The Alice Cooper album of the Day: FROM THE INSIDE

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

The Alice Cooper album of the Day: FROM THE INSIDE

Post by tuneylune » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:28 am

Original 1982 review:High hopes were had for this,especially after THE ALICE COOPER SHOW. Considering Bernie Taupin (who wrote the lyrics for Elton John's excellent efforts) was helping Alice with the lyrics. Well, two and two will get you three. A big improvement was shown, especially on "Wish I was Born in Beverly Hills", the title track and "Inmates (We're All Crazy ), although "For Veronica's Sake, "Millie and Billie" and "The Quiet Room" all follow the dismal trail of dogs with Alice's name on their collars.
The standout here is "How You Gonna See Me Now" which details Alice seeing his wife after his release. It is a very moving and well done song that sort of makes up for the other crap. Overall, the album might have been better if Alice had treated the subject not so seriously, but with a Grand Guignol touch, which is what we would expect him to do. ***
Now: Still another platter from Alice that truly matters. I certainly liked this well enough at 17 (although wanted to rock more), but this has grown to mean more as I've grown older for the following reasons. I enjoyed my drinking , but did a few stupid things that I would not have done had I been sober. Also, had family members and some friends who had deeper issues with alcohol, which meant the demise of a couple friendships. Also, I was worried about since I shared DNA with the family members who were having trouble,it might effect me as well. Didn't like the way it was making me feel and was losing the taste for it. Had my last beer on September 7, 19998 (did not even finish it ) and don't miss it at all (if only I had such will power with sweets ;).
Also, had depression for most of my life and it was really starting to effect me when I turned 30, but decided to deal with it like a 'man" and was worried what family/ friends might say. When I finally started to see a doctor 12 years later, I was so miserable and desperate I didn't care what ANYONE thought. My doctor looked like an older version of Phoebe from FRIENDS, but she was great and after five years of therapy, can appreciate the joys life brings, as well as the occasional roadblocks.
Good playing on the album and excellent production by David Foster, although I think the album would work better with different sequencing. I realize they had limited space with an album, but with the wonders of CD and my finger, I think the whole story would work better like so:
Open up with "From The Inside" as it is the logical beginning of Alice's tale. This is a great song, but think the solo backing vocals aren't really necessary. Follow up with "Serious" and although thee is a "gambler" in the inner sleeve photo, the song also apply's to Alice who certainly laughed, smoked , drank and is a serious card player. Keep "The Quiet Room" (take away the solo backing vocal, please!) and "Nurse Rozetta" as they fit into the story and close the first side with "Inmates" which works so well with the strings and the disjointed vocals throughout -this could also introduce us to the fellow travelers on Alice's journey.
Although "For Veronica's Sake" has great music (does Dick Wagner play on this one-he has a lot of co-writes on here,,which is a good thing), I'm not crazy about it and feel "No Tricks", the B-side of "How You Gonna See Me Now" would fit better as certainly many alcoholics/drug abusers can slip back, lie to themselves and other people and have to try treatment again (for about a year, was a janitor at a Hospital Psych ward and saw quite a few repeat patients and there was a "quiet Room" called an "Isolation Ward" for patients who were posing a threat to others or themselves). "Jacknife Johnny", probably the saddest song on the album could be next -Vietnam Vets, for the most part, got such a raw deal and it's wrenching how Johnny uses all the drugs to cope and getting grief from his friends for falling in love and bringing back "That VC girl". Continue with "Millie and Billie" which has grown on me considerably with it's very creepy story being told by Alice and Marcy Levy's beautiful vocals. As wise sage Desperado 22 pointed out , are the two of them related, like cousins or siblings? (No wonder Millie is fearful of what their children would be) and there's no doubt Millie's husband ,Donald died a horrible death. More good strings and Alice's' end vocal are very effective.
Close the album with "Wish I was Born in Beverly Hills', the rocking song of the young girl with too much money and time on her hands (Hearing this, I was thinking of Lindsay Lohan) and wrap it up with "How You Gonna See Me Now". Alice has been released and feeling better, but such uncertainty he must have felt wondering how things would be between he and Sheryl now that he was sober and this uncertainty is truly felt as the song fades. One of his best songs and brought several tears to my eyes.
Stellar effort and a brave one to boot (Not many rockers were entering rehab at this time). As said, liked it when I got it and after reading a scathing review by Lester Bangs in CIRCUS, I wrote a letter of rebuttal full of four letter words (being cool, you understand) which got published in CIRCUS #215 with Cheryl Ladd and Miss Piggy on the cover (Rock and Roll!) and my own rebuttal from another reader in CIRCUS #218 with Jane Fonda on the cover (More Rock and Roll). *****
"I need everything the world owes me..."

charlie2times
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Re: The Alice Cooper album of the Day: FROM THE INSIDE

Post by charlie2times » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:50 am

1982? i think not ;)

A great album, maybe a bit too polished, but mostly great music and lyrics, and the last of the ggreat album covers.

Nurse Rozetta needs to make a live comeback, as does serious!

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:53 am

See Alice Cooper Album of the Day;PRETTIES FOR YOU why I started with 1982 review first.
You are right about the cover-certainly a great one and I was able to get the one that has the doors on hos face along with all the cool stuff "On the Inside"

charlie2times
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by charlie2times » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:03 pm

I approached the album with trepidation when i leant that Bernie taupin was writing some of the lyrics. Some of the schmaltz he's written for Elton John over the years had been vomit inducing, but on the whole they managed to avoid that.
I've always wondered just how bad Elton must be as a writer to have to get Bernie in?

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:59 pm

This is one of Alice's greatest, lyrically, thematically, musically. Great stories, great art cover, the only song which is slightly weaker is 'for veronica's sake' but it would still take pride of place in most other Alice albums. I would also have like no tricks but not really a place on the album with three other songs of a similar tempo. This is the album I play for non-Alice fans and it has never failed to convert them.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:10 pm

This is for me a one off and the different song tales are entertaining snapshots...loved the guitar attack on Serious and FTI-lyrics on Beverley Hills very entertaining..the album sounds different musically from previous AC efforts..to produce something even slightly related to his stay in hospital was very brave, creative and entertaining...would have liked No Tricks on album...this relates back to the time when people would listen to an album without needing a video to tell the stories- re Bernie Taupin's lyrical input-been discussed before on this site-not sure whether lyrical input was significant or not- but it may have helped Alice start writing again-thank goodness-one of his best solo albums for me along with Welcome and Last Temptation
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Model Citizen
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Model Citizen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:19 am

Easily my favorite post-B$B album & a contender for one of his absolute greatest. I love everything about this album. Though this one seems less a conventional "concept album", I think it is by far more thematically consistent & focused than any Coop concept record. Pure genius.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:49 am

The alternative track sequence suggested would work MUCH MUCH better and have more of a logical AND musical flow.

The album itself? It's a good good effort musically and my only criticism would be that, at the height of KISS popularity, it is not 'competitive', not trying to win back some of his audience maybe, gain a new audience (steal some KISS audience?) and only really appeals to die-hards it would seem. It's barely hard rock really! If you think about the albums his contemporaries were putting out then, it's really light and quite 'laid-back'.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:07 pm

Gunner wrote:The alternative track sequence suggested would work MUCH MUCH better and have more of a logical AND musical flow.

The album itself? It's a good good effort musically and my only criticism would be that, at the height of KISS popularity, it is not 'competitive', not trying to win back some of his audience maybe, gain a new audience (steal some KISS audience?) and only really appeals to die-hards it would seem. It's barely hard rock really! If you think about the albums his contemporaries were putting out then, it's really light and quite 'laid-back'.
Thank you very much, Gunner :) It's amazing what your imagination can come up with :laugh:
At this point, he was constantly mentioning how he could still "blow KISS off the stage".

Seriously
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Seriously » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:20 pm

My all time favourite album if those of you couldn't guess. Hoping this would be remastered at some point with some extra tracks that may still be lying around in some forgotten dusty place.

Looked up Lester Bangs who is mentioned in the opening post by "tuneylune", where I will start a separate thread!

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:23 pm

Brilliant record. I absolutely love it.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:00 pm

Such a fantastic album!!! Next to WTMN, this defines the Alice character, at the same time strips away the layers of the man. One of his more honest and vulnerable albums.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Inmate » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:02 pm

From The Inside is great!
:alice:
"I'm just another case…”

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:49 am

One of the best albums of all time.
Songs like The Quiet Room and Millie And Billie are some of the most beautiful songs that Alice has ever written. I also really love the twisted sadness of Inmates (We're All Crazy).

The rockers are really great too. Wish I Was Born In Beverly Hills and Nurse Rozetta are really funny and work well in a live setting too. Serious is one of my favourite Cooper tunes of all time. I'd like to see that brought back to the live show.

How You Gonna See Me Now is one of his most honest and touching songs. I've always loved this one. The title track is good too, but I think it works better live.

Jackknife Johnny is quite odd but the music is fantastic. For Veronica's Sake is ok but it's not one of the stronger songs on the album.

One of the most touching Cooper albums with moments of kick-ass guitar riffs. One of the best imo.
All Of My Life Was A Laugh And A Joke
And A Drink And A Smoke
And Then I Passed Out On The Floor

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:09 pm

>One of the best imo.

Alice would agree.