Alice compared to Mick Jagger

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Alice compared to Mick Jagger

Post by recoop » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:24 pm

Bit of a reductionist title..been watching a lot of Stones stuff on bbc...red button interview, crossfire hurricane, rocknroll circus...now i was a stones/jagger fan before I discovered Alice...but perhaps didnt realise the extent to which Mick/Stones played the bad guy deliberately to the Beatles good guys... If there is a frontman as good as Alice for me it is Mick J. Now what does Mick have going for him compared to Alice imo...Mick is a wilder/more fluent mover/dancer...he is not constrained by a single character...Mick talKed about how he is one character on Jumpin Jack F and one on Sympathy...so for me whilst Alice's show at times is helped by being one character, it can be hindered by this...both are top league entertainers so for me its never a question of one being better than the other..they are different...just like Floyd/Zep are different..its the difference between Mick/Alice that interests me...and the similarities...Mick was the major rebel before Alice and Mick admits to a degree of acting...its loose i know bit since its all only r'n'r what do others think
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice compared to Mick Jagger

Post by tuneylune » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:38 pm

Good frontman and can write incredible lyrics, but also incredibly sloppy shows and Alice has him beat for activity: at least he puts out new material instead of endless best ofs. Also, Alice is a lot closer to home and hearth than Sir Mick.
All minor quibbles, Jagger is an ultimate rock star and some timeless classics. My top five at this moment:
"Honkey Tonk Women", "Gimme Shelter", "Rocks Off", "Hand Of Fate" and, oddly, "Emotional Rescue"
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:30 pm

Mick is a great showman. The Stones are one of my favourite rock bands. But like Tuneylune said, they rarely put out anything new.
All Of My Life Was A Laugh And A Joke
And A Drink And A Smoke
And Then I Passed Out On The Floor

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:13 am

Mick is one of the greatest frontman of all time and the Stones are one of the greatest bands as well. I really wish I could have been to some of the shows when Alice was opening.
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:51 am

Love the Stones (hence my name here), been to 100 shows since the 60s, and Mick is the prototype that many including Alice were heavily influenced by, but Coop showed him up at Churchill Downs without all the props and just focusing on a blazing musical set.

The Stones created and defined the rock star lifestyle for decades while Coop played the rock star part for a while before flaming out. Coop has the charisma and ability to control and audience like Jagger, but never had a Keef (or Joe Perry) to complete the dynamic on stage and to rely on as a consistent co-songwriter.

The Stones and Coop both rely on their war horses live, but the Stones are much more willing to play newer songs and rotate at least a few songs every night. The Stones are but a shadow of what they once were, but Coop is better now than in the day, IMHO. Coop continues to perform because he loves what he does, the Stones are whores and proud of it. $2500 VIPs for the NJ shows? Thank you, but for that money I could attend an entire Coop tour!
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:19 pm

Very intersesting post Jumping Jack...but Alice did have Michael Bruce in the songwriting department(reappeared on When Hell Comes Home).. Athough they may not have appeared to be totally comfortable with each other at times, that is also true for Mick and Keef

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:55 pm

>but Alice did have Michael Bruce in the songwriting department

That wasn't a traditional partnership, though.

>(reappeared on When Hell Comes Home)

That already existed, albeit in a different form.

Hank
Trash
Trash

Post by Hank » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:12 am

Desperado22 wrote:Mick is a great showman. The Stones are one of my favourite rock bands. But like Tuneylune said, they rarely put out anything new.
In all fairness to Sir Mick, he is more or less required to record and tour with the Stones; some of his outside projects have been interesting, but he has not been able to accomplish much commercially without Keith, Charlie, and Ronnie on stage with him. These days, Alice would seem to have a lot more freedom than Mick, if only in terms of being able to call the shots in terms of tours, albums, musicians, songs, etc., and avoid the bureaucracy created other band members with veto power. I would guess that this might be one problem that a tour with the Dunaway/Smith/Bruce lineup may have.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:34 pm

I agree with you Andy that Alice/M Bruce not a traditional song writing partnership but Alice perhaps had at least someone to access in the songwriting department that could rival the output of Mick/Keef..he maybe decided that the well was dry from MB...perhaps there are other MB tracks that Alice could dip into/alter the lyrics etc...and touching on what Hank said, Alice, perhaps, has had more freedom than Mick to do what he wants without a democratic band set up..he can do moslty what he likes musically/theatrically and keep financially healthy/enjoy what he is doing

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:06 pm

>but Alice perhaps had at least someone to access in the songwriting department that could rival the output of Mick/Keef.

I don't think that's how they worked.

>perhaps there are other MB tracks that Alice could dip into/alter the lyrics etc...

Well, Dennis Dunaway has been quite the prolific writer over the years it seems as well.

>and touching on what Hank said, Alice, perhaps, has had more freedom than Mick to do what he wants without a democratic band set up..

That is absolutely true.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:49 am

Please don't compare Mick Jagger to Aice Cooper; the former moves, sings and look like a baboon, the latter is the consummate showman with a stage presence unrivalled.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Now, Gunner...don't hold back...tell us how you REALLY feel! :laugh: :laugh: this sounds almost like my wife. Likes Alice (not to my extent of course), but DETESTS Jagger and even committed Anglophile she is, she was astonished/disgusted when Mick was knighted :bam:
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:02 am

tuneylune! Your missus is a woman after my own heart. :laugh:

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:36 pm

Sorry, but in the general public's mind - Mick Jagger > Alice Cooper. You can pick it apart all you want....but Jagger is the bigger icon here.

old school vet
Killer
Killer

Post by old school vet » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:06 pm

GNDM WROTE - Sorry, but in the general public's mind - Mick Jagger > Alice Cooper. You can pick it apart all you want....but Jagger is the bigger icon here

Not in my eyes......Arise Sir Alice..........

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:25 pm

Not in my eyes......Arise Sir Alice..........
My point was that TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC, Alice is not the rock icon that Jagger is. Naturally, people on this particular site will say otherwise. Alice, and other performers, will always fare better in smaller, niche, markets. Thus, Steven Tyler is greater than Alice/Jagger on a board dedicated to Aerosmith. People tend to vote on these things along lines that massage their ego.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:42 pm

I personally think Jagger is STILL an amazing frontman

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:15 am

Not a huge fan of Jagger, but I think it is undoubtedly true that he is greater frontman than Alice. Of course, I think almost tons of people are (Roth, Stanley, Coverdale, etc.). Rortunately, Alice hardly ever takes on this role, only in those one-off gigs (Pudding, 100 club, etc.).
Because Alice is usually dedicated to staying in character, he is a consumate showman, which I think is much harder to pull off than being a frontman.

dom dome
Trash
Trash

Post by dom dome » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:01 am

recoop wrote:what does Mick have going for him compared to Alice imo...Mick is a wilder/more fluent mover/dancer..they are different...just like Floyd/Zep are different..its the difference between Mick/Alice that interests me...and the similarities...Mick was the major rebel before Alice and Mick admits to a degree of acting..
never got into the stones. lets just say Alice boosted up the rebel and creepiness in rock by 100 times in early 70's. Said by Alice himself, Alice Cooper was the attack to the love generation of the 70's. When I think of Jagger I think of someone who dances and runs around on stage non-stop like hes getting a workout as he sings about all the women he scores with. Cooper stands still on stage(notice only the coolest bands stand still while playing on stage) and sings in a sinister aggressive vocal to the coolest of shock rock. Cooper wins.
"when you see me with a smile on my face,then you'll know i'm a mental case"

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:56 pm

but Jagger is the bigger icon here.
a) So what? Doesn't change my view.
b) Is he?? I'm not sure that's true nowadays actually.
People tend to vote on these things along lines that massage their ego.
How does having bias massage one's ego?

Anyway, what are you doing on this site, you don't care for Alice, you only like Glen, Michael, Dennis and Neal (as your ID suggests) and it is pretty clear.