The Alice Cooper album of the Day:WELCOME 2 MY NIGHTMARE

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

The Alice Cooper album of the Day:WELCOME 2 MY NIGHTMARE

Post by tuneylune » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:56 am

A lot of you did great reviews of this previously, so will try to avoid needless repetition. Was eagerly awaiting this and was pleased beyond words to see it full of names from throughout Alice's career like Bob Ezrin :clap:, Dick Wagner, Desmond Child, Kip Winger, Mark Volman, Steve Hunter (who really shines throughout), Rob Zombie, Chuck Garric, Jimmy DeGrasso and (FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Mike Bruce, Neal Smith and Dennis Dunaway. Kudos must also be given to Vince Gill (as others have pointed out, he can really rock) and especially Tommy Henriksen for being a literal jack of all trades on here.
"I Am Made of You" opens the album in grand style and despite the criticism of auto-tuning, I think it does enhance his voice and as the producer, it's Ezrin's job to get the best possible result from the performer.
"Caffeine" rocks like a bastard and to me, contains some of his funniest lyrics, especially about the "Ice Cold Shower". "The Nightmare Returns" is a good way to get the story fully going before careening into " A Runaway Train" which could almost be the cousin to "Slick Black Limosine" by the way it twists and slides all over the place (Coincidence that Dennis Dunaway had a hand in writing the music for both? I think not) before crashing head on into "The Last Man on Earth" which sounds like a Tom Waits number.
"The Congregation" took me a little while to get into as I found it kind of cheesy , but the music is great and it's my guess Rob Zombie is taking the role Vincent Price did so well in the original album. "Something to remember Me By" may be the "obligatory" ballad, but I think it's the best he's done in ages and also liked the version Donny Osmond did as well-what a kick it would have been to have had him here on background vocals as kind of getting back for the reference in "Department of Youth".
The two remaining ACG songs are both fantastic with "I'll Bite Your Face Off" rocking like a Stones song circa STICKY FINGERS before an almost Elton John-ish piano coda. "When Hell Comes Home" is probably the DARKEST song he's ever done with the story of alcoholic family abuse and the consequences it can bring-musically, love the little guitar strums after certain lines, especially in the "Daddy's gonna get a big surprise".
"What Baby Wants" is a rocking song and Kesha isn't bad, but I think it would have worked better to have Britney Spears on here, reminding us of the "Britney Wants Me" shirts he wore on the DRAGONTOWN tour, plus her own out of control behavior a few years ago. "I Gotta Get out of Here" is a good overview of the album with good music, but find his talking over the "What Part of Dead don't You Get" too much like the unfunny "Give The Kid a Break" and distracting.
My copy has the great "Under The Bed" and three live cuts and I think "UTB" would have worked better as a real cut, removing "Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever" (which would have worked better on ALICE COOPER GOES TO HELL although the guitar work towards the end is quite good and as pointed out, it could be rock conquering disco) and "Ghouls Gone Wild" which could almost have fit on the MCA album with the subject matter and almost Who-ish background vocals. The two aren't bad songs as such-I just think they don't work here.
So, overall, a fantastic album and definitely adding to 2011 being "The Alice Cooper Year" with the group induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the great if way overpriced OLD SCHOOL 1964-74 and this release. Definitely one of the classier sounding albums he had made , especially "The Underture" which seamlessly mixes musical motifs from the original NIGHTMARE with this one. Only complaint I really have is the painfully small writing at the end of the CD booklet when I wanted credits-the man has wrecked havoc with my hearing, now he's trying to make me squint my eyesight away! *****
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: The Alice Cooper album of the Day:WELCOME 2 MY NIGHTMARE

Post by Diane D. » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:59 pm

In my opinion, the WORST album he ever did!
[

frontrowjunkie
Killer
Killer

Post by frontrowjunkie » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:54 pm

Diane D. wrote:In my opinion, the WORST album he ever did!
Totally disagree.

old school vet
Killer
Killer

Post by old school vet » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:58 pm

Hey tuneylune, good review for a great album. Sadly,like you, my ears and eyes are on the wain, comes with old age i'm affraid,but it's been good jogging along with history makers...

Also agree with frontrowjunkie...

I'm sorry, but I can't understand Diane D's comment at all- worst album he ever did????

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:49 pm

Disappointing, it was a great opportunity to grab the attention of rock fans. I like several songs (Caffeine, Last Man on Earth, When Hell Comes Home) but the overall nightmare theme is undermined by several songs like Ghouls Gone Wild and Something to Remember Me By to name a few.

I dislike the album cover art, harkens back to the Constrictor era and was not a good way to entice on-the-fence rock fans to purchase.

This album made we want a band album even more but who knows if it'll happen. Not wild to hear about writing songs with Johnny Depp, this is a showy move like working with Kesha but not one that makes me excited about the music.

I wasn't wild about Spider either making two straight "concept" albums I didn't like where I usually like his concept albums the best.

guilty65
Killer
Killer

Post by guilty65 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:43 am

I have to agree... I have been a fan since 1970 and I too think that this is his worst effort. IMO. I was expecting something else when I found out Ezrin was on board. Oh well... I am still huge fan. That will never cease. :)

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:32 pm

I like the album but IMO it would have been better with a darker cover, removal of GGW and DBBF.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:10 pm

Don't get me started on reviews of this album....in fact, you can look up all the positive reviews of this album right here......which is to say, Diane D.'s point of view is squashed....in fact, ALL negative views of this album are mashed into itty bitty bits by the public outpouring of love for W2MN.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:12 pm

very solid album in general, a couple of dud tracks

100% better than ACAS

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:46 pm

GailsFriend wrote:Don't get me started on reviews of this album....in fact, you can look up all the positive reviews of this album right here......which is to say, Diane D.'s point of view is squashed....in fact, ALL negative views of this album are mashed into itty bitty bits by the public outpouring of love for W2MN.
Mashed squash....Mmmmm.... :evil:
Gail, you are entitled to your own opinion, and all the fans and the public also, and I am entitled to my own.
[

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:59 pm

Sadly, Diane, you reside on the island of "I hate W2MN" in isolation with a mirror to comfort you....while the overstuffed cruise line of "I love W2MN" sails on by......so sad.....very very sad. Tissue anyone?

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:11 pm

GailsFriend wrote:Sadly, Diane, you reside on the island of "I hate W2MN" in isolation with a mirror to comfort you....while the overstuffed cruise line of "I love W2MN" sails on by......so sad.....very very sad. Tissue anyone?
That's very poetic, Gail, but I don't understand a word you're saying.
[

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:35 pm

Interesting review tuneylune especially your comment re DBBF could have belonged on Goes to Hell. On reflection, Alice's search for a seventies sound seemed to have resulted in part of the album seeming like a follow up to Welcome TMN and one or two curios that could have fitted onto ACGTH or even Lace and Whiskey. Although I have slightly cooled on the album still like most of it and if i don't play DBBF and GGW but add Under the Bed its to me an entertaining album...like the old type of album you don't need a video to explain.
When Hell Come Home is very dark and his voice takes ona Bolanesque quality...prefer this dark quality to the slightly corny casey jones beginning of train trip song..entertaining album imo.
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:09 am

Diane D. wrote:In my opinion, the WORST album he ever did!
I take it the "D." in your name stands for Downer...

I thought it was a very good album with some great moments. Personally, I could do without the whole "Ghouls/Disco/Remember" section though.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:54 am

Yeah Devon, I forgot about Remember-but wouldnt miss it.

Seriously
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Seriously » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:56 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:very solid album in general, a couple of dud tracks

100% better than ACAS
I like them both –different times different moods.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:16 pm

I like both albums even although for me there are one or two not so great tracks or features on each...but Alice plays around a lot with ideas so I know there always be a lot i like...great guitars,lyrics, humour, darkness etc...could there be a Welcome 3?

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:05 pm

Alce has done so many albums that it is not surprising that preferences break through. I think it was an excellent album and am surprised by Diane D comments although like I said, there are enough albums and styles out there to keep everybody happy.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:16 am

I completely agree with Railwayman....but, if you are on the "runaway train" with Alice...you are going to go through some different styles.

try this playlist out:

1) Beautiful Flyaway
2) Living
3) Long Way To Go
4) Dead Babies
5) Blue Turk
6) Grande Finale
7) Generation Landslide
8) Mary Ann
9) Crazy Little Child
10) Some Folks
11) Always Chasing Rainbows
12) Ubangi Stomp
13) You and Me
14) Inmates (We're All Crazy)
15) Leather Boots
16) Prettiest Cop On The Block
17) I'm Alive (That Was The Day My Dead Pet Returned To Save My Life)
18) Former Lee Warmer
19) Life And Death Of The Party
20) Roses On White Lace
21) I'm Your Gun
22) Might As Well Live On Mars
23) Bad Place Alone
24) Sanctuary
25) It's Much Too Late
26) Be With You Awhile
27) This House Is Haunted
28) Steal That Car
29) Wake The Dead
30) Last Man On Earth

Now this list can have very many variables to make the same point.

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:32 pm

Easily my favorite Alice Cooper album of this century. It has the same spirit of adventure as those 70's albums. It still sounds fresh to me unlike Along Came a Spider. Great lyrics, great production and a top notch musicianship. I was suprised to see that What Baby Wants went so well to Alice Cooper audience. To me it is the worst thing on Welcome 2 My Nightmare. In fact I absolutely hate that songs. But overall despite a couple of bad songs the album was sparkling musical brilliance.

Welcome 2 My Nightmare is in some ways like Alice Cooper's stylistically varied career put on one album, certainly the album that is closest to achieving it. And the fact there were even musicians throughout his career supports this view.