm a killer/ I wear lace and black leather/My hands are lightning on my gun") as well as claiming "Yeah Yeah Yeah" opened the show(' "You can be my slave and I'll be your master" he shrieks, setting the scene for the first fantasy of the evening"') at the Passaic NJ KILLER show. Maybe old Rex was drinking too that night! While he seems repulsed by the show, his chapter put Alice and the rest of the guys, to a much lesser extent, in a favorable light, describing Alice as "personable".
"I need everything the world owes me..."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat May 18, 2013 9:04 am

>Sadly, and perhaps, that was a hard one for Alice to sing because of his intoxication.

No.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat May 18, 2013 9:05 am

patrick wrote:I believe it was on the Trash tour I saw it and that was in 1989, as is the Trash dvd...
You're right, My mistake

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Sat May 18, 2013 9:36 am

Longest ever gap between release as an album track and being played live?
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat May 18, 2013 9:50 am

hmmm good question. Off the top of my head wouldn`t 'Teenage Lament '74' top it?
That wasn't played by the original band, but turned up at the Cabo '96 show (and greatest hits live radio show later). That would be 23 years (1973-1996).
'Desperado' would be 1970-1989 making it 19 years.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Sat May 18, 2013 1:43 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Sadly, and perhaps, that was a hard one for Alice to sing because of his intoxication.

No.
and so, why then? :bam:

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Sat May 18, 2013 2:54 pm

One of my favorite tracks from Alice. I had the pleasure of seeing him perform it in 2008. I would love to see this back in the setlist.
All Of My Life Was A Laugh And A Joke
And A Drink And A Smoke
And Then I Passed Out On The Floor

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Sat May 18, 2013 5:11 pm

Great song.
[

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat May 18, 2013 6:00 pm

>and so, why then?

I could equally ask you "why" the song "was a hard one to sing" compared to any of the other songs.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Sat May 18, 2013 7:07 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>and so, why then?

I could equally ask you "why" the song "was a hard one to sing" compared to any of the other songs.
Well, in my opinion, in order to make the song work, he must sing it almost like he's talking it through, but at the same time, keeping the harmony. He has to be in tune. A very hard song to sing even sober LOL! It's not your ordinary song,
During his early "hey" days, he was a different vocalist. Coop even admits to that, and it's quite evident. To be honest, I think he's a better vocalist when playing live now, then back when. In fact, during Coop's narration during the "WTMN LIVE" DVD, he discusses that he thought he would of sang for that tour a lot better, now that he is sober.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat May 18, 2013 7:24 pm

>Well, in my opinion, in order to make the song work, he must sing it almost like he's talking it through, but at the same time, keeping the harmony. He has to be in tune. A very hard song to sing even sober LOL!

That makes no sense. You are saying it's harder to talk when drunk than it is to sing. You can think that it is if you want, but you have no real basis for that. Why would that song be any harder to sing than "Alma Mater", "The Ballad Of Dwight Fry" or "Unfinished Sweet"? There are two songs there that were never performed back and one that was.

>In fact, during Coop's narration during the "WTMN LIVE" DVD, he discusses that he thought he would of sang for that tour a lot better, now that he is sober.

All of that is true, but none of it suggests he wouldn't have been able to perform "Desperado" to some kind of acceptable standard.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Sun May 19, 2013 5:16 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Well, in my opinion, in order to make the song work, he must sing it almost like he's talking it through, but at the same time, keeping the harmony. He has to be in tune. A very hard song to sing even sober LOL!

That makes no sense. You are saying it's harder to talk when drunk than it is to sing. You can think that it is if you want, but you have no real basis for that. Why would that song be any harder to sing than "Alma Mater", "The Ballad Of Dwight Fry" or "Unfinished Sweet"? There are two songs there that were never performed back and one that was.

>In fact, during Coop's narration during the "WTMN LIVE" DVD, he discusses that he thought he would of sang for that tour a lot better, now that he is sober.

All of that is true, but none of it suggests he wouldn't have been able to perform "Desperado" to some kind of acceptable standard.
?
He rarely sang, if any, ballads, live with the original band....
In fact, he sang "Ballad of DF" a little later on too.
Did I touch on some personal drama or something? :blush:

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Sun May 19, 2013 7:18 am

Personally I would rather see Desperado live over Be My Lover .. that song needs a rest from current sets . Same goes for Is It my Body.

Desperado, You Drive Me Nervous, Dead Babies all need set recalls :8):

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun May 19, 2013 8:27 am

>?
>He rarely sang, if any, ballads, live with the original band....

SO WHAT?! Who said "Desperado" is a ballad?!

>In fact, he sang "Ballad of DF" a little later on too.

I know, but my point is he also performed it when he was quite intoxicated too. My question was why that song would be any easier to perform than "Desperado" was and you haven't answered that.

>Did I touch on some personal drama or something?

No, I'm 'touching' on the nonsense in your post. You are free to speculate why that song was not performed and I'm free to tell you that your speculation is nonsense.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Sun May 19, 2013 10:45 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>?
>He rarely sang, if any, ballads, live with the original band....

SO WHAT?! Who said "Desperado" is a ballad?!

>In fact, he sang "Ballad of DF" a little later on too.

I know, but my point is he also performed it when he was quite intoxicated too. My question was why that song would be any easier to perform than "Desperado" was and you haven't answered that.

>Did I touch on some personal drama or something?

No, I'm 'touching' on the nonsense in your post. You are free to speculate why that song was not performed and I'm free to tell you that your speculation is nonsense.
ZzZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Sun May 19, 2013 11:18 am

Si wrote:hmmm good question. Off the top of my head wouldn`t 'Teenage Lament '74' top it?
That wasn't played by the original band, but turned up at the Cabo '96 show (and greatest hits live radio show later). That would be 23 years (1973-1996).
'Desperado' would be 1970-1989 making it 19 years.
What about "The Awakening"? If I'm not mistaken the first time it was preformed was in 2005, which would be 30 years.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."