The Nightmare Dvd

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

sumorider
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

The Nightmare Dvd

Post by sumorider » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:13 pm

I can't understand why The Nightmare DVD has never been officially release.
I prefer The Nightmare to Welcome To My Nightmare Live Film.
Especially, Vincent Price & Alice scene.
(Devil's Food~Some folks, Black Widow, Years Ago, The Awakening and Ending)
I wish DVD release while I live....

Sorry for my poor English.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: The Nightmare Dvd

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:09 am

>I can't understand why The Nightmare DVD has never been officially release.

It almost happened a couple of years ago or so but then the opportunity to put together the "Old School" box set came along and took priority.

>I wish DVD release while I live....

It could still happen.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:13 pm

Let's hope it does. My VHS is 26 years old and pretty beat up.
Andy, thanks for the info. :) :)
"I need everything the world owes me..."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:00 pm

>My VHS is 26 years old

Really? I think it came out in 1983 and was out of print quite quickly.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:16 pm

As it's been out of print for so long, I would guess most people's copies are not 'shop bought' versions nowadays.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:38 pm

>As it's been out of print for so long, I would guess most people's copies are not 'shop bought' versions nowadays.

That is true but that doesn't change when the item was manufactured. I think the copy that tuneylune has will be thirty years old unless he bought a pirate copy or something.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:45 am

At the risk of being controversial, i'm really not a fan of WTMN live. I find Alice's performance (vocal wise) to be really poor. I also hate the mix - there are occasions where the guitars are barely audible.

But then, that whole period isn't one of my favourites anyway.

I do however think The Nightmare was really good.

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:48 pm

Like in any good discussion there will be people with polarized opinions and varied points of view. That's the beauty of it. This message will go a little bit off-topic as I haven't ever seen the Nightmare TV special.

WTMN live is for me the best Alice Cooper live DVD. The stage show is by far the best AC stage production captured on DVD. The first half is very humorous and the second half very dark. While not the best vocal performance as whole (he seems to have some vibe problems) I think some songs are pulled off quite convincinly. And that version of Steven is by far the best one I have ever seen even if you strip down all theatrics. Vocally and musically just mindblowing. The guitar battle between Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner has a jaw dropping WOW effect on me.

But I must confess that I am a huge fan of late 70's Alice in general, the period which many fans feel being second or third rate material. That's just fine with me. I for one have never been excited of certain album and its tour which many fans hail as a masterpiece. But that belongs to another topic.

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:45 pm

Will always love the WTMN album and DVD.
[

sumorider
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by sumorider » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:29 pm

To A_MichaelUK
>It could still happen.

To tuneylune
>Let's hope it does.

Thank you for your kind words!
For me, Welcome To My Nightmare is the best album in Rock history.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:00 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>My VHS is 26 years old

Really? I think it came out in 1983 and was out of print quite quickly.
I actually ordered it from an ad in CIRCUS magazine (along with Black Sabbath's NEVER SAY DIE VHS) for a whopping $29.95 and it took forever to arrive-had to fill out a search form via UPS, but they both eventually came. It was in the summer of 1986 and it was a legit copy-a big box with Alice cowering on the front with spiders around him and posing with the dancers on the back.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:16 pm

>It was in the summer of 1986

So it would have been three years old by the time you bought it, I think.

> and it was a legit copy-a big box with Alice cowering on the front with spiders around him and posing with the dancers on the back.

Good. I did see one rather convincing forgery.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:35 pm

Hungry for anything Alice in late 80s/90s I bought some VHS stuff related to Alice in the 70s from a guy in Bristol- along with it came an extra blurry VHS of some tv appearances and the nightmare tv special- either in bin or in loft now with 100 other vhs tapes...a new DVD would be welcome-not that keen on some of the way is Alice/Steven is portrayed with Vincent Price but would probably buy a new DVD as I buy most stuff-talking about cost the live Welcome VHS cost me £39.95 ftom HMV in 80s and paid £29.95 for Strange case of AC-again HMV in Norwich -can remember one of them was in there top selling charts at the time -Welcome I think.
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:51 pm

recoop wrote:Hungry for anything Alice in late 80s/90s I bought some VHS stuff related to Alice in the 70s from a guy in Bristol
I don't suppose his name was Shaun was it?

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:32 pm

I can't remember While Heaven Wept..was a short surname I think...but even as a freebie it was a waste of money...did you have dealings with a Shaun from Bristol and what happened?

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:24 pm

It was a chap called Shaun Rucz. A quick look on google shows he's still very much trading.

I remember he had a vast collection of video material.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:15 pm

Thats the guy..overall I was very happy with what I got from him at time..stuff I would never have seen for years-until advent of youtube-wonder if hes still selling VHS..lol

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:54 am

A good video. would be great cleaned up for DVD/Blu-ray. Always liked the commentary track many of the DVD's include. would be interesting to hear Alice talk along with The Nightmare.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:57 pm

recoop wrote:Hungry for anything Alice in late 80s/90s I bought some VHS stuff related to Alice in the 70s from a guy in Bristol- along with it came an extra blurry VHS of some tv appearances and the nightmare tv special- either in bin or in loft now with 100 other vhs tapes...a new DVD would be welcome-not that keen on some of the way is Alice/Steven is portrayed with Vincent Price but would probably buy a new DVD as I buy most stuff-talking about cost the live Welcome VHS cost me £39.95 ftom HMV in 80s and paid £29.95 for Strange case of AC-again HMV in Norwich -can remember one of them was in there top selling charts at the time -Welcome I think.
As While Heaven Wept has pointed out that would have been Shaun Rucz.
I remember at Alice's 82 Hammersmith gig in the bar before him asking me if I was interested in Alice bootlegs. I already had some rare live audio tapes but he certainly had a large collection of stuff. The Nightmare VHS I know he was later selling a DVD version of which was pretty good quality. Maybe Alice's people will put out an official DVD of The Nightmare in 2015 when it's the 40th anniversary as all fans should own that it is truly awesome.

The live concert filmed at Wembley I love but I wish they had got the sound recording something akin to the LA Forum live recording which is sensational guitars right up in the mix. I think Alice's live vocals with the drinking beginning to take its toll were not as good as the tours that preceeded but the whole thing still sounds like magic and the studio album for me as good as anything he did with the original group. 1971-1975 those albums are perfection for me and even though similar criticism of his live vocals for Madhouse Rock in 79 is made, I still love that live film and think 1978 From The Inside is up there with the classic 71-75 period.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV