Special Forces

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Special Forces

Post by Inmate » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:37 pm

I'm sitting here listening to this album. It's definitely different, but I gotta say that I really like it. I don't dislike any Alice album, though. So I was just wondering what your guys opinions are on this album. I love hearing what people have to say about Alice albums! :)
"I'm just another case…”

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Special Forces

Post by scotty » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:54 pm

catchy stuff on that album. this was the first tour I saw alice on,so it has a special place in my heart always! "who do you think we are" and "seven and seven is" rock hard!

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Inmate » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:02 am

scotty wrote:catchy stuff on that album. this was the first tour I saw alice on,so it has a special place in my heart always! "who do you think we are" and "seven and seven is" rock hard!
I agree! Wow I bet it was cool seeing him on that tour.
"I'm just another case…”

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:58 am

I love those new wave/punk Alice years. Zipper catches the skin is another gem.
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Inmate » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:11 am

evil syd wrote:I love those new wave/punk Alice years. Zipper catches the skin is another gem.
Zipper and Flush are my favorites from the new wave era. :)
"I'm just another case…”

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:23 am

Inmate wrote:
evil syd wrote:I love those new wave/punk Alice years. Zipper catches the skin is another gem.
I loved seeing Alice performing "Clones" during the "NMMNG" Tour. :clap:

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Inmate » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:30 am

evil syd wrote:
Inmate wrote:
I loved seeing Alice performing "Clones" during the "NMMNG" Tour. :clap:
One tour I never got to see. :( I bet it rocked!
"I'm just another case…”

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:04 am

Well, to be perfectly honest, my friend, this was the first time I have ever seen the Coop, and yes, he did rock!

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Inmate » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:34 am

evil syd wrote:Well, to be perfectly honest, my friend, this was the first time I have ever seen the Coop, and yes, he did rock!
That's good to hear. :grin:
"I'm just another case…”

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:43 am

[quote="Inmate"][quote="scotty"]catchy stuff on that album. this was the first tour I saw alice on,so it has a special place in my heart always! "who do you think we are" and "seven and seven is" rock hard![/quote]

I agree! Wow I bet it was cool seeing him on that tour.[/quote]

I was all of 12 years old,and my sister and her husband took me-my sis pretended that the concert had sold out and when I acted dejected,she told me we were actually sitting in the front row!!!! this was at a venue that had a revolving stage,so we got to see all kinds of cool stuff-the beer alice had stashed on stage,set lists,the drummer (think it was a guy named ross salomone) up close...I got a guitar pick from mike pinera (which I regretably have lost). also,alice sweated on us,lol. was so close we could see nose hairs! yeah,it was that cool!

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:56 am

Scotty, was it "Painters Mill" in MD? The place was in the round and was MY 1st Cooper show also. Didn't have front row but was still excited to see him at last! The venue accidently burned down about a year later and was never replaced. What a shame.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:48 pm

>the drummer (think it was a guy named ross salomone)

He was on the "Flush The Fashion tour". It would have been Jan Uvena that you saw.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:19 pm

yes andy. it was indeed jan uvena. the program they were still selling at that show had ross listed,but it was a "flush" program. the same cover you see I use for my profile!

daggers and contracts-it was (ironically enough) the front row theater in highland heights,ohio july 1981 (about 20 min west of cleveland I think). They built a hardware store where this place used to sit. before it got torn down I saw chicago there as well. It was noteworthy in that it also hosted roy orbison's last concert before he died in the '90's.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:30 pm

Scotty, I'm amazed that Alice found more than one theater in the round to perform in. Painters Mill was the only one in MD (that I knew of) many bands bring their own turntable to perform in the round as part of their set. The Beatles 1st show in DC was in the round but Ringos kit was on a turntable and they just physically spun him! :unclesam:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:21 am

oh,I recall that! I'm a beatles fanatic as well! could you imagine any band having to do something that physical on stage by themselves in 2013?
anywho,I found the stage pretty cool,but alice said in an interview the week before with cleveland media that the revolving stage limited what he could do prop wise and it made his entrance different than what he was doing that tour. from the clips I've seen,it was normal for alice to bust out of a locker on stage..the show I saw,he walked through the audience to get to the stage. again,could you imagine such an entrance by a performer in 2013?

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:24 am

To be honest Special Forces is the worst Alice Cooper album for me. I like three songs on it Seven and seven is, Who do you think we are and to a lesser degree Skeletons in the closet. But none of these songs are worth of a 10 or even 9. There simply isn't much that grabs me. You're a movie is simply terrible musically(lyrics are pretty good though) and If you want it, you got it is very annoying.

I think Zipper has much better guitar solos and more consistent vocal performances and DaDa is much more creative. I'm not saying Alice's vocals are bad on Special Forces, far from it. It just lacks that spark or magic or whatever you wanna call it from playing and composing standpoint.

Alice Cooper is such amazing artist. Many bands would be proud to call an album of this caliber their weakest effort. 2/5 stars from me.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:07 pm

I need to include "vicious rumors" in my like category on this album!

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Inmate » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:52 pm

scotty wrote:I need to include "vicious rumors" in my like category on this album!
Probably my favorite next to WDYTWA! :alice:
"I'm just another case…”

sssnakester
Trash
Trash

Post by sssnakester » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:00 am

It's a cool listen.

And "Hello" everyone.
Your Mama Thinks I'm Filthy, Your Daddy Calls Me Scum...

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:54 am

When I first heard it (the day it was released!!) I was a little disappointed (particularly the production) after the brilliance of Flush The Fashion, but since the 'new wave Alice' was/is probably my favourite era (and yes, this was my first Alice live experience too), I like it of course.

The only downsides are, like I say, the dreadful production (imo) and the fact that there do appear to be 'fillers' in the form of the last three tracks side one (were tracks 3 and 4 tracks that didn't make it on to Flush?????)

All in all, good. It was Alice being original and creative again (even if he didn't know what day it was!) - I think Roy Thomas Baker or Bob Ezrin should have produced it though!