Album of the day:PLATINUM GOD

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Album of the day:PLATINUM GOD

Post by tuneylune » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:30 pm

Like Mike Bruce's fine IN MY OWN WAY and Alice's WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE, Neal Smith's PLATINUM GOD was recorded between 1974-75 when the ACG decided to take a break from their grueling touring/recording schedule to work on solo projects before getting back together. Of course, NIGHTMARE was a big hit and the success of it meant that Alice Cooper would indeed continue, but strictly as a solo act.
On a tip from my pal "The Igster", I found IMOW at my local record store and read that PG would be coming out soon after, but I didn't get my grubby mitts on it until my first CHILLER convention (10/2006) as an added plus when I got to meet Neal, Mike and Dennis Dunaway.
Despite being almost an EP in it's short running time, the production on this is really good (Kudos to Jack Douglas of Aeosmith, Starz, John Lennon etc for a fine job, despite his less than flattering remark in WALK THIS WAY on the ACG) and Neal's drumming sounds just fine. He has said he doesn't like his voice and to be charitable, it's kind of limited, more a growling/speaking style (especially on "Set Me On Fire") but he sounds good on "Everyday is a Holiday","French Quarter Cookin'" with some great harmonica playing by "Unknown" (It made me wonder if Alice had sat in on this like he did on Mike's "As Rock Rolls On"-??) and although the arrangement is pretty close to the one on BATTLE AXE, "Rock and Roll Radio" has some different lyrics and it's always a fun song.
Some great guitar work by Mike Marconi, who, of course, went on to play on BATTLE AXE as the lead guitarist. Michael Bruce and Mick Mashbir appear on the fun MUSCLE OF LOVE outtake "Baby, Please Don't Stop" and Dennis Dunaway is on every track with stellar playing-indeed, it can be said that for a "solo" project, Neal used a lot of his group.
The only gripes I have include putting basically the same song on twice- -"Maneater Deadly to Her Prey" and "The Sea's a Maneater" are almost identical although the second one is a little longer and with some different leads by Richie Scarlet-the first one is fine, especially with its reference to a "Sick Thing". I have read these two were put in to round out the album, but I feel Neal could have written with Dennis and come up with something interesting instead of rehashing the same song. Lastly, the title track, despite the mix of what Michael Bruce called "Modern and Primitive" drumming goes on for far too long without doing anything (those almost African chants are most annoying), but the song could almost be looked at as a precursor to "God Of Thunder" by KISS with its arrogant domineering deity.
So, on the whole, not great, but certainly not bad either. Good cover and an excellent photo in the CD sleeve with "The Human Octopus" in all his glory! ***
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Album of the day:PLATINUM GOD

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:23 am

Brings to mind what a great guy Neil is. When a local DC area band, DC Star, was playing a club near where Neil lives, the drummer busted his snare and w/music shops closed at the time the club owner called Neil and he loaned the band his snare for the evening! :laugh:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:11 pm

I heard this story as well... :8): :grin: ;)
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:08 am

Great bloke