The Alice Cooper album of the Day: HEY STOOPID

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

The Alice Cooper album of the Day: HEY STOOPID

Post by tuneylune » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:33 pm

While this has many of the elements from the successful yet tepid TRASH involving sex and love ("Snakebite", "Dirty Drams", "Dangerous Tonight" and "Little by Little" are all "Poison" wanna-bes that don't do anything for me), HEY STOOPID has a more mature outlook to it with several songs exploring the painful side of love and the consequences that can occur over breakups and/or betrayal.
"Love's A Loaded Gun", "Might as well be on Mars" (such mournful vocals towards the end and good to see a Dick Wagner co-write), "Die For You" (good vocal here even if it reminds me a lot of the bland ballads Whitesnake were churning out around this time) and "Burning our Bed" are all quite edgy and I find them my favorites on the album, especially "Bed" although I think it would have been better to let the song end after the moment of silence from the final guitar strum when Alice intones "I'm free...but I'm alone" instead of coming back in.
The title track is also great, especially coming out after a rash of suicides by young people and Politicians/Religious figures blaming music (and especially blaming Ozzy Osbourne and Judas Priest :bam: of all bands) and it was cool of someone of that peerage urging young people NOT to do themselves in over something temporary and putting Ozzy on background vocals to boot. Also, remember Alice had been blamed for a 13 year old hanging himself back in 1974 (I think), so he could probably relate to what Ozzy and Priest were going through.
"Hurricane Years" has great energy and a neat riff, but wonder if the "Spider" could be a precursor to ALONG CAME A SPIDER. "Wind Up Toy" has quite an evil vibe to it (could almost be a companion piece to "Dwight Frye"), but loses momentum by going on far too long and way too many back up singers-indeed, I can't believe Alice and Peter Collins (who does a decent job producing) felt all those "Gangs" were needed. Always liked "Feed My Frankenstein" even if I'm sick of it by now.
So, while this was eclipsed by the awesome THE LAST TEMPTATION a few years later, find this better than TRASH, although all the "Guest Stars" were really not needed and wish they could have used the original cover. Lastly, although I like his version of Hendrix's "Fire" (regulated to a B-side!), I think it would have been neat for Alice to continue the theme of painful love and close the album with a cover of B.J. Thomas's "Hey, Won't You play (Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song)". ***
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: The Alice Cooper album of the Day: HEY STOOPID

Post by Diane D. » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:35 pm

One of my favorite.
[

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:25 pm

His best album.
All Of My Life Was A Laugh And A Joke
And A Drink And A Smoke
And Then I Passed Out On The Floor

ReGorLaTroy
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by ReGorLaTroy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:35 am

Great album!

I have been on an Alice Cooper marathon, listening to every album (studio, live & compilation) in chronological order.

I just finished "Hey Stoopid" and was reminded, yet again, of just how much I love this album.

~Cheers, RGLT :8):
"I'm a gambler, and I'm a runner..."

old school vet
Killer
Killer

Post by old school vet » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:23 pm

This is well timed. I have had this on in my works van for the past three days. Another Cooper classic...

guilty65
Killer
Killer

Post by guilty65 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:25 am

Love this cd....Classick :8):

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:01 pm

Artistisly better then Trash. Should have sold better here in the states..

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:50 pm

Diverse metalpop album...hurricane years almost seems too perfect guitar wise...as if computer generated...really good album..to me it built on trash and in a sense the next two albums TLT AND Brutal Planet built on this. :rock:
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

ReGorLaTroy
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by ReGorLaTroy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:51 pm

recoop wrote:to me it built on trash and in a sense the next two albums TLT AND Brutal Planet built on this. :rock:
Very well put...it really does seem like those albums just build and build in quality.
"I'm a gambler, and I'm a runner..."

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:53 am

To me, this album is far superior to the Trash album. I have often wondered if the Operation:Rock n Roll Tour had been more successful, if this would have been a huge hit? I recall it sold something like 350,000 copies so it didn't do that badly.

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:15 am

I love Hey Stoopid. Dangerous Tonight and Might As Well Be On Mars are amazing songs and I would love it if he would perform them live
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:38 am

This the one that really got me in to Alice. Better than Trash and still sounds as fresh today as it did over 20 years ago!
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:24 am

Brilliant album, would love to see him make another straight forward rock album for his next album.