Special Forces

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Special Forces

Post by scotty » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:13 pm

boy that would have been interesting with baker or ezrin at the helm! I recall the album got pushed back at least twice,and this was back when there were no internet spoilers to hear what the new single sounded like! I went nuts when the guy at the record store told me it was pushed back! aaarrggh

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:19 pm

Overall, a decent album, but needs lots of listening and evaluation to come to a conclusion. Some really good tracks, especially side One (for those of you who remember when vinyl was the main thing out there). Side two does require some patience, however... :/
"I need everything the world owes me..."

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:22 pm

I love the whole album, beginning to end. I have since the first time I listened to it.

Hunter

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:13 pm

sssnakester wrote:It's a cool listen.

And "Hello" everyone.
Hello! In your avatar, is it something you draw yourself? That's cute.
[

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:26 pm

I like ''Skeletons in the Closet'' and ''You look good in Rags'', that's about it on this album.
[

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Inmate » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:10 pm

SickThings wrote:I love the whole album, beginning to end. I have since the first time I listened to it.

Hunter
I gotta agree with this. :8):
"I'm just another case…”

sssnakester
Trash
Trash

Post by sssnakester » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:27 am

Diane D. wrote:

And "Hello" everyone.
No... Just something I found online and had my son (he is 'Inmate' on this forum) color in for me.
Your Mama Thinks I'm Filthy, Your Daddy Calls Me Scum...

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:48 am

sssnakester wrote:
Diane D. wrote:

And "Hello" everyone.
No... Just something I found online and had my son (he is 'Inmate' on this forum) color in for me.
Ah... OK,sssneakester.
[

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:12 pm

welcome sssssneakester! it's a family forum now,I love it! (to death)

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:49 pm

There isn't a track on it I don't like, although the deflated version of Generation Landslide was uneccessary in my opinion, and the two prior to that seem like they were 'leftover' from FTF sessions. Also, You're a Movie can be a little 'trying' if you are not in the mood I suppose :-/

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:20 pm

I remember wondering for years why they listed a song that wasn't on there! "generation" re-make made me wonder if he ran out of material!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:32 pm

>I remember wondering for years why they listed a song that wasn't on there!

Go to http://www.alicecooperpics.co.uk/Sickth ... s/a-sf.php for the answer.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:16 am

I remember taking my copy back to the record shop telling them that 'Look At You Over There, Ripping The Sawdust From My Teddybear' though printed on the packaging wasn't on the record. They said they would look into it and when I went back they gave me a version without the track printed on it, wish I'd kept the first one!
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Steven Lee Cooper
Killer
Killer

Post by Steven Lee Cooper » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:25 pm

I don't like "You want it, you got" (really silly music I think). "Skeletons in the closet" is also silly but a bit better musically; apart from that I quite like all of the other tracks. It's my second favorite Alice album from the eighties - the first being DaDa. Great lyrics sometimes ("Don't talk old to me" has lyrics with a rebellious flavour that I love, totally different in spirit from the so-called "morality" songs he frequently writes since TLT, and "Vicious Rumours" has great and clever lyrics too ! The production is not the best, but on the other hand I like the dirty sound of it, as well as the energy and the shaky, strange arrangements. Same for his voice : not in its best condition, but he countered the problem by adopting a sinister delivering. Smart, our Alice. :rotfl:

Probably his most dirty album since SO, and the closest he came to a real rock'n'roll spirit since the ACG.

Not in my Top five of Alice albums, but in my Top ten ? Mmmmm..... perhaps. ;) I don't know for certain.
Steven Lee Cooper peeks in the forums when he feels really brave....

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Inmate » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:33 pm

Steven Lee Cooper wrote:I don't like "You want it, you got" (really silly music I think). "Skeletons in the closet" is also silly but a bit better musically; apart from that I quite like all of the other tracks. It's my second favorite Alice album from the eighties - the first being DaDa. Great lyrics sometimes ("Don't talk old to me" has lyrics with a rebellious flavour that I love, totally different in spirit from the so-called "morality" songs he frequently writes since TLT, and "Vicious Rumours" has great and clever lyrics too ! The production is not the best, but on the other hand I like the dirty sound of it, as well as the energy and the shaky, strange arrangements. Same for his voice : not in its best condition, but he countered the problem by adopting a sinister delivering. Smart, our Alice. :rotfl:

Probably his most dirty album since SO, and the closest he came to a real rock'n'roll spirit since the ACG.

Not in my Top five of Alice albums, but in my Top ten ? Mmmmm..... perhaps. ;) I don't know for certain.
Great review! :8):
"I'm just another case…”

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Wed May 15, 2013 10:51 pm

I love this album and it arrived at a time in my life that means it will always hold a special place. Witty, energetic and rocking, it's got a lot going for it. And as for the accompanying tour, the live version of Under My Wheels was magnificent.

criss
Killer
Killer

Post by criss » Thu May 16, 2013 2:48 pm

A twisted military man , snide lyrics all delivered with an authority of power and force .

For me the early eighties where some of the last real artistic masters from alice . I know the coop was in a bad way but this in a way rises music from the soul that would otherwise never see the light of day . Once the coop cleaned up he has forever been gluing things together .

Cooking up a stew from others scraps,blowing on a miserable fire,
made from a heap of dying ash. ( 6.1.U,S.T )
Australias No 1 Alice cooper fan

rtbuck
Killer
Killer

Post by rtbuck » Fri May 17, 2013 12:42 am

I had never seen Alice live even though I was a big fan but seen him in August of 1981 in the round near Buffalo,NY. I had 5th row and it was not what I expected at all. I liked his Flush the Fashion album but when he appeared onstage with that Special Forces look I had no idea what was going on. First off he opened with a tune I never heard of so that with the strange new look I began wondering if it really was Alice! The show was unreal & I ended up loving it. Who Do You think we are was the only new son in the set & it was phenomenal when he came out for the School's Out encore with his hair down.

A month or so later the album came out with no promotion in my area at all. There was only one copy in the record store so I grabbed it. I knew the first track from the album from the concert & loved it. I hated the next few songs but was psyched for the live version of Generation Landslide because when they played it live the band really jammed on it...not so on the album. The only other song I liked on the album was Vicious Rumors which I thought was great. I don't know what the hell happened but for some reason I couldn't stop listening to the album even though I was criticizing how bad it was. I really grew to like the album a lot & still do especially 7&7is

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri May 17, 2013 8:51 am

>psyched for the live version of Generation Landslide because when they played it live the band really jammed on it...not so on the album.

On "Special Forces", it actually was a studio recording.

ReGorLaTroy
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by ReGorLaTroy » Mon May 20, 2013 7:55 pm

scotty wrote:catchy stuff on that album. this was the first tour I saw alice on,so it has a special place in my heart always! "who do you think we are" and "seven and seven is" rock hard!
Same here, Wendler Arena in Saginaw., Michigan. I remember it like it was yesterday. Like you, that album will always hold a special place in my heart as well.
"I'm a gambler, and I'm a runner..."