Alice Cooper Plans Covers Album as Next Release

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Re: Alice Cooper Plans Covers Album as Next Release

Post by kevinuk81 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:50 pm

Although not a fan of an album of covers, at least the songs are written, so time is saved that way, and Alice can do what he wants after all these years, we would all have a moan if he stopped recording completely.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:34 pm

SickThings wrote: They've had almost 40 years to regroup. If it were going to happen, it would have by now. Clearly, for whatever reasons, they don't want to. Or they will. In any case, repeated mentions of it here by people who can't let it go isn't going to make it happen....
Hunter
THEY?????? THEY?????

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:12 am

Well, the problem with cover albums is that they usually sound like a bunch of random tracks (some work - some don't) just thrown together. At least the Ramones tried with "Acid Eaters" to have some sort of focus on music from a certain period. Still, I have yet to hear a cover album that is without some major flaws.

If Alice is concentrating on early 1970s stuff - it would make sense to use the ACG on the album, being as though it's their era. If he were doing 1980s metal covers (or pop - the GaGa song) - his current band would be the wise, and logical choice. It all depends on the flavor of the album, and making it come together as a creative piece.

I'm looking forward to it. As I mentioned earlier, Alice has great taste in picking out covers. My only concern is that he said he's covering stuff related to his Hollywood Vampires era. He hung out with Mickey Dolenz of the Monkees. Is he going to do a Monkees cover? That could be disturbing......

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:18 am

Not saying I want Alice covering the Monkees but I like a lot of their music. I don't think he'll do it, the music isn't 1973 era, but one song that could work is Not Your Stepping Stone which is pretty hard rocking and has Alice attitude in the lyrics. The Sex Pistols even covered it.

My favorite Alice cover is Talk Talk and I'd enjoy him doing some obscure garage songs of the 60s although it sounds like he's focusing on 70s. Something by Iggy Pop would be nice.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:15 am

> he said he's covering stuff related to his Hollywood Vampires era.

At least you have actually read what he is supposed to have said, in which case there was really no need for the other parts of your post which just add to the dumb speculation that is already taking place about something which may not even happen.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:01 pm

GNDM wrote:
SickThings wrote: They've had almost 40 years to regroup. If it were going to happen, it would have by now. Clearly, for whatever reasons, they don't want to. Or they will. In any case, repeated mentions of it here by people who can't let it go isn't going to make it happen....
Hunter
THEY?????? THEY?????
Since I don't know the various members, I used "they". "They" could be just Alice or Alice and management. I don't know, so I used "they." In any case, what I said stands: repeated pleas here by fans isn't going to make it happen. If it were, it would have happened already.

And unlike the pleaders, I think a reunion would be met with a giant "Ho, Hum" by the world at large, since most people who've heard of Alice Cooper have no idea that used to be a group name. A reunion tour would not sell out arenas, and a reunion album isn't going to land them on the charts....

Hunter

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:45 pm

"They" could be just Alice or Alice and management. I don't know, so I used "they."

Thank you. That wasn't so hard was it?

You know, I often find being a realist to be a bit boring. Every so often it is nice to ponder "what ifs" and imagine what "could/might be" - even if it is a long shot. It sure would be a boring world if we had to examine our dreams and wishes to the point of extinguishing them.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:56 pm

>Every so often it is nice to ponder "what ifs" and imagine what "could/might be" - even if it is a long shot.

There is nothing wrong with that except for maybe the fact that while doing that, some people go beyond that and end up driving themselves crazy in the process. This tends to lead to irrational posts, unfortunately.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:41 pm

GNDM wrote:Thank you. That wasn't so hard was it?
Unlike some here, I have no interest in "blaming" any one person or group because I don't know the facts. Maybe it is just Alice. Maybe he can't stand being around the other guys. Maybe the other guys are still pissed at how it all went down. In any case, I don't know why it hasn't happened, so I'm not going to assume it's all Alice's fault or Shep's fault or whoever the pro-reunion people want to blame.
A_MichaelUK wrote:>Every so often it is nice to ponder "what ifs" and imagine what "could/might be" - even if it is a long shot.

There is nothing wrong with that except for maybe the fact that while doing that, some people go beyond that and end up driving themselves crazy in the process. This tends to lead to irrational posts, unfortunately.
And those people make the same comments in every post, which can also be quite boring for those reading. I get it. A lot of people here would like to see a reunion. We don't need to see it mentioned in every single post, but it sometimes feels like it is mentioned that often.

Hunter

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:41 pm

>We don't need to see it mentioned in every single post, but it sometimes feels like it is mentioned that often.

That is absolutely correct and after a while, it becomes rather weird.

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:43 pm

Just wondering....if this 're-union' thing is being mentioned so often here (on this, a site with more of a solo-Alice lean), one might wonder if there is an even stronger desire for a reunion "event" outside these four walls? After all, if it is mentioned in "every single post" wouldn't it seem like there is at least a good under-current of fans desiring some reunion?

Similar to what Hunter said, I have no facts to support why there has never been more than one and off reunion events. Like many, I have my views on the subject. However, I have not based my future around the idea that there will, or won't, be a larger reunion in the near future. I tend to worry more about things like the size of my prostate, the stock market fluctuations, and if I will ever win the battle against the weeds in my yard. Since my 'wishes' for a reunion will have no influence on the people involved in creating such a thing - I will not raise a sweat about it. However....there does seem to be an under-current amongst a group of AC fans that would like to see "something" occur. I think those opposed to such an event will have to continue hearing about it - at least until the Reaper makes his next call.

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:46 am

GNDM - Nicely put..

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:48 am

GNDM wrote:Just wondering....if this 're-union' thing is being mentioned so often here (on this, a site with more of a solo-Alice lean)
Could you clarify what you mean by this? I would seriously like to know why you (and possibly others) see it that way as it's in no way my intention.
I try and cover ALL Alice Cooper both past and present and try and go out of my way to advertise and promote, to my limited abilities, anything the band members are currently up to both original and solo bands.

If you mean these forums and the people who use them then yes, I do get what you mean to a egree. But site wide I would say the emphesis is at least equal if not more in favour of the early years, as that is what I'm most interested in as a fan and "historian" of Alice history.

The fact is Alice has been solo much longer now then he was a member of a band, there are more solo albums then band albums.

Certainly not wanting to question whether your perception is correct or not, just asking for clarrification as to why you think it's "a site with more of a solo-Alice lean".

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:55 am

GNDM wrote:Just wondering....if this 're-union' thing is being mentioned so often here (on this, a site with more of a solo-Alice lean), one might wonder if there is an even stronger desire for a reunion "event" outside these four walls? After all, if it is mentioned in "every single post" wouldn't it seem like there is at least a good under-current of fans desiring some reunion?
I meant to write, "every single post by a handful of people." It's the same people posting it over and over and over.....

Hunter

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:36 am

Like many, I'm not enthusiastic about a covers album, mainly because I suspect any such album would be filled with standards such as My Generation. I'm sure it would quite enjoyable in its own way though, I've always liked his version of Fire for example.

If it happens, this is my suggestion for a ballad. I can easily imagine it done in an Alice style, the lyrics are very fitting, we all know how fond he was of Keith Moon and it's not a very well known song. Alice can skip the high note on 3:35 if he wants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXZdt9PYDKw

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:08 am

> one might wonder if there is an even stronger desire for a reunion "event" outside these four walls?

You already know the answer to that, though. Look at Paul Brenton's challenge on Facebook - it wasn't exactly a resounding success.

>After all, if it is mentioned in "every single post" wouldn't it seem like there is at least a good under-current of fans desiring some reunion?

No because it tends to be the same people bringing it up (and I don't just mean here, either).

>Similar to what Hunter said, I have no facts to support why there has never been more than one and off reunion events.

Neither do ninety - nine percent of the people who comment publicly on the matter but it doesn't stop them commenting unfortunately.

>However, I have not based my future around the idea that there will, or won't, be a larger reunion in the near future.

Maybe not, in which case, I'm glad to hear it, but admittedly, you are, arguably, the one who brings it up here the most, I think. That isn't a criticism, but I think it's an accurate observation.

> However....there does seem to be an under-current amongst a group of AC fans that would like to see "something" occur.

It depends on what you mean by "something", though. As I've said before, I don't doubt there will be further reunions at some point (and I never expected there to be as many as there have been since 1998) but for some people, that's never going to be enough until someone invents a time - machine and transports us all back to 1973 and I think those are maybe the people Sickthings was referring to. I know that you know the kind of people I'm referring to. Also, just because there is "under-current" doesn't mean it a majority opinion.

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:57 pm

Could you clarify what you mean by this? I would seriously like to know why you (and possibly others) see it that way as it's in no way my intention.
Si...not a reflection on you. Perhaps I should have used the word "forum" instead of "site". The fact that there is more discussion of solo Alice here is natural, of course. As you and Andy point out....the number of people hoping for, and being vocal about, some form of reunion are in the minority here. That is as it should be, I suppose.

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:02 pm

GNDM wrote" "Just wondering....if this 're-union' thing is being mentioned so often here (on this, a site with more of a solo-Alice lean)"

I know Si replied to this, but I was also curious why GNDM, or others, felt this way. Especially since the other comment implied that the forum is more group driven. I find that the site overall seems to be very balanced, esp. considering that the group was together a much shorter time than solo Alice and, as Si pointed out, Alice has released many more solo lps.
I think if you were just going by those types of criteria, musical output (recording and performances)and years, you would have to say the group is over-represented (similar to Alice's setlists).

While, I can't speak for any others, I think that some of the people who downplay reunion talk are more realists than pro-solo Alice.

I also agree with Hunter that the world at large response to a reuninon would be "Ho hum".
Although, with the right marketing, I believe a full-scale reunion tour could produce a bump in concert attendance (perhaps as much as 25-35%.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:01 pm

>the number of people hoping for, and being vocal about, some form of reunion are in the minority here.

I wasn't just referring to this site though.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm

GNDM wrote:
Si...not a reflection on you. Perhaps I should have used the word "forum" instead of "site". The fact that there is more discussion of solo Alice here is natural, of course. As you and Andy point out....the number of people hoping for, and being vocal about, some form of reunion are in the minority here. That is as it should be, I suppose.
Thanks.
For the record I am a HUGE fan of the original band, and IMHO the albums they put out are in a league fo their own. Alice has come close to their quality on occasion, maybe even equaled it in WTMN, but never surpassed it.

However the "realist" in me doesn't see a full tour ever happening. If it does I will be there, but I just can't see it. There could well be a few more one offs or even a short set of shows as discussed some time back but even with that I think the moment has probably passed. I'm just greatful Alice still tours and has an amazing bunch of musicians playing with him. That will not last forever and the clock is ticking now I would think.