The Alice Cooper album of the Day:WELCOME 2 MY NIGHTMARE

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Re: The Alice Cooper album of the Day:WELCOME 2 MY NIGHTMARE

Post by I'm Pain » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:21 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Well, certainly not to the dead....

In case you don’t know, Alice isn’t really a necrophiliac, so it isn't a problem.
I'm sorry if I've offended you. I'll just join in with the ass kissing from now on.. How awful of me to have an honest negative opinion and express it..

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:44 pm

>I'm sorry if I've offended you.

Stop being a martyr - no offence has been taken.

> I'll just join in with the ass kissing from now on..

Is that the best you can do?

>How awful of me to have an honest negative opinion and express it..

I didn't say it was "awful" "to have an honest negative opinion", so you can end the self - pity. Assuming you like "I Love The Dead" which is also a "silly" song albeit a classic work of genius (or any number of other songs as GNDM pointed out), then your opinion of "Ghouls Gone Wild" and "Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever" isn't really valid unless you can find a diiferent reason for not liking those songs other than the fact that you find them "sily".

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:13 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>I'm sorry if I've offended you.

Stop being a martyr - no offence has been taken.

> I'll just join in with the ass kissing from now on..

Is that the best you can do?

>How awful of me to have an honest negative opinion and express it..

I didn't say it was "awful" "to have an honest negative opinion", so you can end the self - pity. Assuming you like "I Love The Dead" which is also a "silly" song albeit a classic work of genius (or any number of other songs as GNDM pointed out), then your opinion of "Ghouls Gone Wild" and "Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever" isn't really valid unless you can find a diiferent reason for not liking those songs other than the fact that you find them "sily".
Fair enough. I'll shoot a reply to this later - in order to make my opinion valid. But I really don't want to - you know, have to state how I Love the Dead is different in humor then Ghouls gone wild. It's kind of obvious. One you could hear on the Dr. Demento show right after a Weird Al Yankovic song. The other you wont.

ReGorLaTroy
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by ReGorLaTroy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:35 pm

There was a 25 minute interview track included with the Itunes version when "Welcome 2 My Nightmare" was first released.

It was entitled, "How They Came to Be" where Alice discussed the album, track by track.

It really put the songs and reasons for them being on the album in perspective.

Songs like "Ghouls Gone Wild" and "Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever" make perfect sense in context of the interview.

Apart from the interview they are just great fun.

Would they fit in with "Brutal Planet", Along Came A Spider", or "Trash"?

Defintely not, but then again, they weren't intended to.

When people got to the end of "Billion Dollar Babies" and heard the song, "Mary Ann" I'm sure many of the listeners were scratching their heads as well.
"I'm a gambler, and I'm a runner..."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:03 pm

>But I really don't want to

You are under no obligation, but dumb stuff like that does tend to get noticed.

>- you know, have to state how I Love the Dead is different in humor then Ghouls gone wild. It's kind of obvious.

How?

>One you could hear on the Dr. Demento show right after a Weird Al Yankovic song. The other you wont.

Who says?

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:27 pm

Hi ''I'm Pain'',

Question for you. You said that you didn't like this album, right?
Would you tell Alice, in person, in his own face, like in a VIP, Meet and Greet, that you don't like his album? Would you have the guts to do it? Would you explain to him which songs you liked and which songs you didn't like? I know that it's not everybody that can afford a Meet and Greet, but if you can,I think that it will be better to do that, than to rant about it on this Forum or on social networks, and waiting for the advice of therapist Andy, here. As for me, this album is something to forgive and forget. Good luck to you, ''I'm Pain''.
[

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:10 pm

Alice hates 'The Alice Cooper Show' and is very open about that (apparently). I know W2MN is a studio album but I'm sure he wouldn't take offence to constructive criticism from a fan. I also don't think he'd lose any sleep over it.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:45 pm

>You said that you didn't like this album, right?
Would you tell Alice, in person, in his own face, like in a VIP, Meet and Greet, that you don't like his album? Would you have the guts to do it? Would you explain to him which songs you liked and which songs you didn't like?

In his defence, none of those are fair questions. I have no problem with him not liking the two songs he mentioned - it's just that his
reason seems "silly" (and I chose that word with some irony).

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:19 pm

Some of this thread makes strange reading..Andy as a therapist mentioned earlier by someone (not Andy)-don't go there Andy, you have to be politically correct.Also there are probably hundreds of people on this site who would have the guts to tell Alice they don't like one of his albums...but if they had paid for VIP,they would be too busy asking him about stuff they like or his relationship with Michael Bruce or whoever.. I don't think Alice is to be feared in person..he doesn't love the dead or sleep in a coffin- the album is diverse and entertaining and as has been pointed by Andy he isn't trying to be a frightening figure..he is entertaining and so for me is this album...
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:31 pm

WHY would anyone spend the time/money, to attend an Alice Cooper concert, go back stage (in some sort of meet and great) and tell him you think a song(s) or an album (s) stinks? If Alice was my brother, son, close friend, or financial client....I MIGHT bring that type of stuff up - but only in a NON-PUBLIC situation. A fan doing that, in a casual meeting, would be crude and boorish.

I was going to add - "How would you feel if Alice came to your place of business and, in front of others, berated your work?" But I am sure a few of you would think that would be the greatest event of your life.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:21 pm

Can we stop flogging the dead horse now? May we continue on our like/dislike of the Lp? If a characterization of a song as silly isn't enough detail, can we let sleeping dogs lie? Our descriptions of how we feel about an Lp (or song) are our own. I like the album - it has some very interesting ideas and I enjoy the collaborations with other artists. As a concept album, it carries itself well. But that said, I think "Dirty Diamonds" rocks harder (pun intended) :mb:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:24 pm

Diane D. wrote:Hi ''I'm Pain'',

Would you tell Alice, in person, in his own face, like in a VIP, Meet and Greet, that you don't like his album? Would you have the guts to do it? Would you explain to him which songs you liked and which songs you didn't like? I know that it's not everybody that can afford a Meet and Greet, but if you can,I think that it will be better to do that, than to rant about it on this Forum or on social networks, and waiting for the advice of therapist Andy, here. As for me, this album is something to forgive and forget. Good luck to you, ''I'm Pain''.
Oh... I'm Pain, if you meet Alice, could you ask him if he prefer his coffee with cream or with some Coffee Mate...
[

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:48 am

Diane D. wrote:Hi ''I'm Pain'',

What an abysmal attitude. Someone says they don't like W2MN and it comes down to "wouldya say that to Alice's face?" If I ever spent the money and had a chance for a face to face with AC, I'm not going to use that opportunity to lay out what I don't like about him or his music. I would keep it light, frindly and positive. What kind of idiot would use that time to be negative/critical or confrontational?

W2MN stinks on ice. A couple of interesting tracks but not worthy as a companion piece to the original. The sequal thing was a gimmick - nothing more. Ditto for Ezrin lending his name to the project. All you folks who bought the various versions/formats were played. I extracted the few decent tunes on it along with the few decent tracks on the last three albums and made a compilation disc for the car. That will be the only thing that I'll ever spin.

If Alice ever wanted to come on this board and discuss the merits of W2MN or any other album - I would gladly exchange ideas and pull no punches (but still be respectful). But pay money for a rare opportunity to meet Alice - then just lay into him? Ridiculous.

There are sicko-phants here that wouldn't know a bad AC album if came up and slapped them.

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:30 am

Hmmm.. Not sure where to begin at this point. First, since I'm paying my therapist - Hey Andy! I'm going to be real quick here - this is getting a bit overdone. I do NOT feel that the song "I Love the Dead" is in any way, shape, or form - silly. It's easily a perfect example of what Alice does best and a damn clever song in terms of "humor". The lyrics and delivery are pretty straightforward creepy and distressingly taboo. The song itself would be uncomfortable to listen to if it were not for the catchy sing along chorus which lets you know that it's really all tongue in cheek. The coda itself where Alice whispers "nothing" still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. The humor (chorus) acts as a pressure valve and keeps you from being completely repulsed by the subject matter. It's brilliant. It's a smart use of humor. You can't even put a song like "Ghouls Gone Wild" in the same category. When I hear "I Love the Dead" I think of the old 1970's Hammer horror films - elegant and spooky. "Ghouls Gone Wild" is pure Disney - and aimed at that audience.

There lies my problem with the new nightmare. Alice's older material is just so much more mature then his new music. I respect the man - don't get me wrong. If I were to meet him, I would politely let him know that I'm a fan. To engage in a rant would just be insane. I'd rather thank him for all the great music over the years.

Yeah, I dislike the new album. I don't think I've ever been more disappointed in an AC album in my life, and I don't think it's wrong to say that. If you find my opinion valid or not Andy - it doesn't matter. It's none of my personal concern if you like lace & Whiskey or Goes to Hell. I do, however, find it refreshing to read the opinions of those who differ from mine.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:01 pm

>you have to be politically correct.

I don't understand what this is in reference to.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:04 pm

>Ditto for Ezrin lending his name to the project.

He did a lot more than that! It was no "gimmick".

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:24 pm

>I'm going to be real quick here - this is getting a bit overdone.

Well, sometimes it takes some people a little longer to explain what they mean than one would expect.

> "Ghouls Gone Wild" is pure Disney - and aimed at that audience.

No, you've totally misunderstood the intent - it's a pastiche bordering on a parody. You wrote "When I hear "I Love the Dead" I think of the old 1970's Hammer horror films" which is accurate but that song also operates within that sphere of tongue - in - cheek pastiche just as "Ghouls Gone Wild" does. If you don't see that, that's fine too, but if you had said you don't like the song because you don't like the lyrics, the melody, the chords, the verses, the choruses, the performance, the arrangement or the production, that would be easier to understand. It would be down to your personal taste. Something being "silly" seems to be just bizarre reason. There are plenty of things that are "silly". That doesn't mean they are bad.

>There lies my problem with the new nightmare. Alice's older material is just so much more mature then his new music.

I don't know if I would call songs like "School's Out", "You Drive Me Nervous", "I Love The Dead", "Muscle Of Love", "Working Up A Sweat" or "Cold Ethyl", "mature". I think a song like "I Am Made Of You" is far more "mature" but that doesn't make it a better song than for example, "School's Out".

>and I don't think it's wrong to say that.

Neither do I. That wasn't what I was questioning.

> I do, however, find it refreshing to read the opinions of those who differ from mine.

I don't think I like your inference. As I've said a thousand times, I rarely comment on threads that concentrate on personal taste because other people's personal taste isn't of interest to me and it's only because your comment seemed to go beyond that which led to my response.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:03 pm

Using the terms "Silly", "Disney", "gimmick", "horrible", "great", etc.....are all "valid" descriptions of Alice's music because....ART IS SUBJECTIVE. Whether we agree amongst each other is entirely different....and that is what Alice has been doing for his entire career.....creating a discussion of the "proper" use of humor/taste through music and performance. Alice is just as "silly" as he has always been: using giant toothbrushes to chase rotten teeth, and having sex with dead people, performing with the muppets and singing dancey disco, honky country, jerky new wave, sugary pop, syrupy ballads AND blistering rock with flair (and a bulging red codpiece) while using a sword. All these qualities are why FRANK ZAPPA signed Alice Cooper in the first place......ALICE COOPER IS SUPPOSED TO BE UPSETTING....HE HAS A JOB TO DO, AND DOES IT VERY WELL.

If Alice were reading this discussion on his computer, he would be planning the next album and how to infuriate everyone all over again while fiendishly laughing...just like he has been doing for the 45 years. Is he gonna change? Why start now?

Being a "proper" Alice Cooper fan means that you have read the "terms of agreement" above and will follow them for the rest of your life. Understand?

:teach:
Last edited by GailsFriend on Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:06 pm

Now that you all have been properly taught.....you may now leave this discussion.....SCHOOL'S OUT! :clap:
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:38 pm

Thank You GailsFriend, my point exactly - except much more eloquent.
"If that don't suit ya, that's a drag."
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...