Billion Dollar Babies - 40th Anniversary

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Billion Dollar Babies - 40th Anniversary

Post by Devon » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:30 am

We have hit the 40th Anniversary mark of the release of the legendary "Billion Dollar Babies." Please discuss your thoughts and memories of hearing this album, the tour, etc.

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Re: Billion Dollar Babies - 40th Anniversary

Post by Railwayman » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:06 am

Never saw the tour unfortunately. As for the album, I still listen to it reasonably regularly which after 40 years either shows me to be stuck in the past or suggest that it was a and still is a brilliant album. I prefer to think the latter applies. It was a fitting end to what was a superb never to be repeated run of masterpieces.
B$B is such a complete album, the parts are great, the production is great. the packaging is great. It was just perfect from the open strands of what is still one of the best album openers, to the classic finale. Blew me away the first time I heard it and still does.

I'm off to listen to it again.

old school vet
Killer
Killer

Post by old school vet » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:36 pm

Hey Devon, thanks for reminding me that I am getting old!!!

This was the first album that I had purchased. A spotty faced 13 year old should not have been allowed to come out of a store with such a thing, totally agree with Mary Whitehouse...silly old moo.

Seriously,I totally agree with the Railwayman. A complete album in everyway. Still at the top of my play list as well. When anyone talks of a classic album this should be up there with the best of the best, and if it's not too late, Thanks Alice,Dennis,Neal,Michael,Glen,Bob, and all those associated with it...

ReGorLaTroy
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by ReGorLaTroy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:03 pm

I was 11 years old when I got this album for Christmas.

I was just mezmerized by the packaging, the songs, the whole thing.

I played that album over and over and over.

Just listened to it the other day as a matter of fact.

All these years later, it is still one of my favourite albums of all times.
"I'm a gambler, and I'm a runner..."

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:23 am

amazing album-I have the gatefold version,the re-released non gatefold version,cassette,the quadraphonic album version,and the deluxe cd....do I like it? I think so! happy anniversary billion dollar babies!

guilty65
Killer
Killer

Post by guilty65 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:13 am

Not to trump age here, But I was 7 years old when I first heard B$B and I thought I was hit by a train. This record(Showing my age) will be buried with me when I die. It is by far my most favorite recording by ANY artist.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:02 am

The first AC album I ever heard, I remember my Dad buying it at a car boot sale on vinyl for 50p. I was intrigued by the artwork and photos inside....felt like I was listening to something really naughty!

Awesome album in every way.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:22 pm

It was fantastic when I heard it at 13 and at 51, with age and (hopefully!) experience, it is still fantastic. Remember when I first got, looked at all the cool photos of the guys, read the lyrics, read all the technical credits (one of the first albums I did it for too and as I got more albums throughout the years began to remember the names) and just loved the "Billion Dollar Bill". Of course, I never saw the tour ::((: , but have the DVD and Special Edition, which will have to do.
Think I will airdrum to "Unfinished Suite" now :rock: :rock:
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:53 pm

Billion Dollar Babies did sell more than a million copies in 1973.
Lots of $$$$$$$$$, and this was the greatest thing about it. :alice:
[

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:10 pm

Missed the tour myself. My 1st ACG Lp was MOL and was a birthday gift from my Grandmother (14th) so when I got my hands on B$Bs, I was amazed at the packaging. Pacific Eye & Ear did a great job! I was disappointed with other Lps that didn't include such goodies. B$Bs didn't need 'em - just a sweet bonus that makes it more collectable today. Thankx Boys! I still remember seeing AC perform Unfinished Sweet (during promo for WTMN) on the Smothers Brothers show w/Tommy Smothers as the Tooth. Great Lp not a bum cut on it - calling it Classic is not good enough. Colossally Epic comes close. :unclesam:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:01 pm

I have a few eras I would like to time-travel to now, and the era of this tour is one of them.

I believe the reason this show didn't come to Britain is because of that MP and Mary Whitehouse? I was too young anyway at 9!!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:11 pm

>I believe the reason this show didn't come to Britain is because of that MP and Mary Whitehouse?

No, although those factors are all part of the legend.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:39 pm

Leo Abse was the M.P.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:18 pm

Wasn't a huge fan of B$B when I got into Alice in the mid-80s. Metal Alice was where it was at for me, and it took some time to get into the earlier stuff. Love B$B now though.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:59 pm

Daggers & Contracts wrote:Missed the tour myself. My 1st ACG Lp was MOL and was a birthday gift from my Grandmother (14th) so when I got my hands on B$Bs, I was amazed at the packaging. Pacific Eye & Ear did a great job! I was disappointed with other Lps that didn't include such goodies. B$Bs didn't need 'em - just a sweet bonus that makes it more collectable today. Thankx Boys! I still remember seeing AC perform Unfinished Sweet (during promo for WTMN) on the Smothers Brothers show w/Tommy Smothers as the Tooth. Great Lp not a bum cut on it - calling it Classic is not good enough. Colossally Epic comes close. :unclesam:
Hey DAC! I saw that show too-living in Panama Canal Zone, got all kinds of weird TV. Had just gotten into the Coop and the main thing I remembered was the "Achin' to get me" of the song. Couple months later, Mom got me BDB and SCHOOL'S OUT! Happy Days! :) :laugh: :clap: :alice: :rock:
"I need everything the world owes me..."

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:35 pm

For me too this was the first Alice Cooper album I ever had !
No more mister nice guy was the first real hit song I heard, but everything about the album was just great.Loved the little pictures (Alice with snake !).
perhaps the most perfect album cover ever ! Have it on cd, the luxe cd etc..
those where the days ! :alice:
you really wouldn't understand..

charlie2times
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by charlie2times » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:47 pm

The first album i got was welcome to my nightmare when i was 10 in 75 after hearing my sister play it.
I was soon spending all my pocket money on all the other albums, and while B$B is not my fave, i still listen to it now, and that's a testament to it's depth and song writing.
Most of the stuff i listened to as a kid i have long discarded as i have grown in my musical tastes, but Cooper and Bowie are still on my playlists :)
When B$B was released this 2 artists were, deservedly, the biggest bands on the planet, may it be so again!!

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:45 am

CLASSICK!
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:49 am

Gunner wrote:I have a few eras I would like to time-travel to now, and the era of this tour is one of them.

I believe the reason this show didn't come to Britain is because of that MP and Mary Whitehouse? I was too young anyway at 9!!
The energy crisis of 1973 when we were getting power cuts a lot in Britain is said to be the reason by Alice in interviews around that time including the one I recently uploaded on Daily Motion.

Of course they did play those 5 final gigs in Brazil in March/April 74 so it's a shame the UK couldn't have seen that show before the band split as a European tour was planned but cancelled before the Brazil gigs.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV