Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

GNDM

Re: Alice Cooper Plans Covers Album as Next Release

Post by GNDM » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:53 pm

Si....yeah, I saw the video of you on stage with Blue Coupe. :clap:

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:00 pm

> one might wonder if there is an even stronger desire for a reunion "event" outside these four walls?

You already know the answer to that, though. Look at Paul Brenton's challenge on Facebook - it wasn't exactly a resounding success.

---Response: Andy, you know that there is a desire by many (albeit an overall minority) to see the four remaining members do events together. How strong a desire? I guess not overwhelming enough to force things to occur. We also know who and what the catalyst is/are that will decide on ANY reunion activity.[/color]

>After all, if it is mentioned in "every single post" wouldn't it seem like there is at least a good under-current of fans desiring some reunion?

No because it tends to be the same people bringing it up (and I don't just mean here, either).

---Response: Again, I really feel that there are a lot of less vocal fans that would respond favorably to a reunion mini-tour and, even more so, an album. Again – is it enough to make things happen? Appears not to be.

>Similar to what Hunter said, I have no facts to support why there has never been more than one and off reunion events.

Neither do ninety - nine percent of the people who comment publicly on the matter but it doesn't stop them commenting unfortunately.

---Response: I lump the “why no reunion” group into the same category as “why did the band break up”. People will always speculate on reasons for both….mainly because there is no ONE answer for either event.

>However, I have not based my future around the idea that there will, or won't, be a larger reunion in the near future.

Maybe not, in which case, I'm glad to hear it, but admittedly, you are, arguably, the one who brings it up here the most, I think. That isn't a criticism, but I think it's an accurate observation.

---Response: I’ll agree...lacking any conclusive evidence, one way or another. :)

> However....there does seem to be an under-current amongst a group of AC fans that would like to see "something" occur.

It depends on what you mean by "something", though. As I've said before, I don't doubt there will be further reunions at some point (and I never expected there to be as many as there have been since 1998) but for some people, that's never going to be enough until someone invents a time - machine and transports us all back to 1973 and I think those are maybe the people Sickthings was referring to. I know that you know the kind of people I'm referring to. Also, just because there is "under-current" doesn't mean it a majority opinion.

---Response: Correct, definitely a minority. But (as you get older, Andy) past events start to mean more. I find it pleasing that many actually do wish to see history come alive again. Would it? That is another issue. As I have said before...I am too much of a realist to EXPECT a big “something”, will occur. But I think there is a good chunk of people that would wish it so…realistic or not.

BTW --it would be interesting to be able to calculate an overall opinion on the type of album Alice should deliver in 2014. How many would prefer an ACG based album over a cover songs album….if that were their only two choices.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:10 pm

GNDM wrote: BTW --it would be interesting to be able to calculate an overall opinion on the type of album Alice should deliver in 2014. How many would prefer an ACG based album over a cover songs album….if that were their only two choices.
I think the results of that would be pretty predictable.
A more telling poll would maybe be between an all new solo album and an ACG album.

ReGorLaTroy
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by ReGorLaTroy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:16 pm

Si wrote:For the record I am a HUGE fan of the original band, and IMHO the albums they put out are in a league fo their own. Alice has come close to their quality on occasion, maybe even equaled it in WTMN, but never surpassed it.

However the "realist" in me doesn't see a full tour ever happening. If it does I will be there, but I just can't see it. There could well be a few more one offs or even a short set of shows as discussed some time back but even with that I think the moment has probably passed. I'm just greatful Alice still tours and has an amazing bunch of musicians playing with him. That will not last forever and the clock is ticking now I would think.
Great post...I couldn't have said it better.
"I'm a gambler, and I'm a runner..."

old school vet
Killer
Killer

Post by old school vet » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:44 pm

Si wrote- However the "realist" in me doesn't see a full tour ever happening. If it does I will be there, but I just can't see it. There could well be a few more one offs or even a short set of shows as discussed some time back but even with that I think the moment has probably passed. I'm just greatful Alice still tours and has an amazing bunch of musicians playing with him. That will not last forever and the clock is ticking now I would think.

Sad, but true, which is why we should be grateful for every new show with the "old boys" or the new band, all of whom are terrific people and great musicians. I for one, absolutely dread the thought of never being able to see Alice live again, and as for any new material that is to be released,he could cover Pinky and Perky, The spice girls or Al Jolson, just keep it coming...

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:48 pm

>---Response: Andy, you know that there is a desire by many (albeit an overall minority) to see the four remaining members do events together.

I haven't denied that.

> How strong a desire? I guess not overwhelming enough to force things to occur.

Exactly.

>We also know who and what the catalyst is/are that will decide on ANY reunion activity.

Well, it depends on "who and what" you're referring to. If the circumstances are right (similar to the opening of Cooper'stown, the tribute to Glen, the Christmas Pudding, the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, the Jagermeister event, "Welcome 2 My Nightmare" and The Golden Gods Awards), then it will happen again probably and if the circumstances are not right, it probably won't happen (the only exception I can think of would be if an EXTRAORDINARY financial offer from somewhere was made). The point that Sickthings was making is that to keep going on about it borders on insanity.

>---Response: Again, I really feel that there are a lot of less vocal fans that would respond favorably to a reunion mini-tour and, even more so, an album.

I agree with that too, but the majority JUST DON'T CARE and that isn't because they don't like the original band or anything. It is because they have moved on, aren't living ing the past and are grateful for what they have had (and still have) rather than obsess about what they don't have. Also, the people that keep going about a reunion never really define what they mean by that. Is it not the case also that, reportedly, Michael Bruce has retired from performing? I don't know how true that is, but some people (I'm not referring to you) really do need to stop making assumptions about things they don't know anything about.

>Again – is it enough to make things happen? Appears not to be.

Exactly.

>---Response: I lump the “why no reunion” group into the same category as “why did the band break up”. People will always speculate on reasons for both….mainly because there is no ONE answer for either event.

I agree with that as well, but I don't think that was the point I was making. My point was that speculating is one thing but pointing fingers and indulging in conspiracy theories is quite another and we both, I think, will have witnessed examples of that.

>---Response: I’ll agree...lacking any conclusive evidence, one way or another. :)

A search in the archives here and on Facebook might provide an answer.

>---Response: Correct, definitely a minority. But (as you get older, Andy) past events start to mean more.

I don't think this is the place for a philosophical discussion about the 'good old days' and I think obsessing about bringing them back is not of much use.

> I find it pleasing that many actually do wish to see history come alive again.

THAT IS THE PART THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND. You CANNOT make "history come alive again" - as John Lennon said, "you can't re - heat a souffle'" and I think that's a valid statement. What do the people think is going to happen?! Do they think that all of a sudden, the band is going to make an album that sells millions of copies and that they will play sold out shows in huge arenas or something?! That is insane!

>Would it? That is another issue.

No, it isn't. You know the answer to that .

> As I have said before...I am too much of a realist to EXPECT a big “something”, will occur. But I think there is a good chunk of people that would wish it so…realistic or not.

Maybe and maybe not but there's a bigger "chunk" that don't care. I am not saying they are against it. Far from it but I AM saying that they don't obsess about it. Think about this as well - promoters usually know what they're doing and granted, it isn't an exact science, but if there were that many people just clamoring for a reunion, don't you think that promoters would have made appropriate financial offers by now for some shows? Also, I liked Paul Brenton's challenge where he asked if people would pay a VERY HIGH ticket price to compensate for the relatively small number of shows in small to medium - sized venues, to make it worthwhile not just for promoters to make offers but to also make it worthwhile to even perform those shows. The people baying for a reunion tour seemed to shut up after that challenge was issued. I wonder why that was?!

>BTW --it would be interesting to be able to calculate an overall opinion on the type of album Alice should deliver in 2014. How many would prefer an ACG based album over a cover songs album….if that were their only two choices.

It depends who is going to write the songs on "an ACG based album".

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:56 pm

>I think the results of that would be pretty predictable.

Exactly.

>A more telling poll would maybe be between an all new solo album and an ACG album.

That is a good question and this whole ridiculous debate has forced me to do something I didn't want to do which is to go to Facebook which reveals that Alice's page has 1,309,334 likes, the "Dunaway's Rock" page has 2,487 likes, Neal Smith's page has 3,749 likes and the "let's get the original alice cooper group to a tour" page has 2,226 members, so maybe that gives an indication of some kind as well.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:58 pm

>Sad, but true, which is why we should be grateful for every new show with the "old boys" or the new band,

That isn't enough for some people though. They prefer to dictate to others what they should do with their lives and then loudly claim there is a conspiracy when they don't get the thing or things they want.
Last edited by A_MichaelUK on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:29 pm

Although I would rather have Alice do another album full of originals, it will be interesting to see what he plans to do with a cover album release. Maybe he will become inspired through this project and quickly follow up with an original album within a year from ideas that came to him during the recording sessions. That would be great.

If he plans on doing another rock album after the covers album, I'm hoping for something like Hey Stoopid. If it's a concept album, I'd like to see him either follow up W2MN with ACG2H (But a lot more violent of a hell) than the disco hell he went to the first time in ACGTH. This could be more of a metal/rock album. Or he could choose to keep a disco theme since Alice hates disco but make it sound more intense.

Or a concept album like The Last Temptation or even that Night Shift project he had planned. Concept albums are best when they somewhat flow like WTMN or TLT. W2MN was good, but it just went all over the place musically and lyrically for me and it was like ALice was having 5 different dreams. I think one of the things that made WTMN so epic was how the last 30% of the album violentally connected from the events that went on in the beginning of the album. The songs flowed right into each other.

Regardless, I look forward to anything Alice decides to do in the coming years. He respects all of his influences and that's a great thing to see from a talented musician.

One other thing that would be awesome: An album titled: Shock Rock Therapy. Alice Cooper, Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie all lending their voices together in one album that meshes their songwriting ability and musicians together. But that may be difficult considering they all have their own styles and directions on writing and the type of music their bands play. But maybe that could be turned into a concept album with specific chapters that each can work on. 4 songs each and a final song at the end with all of them contributing together. I think that would be a really cool album. :rock:

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:46 pm

I'm surprised no one has touched on this,but has it occured to anyone that many times alice has thrown his ideas out there only to see it not come to frution? how about "night shift" or "the seven deadly" with Alan Meinken? how about "welcome to my nightmare 2" at the time of "constrictor"? or going back really far,a live album discussed in "hit parader" titled "Is that any way to treat a legend?" supposedly coming out from the "special forces" tour. Don't go crazy on opinions yet my friends,is all I'm saying. He could go so far left of what we expect..and that's one of the things I love about coop!
Andy touched on my thoughts of those calling for a reunion...they happen all the time! many examples by now of this!! If I were a betting man,I'd say plan on it! will it be an album or tour? probably not,but you have many documented events that this isn't such a IMprobability that you can count that out.

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:38 am

I think it's more of an issue now (a wish to be more precise) with older fans, since the induction of the Alice Cooper Group into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Since then, there's been a bit of activity that has the boys all together again. That's something some of us NEVER thought we would EVER see again. You can see where that raises expectations. Blue Coupe opening for Alice. Alice now on the new Blue Coupe album. Dennis joining Alice on stage from time to time. The ACG on Alice's W2MN disc. The "old School" box set. The jaggermeister hologram show. ect..

Hard not to want to see it go just a step farther - for some of us. If not, I'm happy for the mini reunions and one offs. It's really more then what I expected at this point.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:39 am

me too..I recall many years before the internet,just wondeing what ever happened to the band at all!

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:00 pm

I'm Pain wrote:I think it's more of an issue now (a wish to be more precise) with older fans, since the induction of the Alice Cooper Group into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
I tend to agree...age is a factor in the "wishing for a reunion" chatter. Perhaps, in a couple of years when Alice is done touring worldwide, they can set up a reunion tour and hit as many senior citizen homes as possible. Maybe two short sets of songs, with nap time (for audience and band) inserted in the middle.
:laugh:

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:13 pm

I'm Pain wrote:....since the induction of the Alice Cooper Group into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Since then, there's been a bit of activity that has the boys all together again. That's something some of us NEVER thought we would EVER see again.
Well, there really hasn't been that much activity with the four of them all together. Since the 1999 reunion at the GBMW at Cooperstown, they have been together at two Christmas Pudding events in Phoenix, at the RnR HOF induction, the Golden Gods awards and for three songs on W2MN, and the hologram event. Hopefully, there will be a performance this summer....as I have offered DD the use of my backyard (free of charge!) for a Blue Coupe show. I think the appeal of being outdoors, during the summer in Arizona, will appeal to AC, NS, and MB, and the first annual ACG BroilFest will come about!

:)

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:29 pm

being an Alice Cooper fan since 73,I agree with the above postings : glad to see him around after all these years.
and to be able to see( youtube) Michael Bruce perform recently on the Island touring was fun too.
as for a reunion or something alike : maybe we won't get any closer than the songs on W2MNM2 but that is already more than we could reasonably expect imo.
btw : didn't know Michael didn't perform anymore..(thx for the info.)
you really wouldn't understand..

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:33 pm

Well, there really hasn't been that much activity with the four of them all together. Since the 1999 reunion at the GBMW at Cooperstown, they have been together at two Christmas Pudding events in Phoenix, at the RnR HOF induction, the Golden Gods awards and for three songs on W2MN, and the hologram event.

Well, that kind of averages out at once every two years or so (which isn't bad) and besides, you are missing the point which is that before 1998 or so, it was almost inconceivable that anything like those examples would ever happen.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:34 pm

>btw : didn't know Michael didn't perform anymore..(thx for the info.)

I didn't state it as a fact. I understand that is the situation but I have no confirmation of it.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:36 am

My interest in the band working together isn't based on nostalgia but that they could still do a great album together. If the 3 songs they worked on together for W2MN are any indication then a whole album intrigues me.

It doesn't matter to me if they tour together and I'll admit doing an album together may be unrealistic, I have no idea, just stating that of all the possibilities mentioned so far I'd look forward to a group album the most.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:13 am

> I find it pleasing that many actually do wish to see history come alive again.

THAT IS THE PART THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND. You CANNOT make "history come alive again" - as John Lennon said, "you can't re - heat a souffle'" and I think that's a valid statement. What do the people think is going to happen?! Do they think that all of a sudden, the band is going to make an album that sells millions of copies and that they will play sold out shows in huge arenas or something?! That is insane!

I may be wrong, Andy, but pretty sure it was Paul McCartney who is credited for the above quote. I think Lennon's big answer was "When You Go back to High School" concerning a Beatles reunion. Would have been nice and may have happened if John hadn't been killed , but certainly not in the 70's.
As one of the "Minority" who had hoped for an ACG reunion, at this point have other things to worry about and just glad ALL of them are making for the most part good albums, seem to get along and little one-offs are really the best course of action rather than a big get-together.
Maybe if the albums hadn't been SO good, this topic would not be brought up and as mentioned, really no point to it. Let's enjoy the past, but live in the present.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:27 pm

I really can't be excited by this news, just like I'm not excited about him playing covers for the recent tour. Why? He has plenty of material he still hasn't played yet, and he's performing "break on through." This tour has his weakest setlist ever. To top it off with a cover CD.....Alice, Nooooooooooooooooo
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......