Alice Cooper Plans Covers Album as Next Release

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice Cooper Plans Covers Album as Next Release

Post by While Heaven Wept » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:17 pm

It could be interesting if is treated sympathetically.....similar to what Rick Rubin did with Johnny Cash.

Unfortunately it sounds as though they will just be straight-up rock covers. Let's just hope the song choice is good.

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:00 pm

Count me in as one who would like Born This Way included, if/when a covers album is released. :)
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:21 pm

Kind of mixed about this-have liked the covers he's done with the original band and solo, but usually a whole album of covers usually doesn't make it (see Poison, Ramones and Joan Jett), but if he does some off the wall stuff (Good choices, I'M PAIN), like The Stooges or Slade, might be interesting. Would prefer an album of new material, but badness knows, he's been pretty consistent with new material and if he wants to relax and have a little fun, well, more power to him.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:07 pm

What I Would love to hear frpm the Coop IOs A Cooperesque version of Sympathy For The Devil, That one WOuld Fit Him So Well

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:22 pm

Diane-the madonna related link was funny although the one note featured sounded lIke the intro beat to He's Back...lol..GNDM that west side story clip re cool was hideous IMO...and why Africa by Toto..Personally a heavy rock version of " i get no kick from Champagne" might be good...Born this way has to be on there...I would buy it anyway...it couldnt be worse than the shock I got when playing Lace and W. in 1977 on vinyl (I havent replaced that on cd))...As long as there are no big bands involved I am ok with it...guitars please to the fore and no "Mac the knife "either..
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:40 pm

Personally, I hope Alice has fun with this album. He likes Leonard Bernstein tunes....so go ahead and add one or two. Of course, he will want to have a Doors, Lennon, Hendrix song....but why stick to covers that everyone has done? Alice always has a surprise, so I hope he does not stick to simple RnR songs and he throws in some off the wall tracks. I'd buy it if I saw some West Side Story tunes on it, or a few old Yardbird or Stones cover - done Spiders' fashion.

The songs Officer Krupke or Cool from West Side Story would be great.

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:44 pm

recoop wrote:Diane-the madonna related link was funny although the one note featured sounded lIke the intro beat to He's Back...lol..GNDM that west side story clip re cool was hideous IMO...and why Africa by Toto..Personally a heavy rock version of " i get no kick from Champagne" might be good...Born this way has to be on there...I would buy it anyway...it couldnt be worse than the shock I got when playing Lace and W. in 1977 on vinyl (I havent replaced that on cd))...As long as there are no big bands involved I am ok with it...guitars please to the fore and no "Mac the knife "either..
That was not Madonna, Recoop... As per that next release... New stuff, covers, remakes, just speculations... Remember the Night Shift album? Didn't happened... And we had that joke that was WTMN2, instead.
[

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:55 pm

As I said before, this is really only fun if Alice pushes boundries, takes chances and does the unexpected.

If he just plays it safe and re-records popular songs we all know with the same exact arrangements then that's not so appealing.

For example, "We Gotta Get Out Of This Place" doesn't do a whole lot for me because it's so similar to the original. Same with his cover of Hendrix' "Fire".

But "Pretty Balerina", on the other hand, I really enjoy because that isn't a classic rock staple and I didn't know it. I'm not really sure how close his arrangement is to the original but it doesn't matter as much because it's more obscure.

So Alice... do some obscure rock tunes... do some show tunes... do some cheesy 70s AM radio songs... just don't do classic rock staples we're already sick of.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Not overly keen on the whole concept but then this could probably(?) be done and dusted very quickly without delaying the next 'proper' album.

I totally agree with the whole picking obscure songs thing. Less Fire and more Sun Arise please :)
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:06 pm

Hi Diane, yep I knew that wasn't madonna...thats why I said related to...I think this will probably happen as a means of promoting it would be to do with his deceased ex drinking buddies etc-no guarantees right enough... I would hope for some off the wall numbers/obscure rock numbers...think we will get some rock staples in their though...would put money on foxy lady if orianthi around. :rock:
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:19 pm

I would LOVE to hear Alice cover a song like Officer Krupke. I've always thought that would sound great if covered by a Rock singer. I've searched high and low and never found a Rock cover.
You know what to do Alice lol.
All Of My Life Was A Laugh And A Joke
And A Drink And A Smoke
And Then I Passed Out On The Floor

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:46 am

Somwhere In Auckland wrote:Didn't I read somwhere that Alice was again working with Bob Ezrin on the next album? So we could see both next year.

A covers album won't take much time to record at all, from memory Metallica took less than a month to record and mix the songs for there double LP garage inc.

in fact the album was recorded mixed and released all in a 3 month period.
(recording started September 14 album released November 24)

So if Alice does something like this then there won't be too much of a problem then go back to the new studio album and tour for this in 2014.
not much of a valid comparison that, a lot of Tallica's tracks had been culled from single B sides.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

billiondollar18
Trash
Trash

Post by billiondollar18 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:02 am

not overly joyed buy this idea,though i would like to hear him try and do a version of "radar love". Just hope a xmas album is not next on his list of things to do!!

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:07 pm

billiondollar18 wrote:not overly joyed buy this idea,though i would like to hear him try and do a version of "radar love". Just hope a xmas album is not next on his list of things to do!!
I think Twisted Sister have that market covered ;)
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

Luney Tune
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Luney Tune » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:28 pm

I didn`t like that he included the covers section in the RTD show. And certainly not the idea of a covers album !! Why should Alice Cooper do that for ??? Is it Vincent Furnier who want to this or is it Alice ??I think it`s Vince cause Alice don`t pay tribute to anybody. What he should really considering doing instead is to make a complete album with the original group + Steve Hunter. A real 70`s feel album. Just listen to the tracks from W2MN with the original members. A whole album like that. Yes Indeed !!! I am absolutely sure that the majority of the fans want that more than the cover album.
It`s all in this luney tune....

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:46 pm

recently I asked myself : what makes Alice Cooper so special ?
it's not only the singer ( he has that special voice..)it's the whole complex of the history of the ACG, the shows, the snake, the lyrics, the Alice Cooper -cartoonesk showman..., (and the clever guy behind it.)
and that is not what I am going to see in just a coveralbum...
so I am not so excited about the idea, and fearing this would not be the Alice I "know"..
could be wrong.. :/
you really wouldn't understand..

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:08 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:As I said before, this is really only fun if Alice pushes boundries, takes chances and does the unexpected.

If he just plays it safe and re-records popular songs we all know with the same exact arrangements then that's not so appealing.

For example, "We Gotta Get Out Of This Place" doesn't do a whole lot for me because it's so similar to the original. Same with his cover of Hendrix' "Fire".

But "Pretty Balerina", on the other hand, I really enjoy because that isn't a classic rock staple and I didn't know it. I'm not really sure how close his arrangement is to the original but it doesn't matter as much because it's more obscure.

So Alice... do some obscure rock tunes... do some show tunes... do some cheesy 70s AM radio songs... just don't do classic rock staples we're already sick of.
hey guys, been a way for a while but glad to be back. I was looking for something original to say about this topic but RemarkablyInsincere summed it up perfectly. I have been saying for some while that I thought Alice should re-vamp the stage show as it had got very 'samey' so i was delighted with the covers section also this is a left field move so I also hope he pushes the envelope with it and throws a few curve balls.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:30 pm

Everybody is still alive and presumably healthy (Dennis, Neal, Michael, Bob) it seems now is the time for a group album before something happens, nobody is getting any younger. There may be a time in the future when they look back and wished they'd grabbed the opportunity. An album of covers would just be a blip on the radar screen and could be done any time.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:04 pm

darkmenace wrote:Everybody is still alive and presumably healthy (Dennis, Neal, Michael, Bob) it seems now is the time for a group album before something happens, nobody is getting any younger. There may be a time in the future when they look back and wished they'd grabbed the opportunity. An album of covers would just be a blip on the radar screen and could be done any time.
They've had almost 40 years to regroup. If it were going to happen, it would have by now. Clearly, for whatever reasons, they don't want to. Or they will. In any case, repeated mentions of it here by people who can't let it go isn't going to make it happen....

Hunter

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:29 pm

Way I see it; Welcome 2 my nightmare came out in 2011 If we get a covers album in 2014, we wont see an Alice album of originals to 2015 or later.

I cant wait that long for a proper album ::((: