Seven Degrees of Alice Cooper

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Seven Degrees of Alice Cooper

Post by tuneylune » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:59 pm

Had a couple of days off :) and decided to dip into some DVDs not watched in awhile and check out newest NETFLIX delivery. Well, to misquote Mojo Nixon, "ALICE is everywhere!". Three films, picked at random about some favorite groups and there is an Alice connection in all three. Not since the day I went to my favorite film rental store has this happened-rented out LOOK WHO'S TALKING 3, SHOWGIRLS and THE USUAL SUSPECTS and all had the line "Elvis has left the Building!"
1-END OF THE CENTURY-Excellent documentary about The Ramones which has "I'm Eighteen" on the soundtrack and Joey mentions how much he liked Alice (Remember his cool plug in LACOAC?). Where any of you in the UK lucky or old enough to have attended the July 4, 1976 Roundhouse gig?
2-EDGEPLAY-Despite some annoying camera work and contradictions, this is a good doc on The Runaways, who I loved so much back in High School, especially the original line up. Oddly, Joan Jett (who has a credit on "House Of Fire" from TRASH) did not participate and she definitely the prime mover for them. Toby Mamis (now part of Alice's management team) has a couple of aural interviews after he took over management from the loathsome, devious and abusive Kim Fowley (who has a writing credit for "Escape" from WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE).
3-NEW YORK DOLL- Very good film on the New York Dolls and mainly on their original bassist, Arthur "KIller" Kane. In a "Blink and You'll Miss It" moment, there is a Glitter Rock Family Tree with Alice Cooper prominently listed.
While I certainly enjoyed all of these, found them all somewhat sad. The Ramones were such innovators and never made any real money despite all the critical acclaim. A real shame as the first four studio albums and IT'S ALIVE are first rate.
I remember The Runaways being slammed so much by critics back when they were active and I found Sandy West's interviews almost heartbreaking as she so desperately wanted to just reform and play her drums.
This may be just my imagination at work, but found Arthur Kane very much like Glen Buxton; both kind of quiet and in the background sort of players, seemingly nice guys and both their lives ravaged by the end of their bands and alcohol/tobacco. Although Glen did not, as far as I know, end up as destitute as Arthur, sure some big lifestyle changes had to be made. The Mormon Church helped Arthur clean up his act and amazingly after many years, he got an invite to appear with The Dolls at a festival in London sponsored by Morrissey of The Smiths. He accepted the offer, mended fences with the rest of the Dolls, played well enough at the gig and seemed happy as could be with the affection and attention and in a cruel twist of fate, died of leukemia barely three weeks after the show, only a couple of hours after the diagnosis. This reminded me so much of Glen playing the Area 51 show and dying at the end of the week. Watching NYD and the Area 51 show, both Arthur and Glen look very fragile and both were only 49 or so when they passed.
All of these are well worth checking out and lastly, Morrissey in a interview mentions how many people, at age 13, discover a band and the devotion lasts forever. For him, it's The Dolls and for me, it's Alice Cooper. buying my first album only a few weeks after turning 13 and really finding nothing as good since.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Seven Degrees of Alice Cooper

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:41 pm

New York Doll is a very good documentary and don't forget to catch the scene when D. Johansen shows up for rehearsal. :8):