Alice solo tracks that are now classics in your opinion

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice solo tracks that are now classics in your opinion

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:05 pm

Poison is next to impossible to pull off well live. The studio version has so many layers of vocals and guitars that just can't be replicated in a live environment.

Plus Alice seems to sing the harmony on the chorus rather than the lead vocal line which i can only assume is because he can no longer hit the right notes....or it could be a stamina thing.

House of Fire suffered from the same problem.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:08 am

always some classic tracks on everything post original band with all of Welcome To My Nightmare & From The Inside being classic from start to finish.

Last album the best since the 1970s because it had a 1970s feel to it which for me was the Golden Age Of Rock n Roll as Ian Hunter of Mott The Hoople once sang.

Some would say the 1960s Beatles and all but I think albums like Billion Dollar Babies and Aladdin Sane match Sgt Pepper & Abbey Road.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:32 pm

Great statement Steven re 70s being the "golden age of rock n roll" and I love Mott...my fave album ever is BDB( hav u got a tabbed outro for sickthings yet for me lol)..Aladdin Sane vg imo..sgt peppers yep.. there's good bits to Abbey Road but there, for me, is something very wrong with this album...like small bits have been patched together..haven't re researched but carry that weight,came in the bathroom window or whatver...a magnificent band with signs of struggling to me..I'd look at Walls and Bridges-Lennon instead which seems to have inspired some music on Welcome...FTI way underrated- as you are a pucker musician (unlike a strummer like me ) I bet you appreciate FTI way more than most...thats my slightly incoherent ramble over..for now
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:23 am

recoop wrote:Great statement Steven re 70s being the "golden age of rock n roll" and I love Mott...my fave album ever is BDB( hav u got a tabbed outro for sickthings yet for me lol)..Aladdin Sane vg imo..sgt peppers yep.. there's good bits to Abbey Road but there, for me, is something very wrong with this album...like small bits have been patched together..haven't re researched but carry that weight,came in the bathroom window or whatver...a magnificent band with signs of struggling to me..I'd look at Walls and Bridges-Lennon instead which seems to have inspired some music on Welcome...FTI way underrated- as you are a pucker musician (unlike a strummer like me ) I bet you appreciate FTI way more than most...thats my slightly incoherent ramble over..for now
Don't get me wrong I think Abbey Road is a masterpiece my favourite Beatles album (side 2 especially) and I was awestruck being in both studios 1 & 2 there last month where they recorded all that musical history, but I'd put albums like Billion Dollar Babies & Aladdin Sane up in that league as musical masterpieces.

It saddens me that the greatness of those classic Alice Cooper albums gets lost in the image, I love the image but I love the music more.

Re learning guitar solos like Sickthings, one of the worse things you can do as a musician is get too reliant on tablature even written music if it means not developing your ability to play by ear.
The best thing I did was to employ the old Jeff Beck trick of slowing down the solo. The old record players had a 16rpm setting so you could put on an album and slow it down to half speed and in the same key. The thrill I got all those years ago learning Jimmy Page Stairway To Heaven solo on my own by using that technique helped develop my ears so that would be my advice. Half speed dubbing tape decks can do it now, you can even buy gadgets that will slow down note by note and in the same octave.

Nothing wrong with being a strummer as long as you enjoy it.
As Pete Townshend said on the guitar doc 'It Was In Tune When I Bought It,' "It's great that there are people like Jeff Beck and John Williams that can do amazing things with the instrument, but they will never sneer at someone that only knows three chords but plays them with conviction"
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV