Along Came a Spider

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Willtobeweird
Trash
Trash

Along Came a Spider

Post by Willtobeweird » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:25 am

Right people..i just wanted to get all of your true thoughts/opinion son this album?

Because i absolutely LOVE this album, i cant help but think its one of the ost underrated/underappreciated albums in Alice's entire discography, when it came out a few years back i was intrigued about the whole concept and thught it sounded like such a good idea and story as im a fan of concept albums and love how each song is like the chapter of a book to build the final story. and i honestly believe theres some great songs on this album like : I Know where you live, vengeance Is Mine, Catch me If You can, In touch with Your Feminine Side, wrapped in silk,killed by love, the one that got away, salvation, the spider... its got great diversity as its a really nice mix of bluesy rockers and ballads. the themes of each song are brilliant storytelling in general and the way it tied into the artwork and Had the Intro Prolouge and Outro Epilouge as a kinda narration was Genius.

The Lil Mini Along came a spider movie with the medley of the 3 songs was a great tie in t the album aswel. and to my knowledge only Vengeance was ever played Live? (i could be wrong on this though?) so why was this? i cant surely be the only one that plays the hell out of this album and still get a massive kick out of it? Has Alice ever expressed any dislike of it..because i think more of the songs could have been explored in a live setting

so guys thoughts on this album? think the same or have a totally contrasting opinion?

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Along Came a Spider

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:45 am

I too love this album...think the concept is brilliant...Catch Me If You Can is my favorite song....for the record, he did also Feminine Side live as well besides Vengeance...
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:57 am

I think there were some great tracks on it....
Vengeance
Wake the Dead
Feminine Side
Catch Me If you can
The One that got away
I am the Spider

But I also thought there were some weak songs on it...
Wrapped in Silk
Im Hungry
Salvation
Killed by Love

For me the bonus tracks released were better than the weaker songs on the album - this baffles me as to why some of the weaker songs were chosen.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:26 am

Before joining STUK, read it for quite a few years and this was an album that really did not have a middle ground. Either really liked or truly disliked. I think it's pretty good, but could have been better., Check some of the older posts concerning ACAS-interesting reading!
"I need everything the world owes me..."

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:18 pm

Have talked about this previously I guess-think the one that got away is brlliant but horrible subject-Vengeance is a good rocker-I am the spider good...really dislike Salvation.. a few others mediocre..love the Roger Cormanesque packaging..when I play it I usually play about 5 tracks- like the mini videofilm...good idea overall and glad he released it
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:51 pm

I Think we all can say Oh that song is weak! that too that one ois great...But as a songwriter I Can tell you MADE A CONCEPT IS THE HARDEST THING TO DO if you dont want to be repetitive...So there's obviously part where everythings seems weaker because you need to make changes to continue without beeing repetitive...Salvation I Don't like it much but it fits great! in my opinion every songs fits including the Bonus track, they are great and fits to the continuity of the Album

STILL WAITING FOR THE NIGHT SHIFTS!

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:20 pm

don't like it. of all the albums i have, this is still a chore to get through. couple (literally) good songs, beyond that....incredible disappointment.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:51 pm

I think the concept is great but the production killed it for me. It is one of the few Alice albums I rarely listen to.

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:45 pm

Really liked it when it first came out and still like it now. Great album! I only wished he played more from it live. A song like Along Came A Spider would sound great LIVE! in fact the whole concept could have been pretty great on stage.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:12 pm

Got this on tape, sing along when in the car, did anyway, now all i need is a car.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:55 am

I think it's a great album
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:26 am

IMO it's not Alice's worst album, I reserve that for RYFAY but it was the biggest dissapointment. It was his best hyped album until welome 2, the packaging was brilliant, the mini movie was inspired but the production was awful, the songs were, with a couple of exceptions very weak, I hardly ever play this album.

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:38 am

This album took ages and ages to grow on me. I hated most of the tracks until the 5th listen. While I do like the album now, there are some problems I have with it.

It's been said before, but it's way over-produced. It all sounds a bit too polished and all the sound effects on the vocals don't help. This album's problem isn't the songs, it's the fact that that the production is too polished. The production takes away from what should be a gritty, aggressive album. As Alice himself has said before, over-production can take the soul and grittiness out of the music.

That being said, there are many strong tracks here. Salvation, Vengeance Is Mine and The One That Got Away are all decent songs. Your Feminine Side is also one of my favourites. I'm Hungry and Wrapped In Silk are pretty good too.

Wake The Dead is very catchy. One of the few songs that doesn't suffer from too much production. Catch Me If You Can and Killed By Love are good songs but have irritating effects on the vocals.

The weakest track for me is I Know Where You Live. That song has just never grown on me. I know a lot of people like it, but for me it's one of Alice's worst songs in the last few years. Also not fond of I Am The Spider.

Vengeance is quite successful in sounding gritty and violent, but at least 6 of the songs are ruined by the production.

I like the album but it's not one of the best. 6/10.
All Of My Life Was A Laugh And A Joke
And A Drink And A Smoke
And Then I Passed Out On The Floor

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Inmate » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:40 pm

Great album.
"I'm just another case…”

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:03 pm

Easily his "Sgt. Pepper" Moment. Well produced (Bob who?) along with well though-out lyrics and fantastic music made me forget all of the albums and songs he had tried to pass along as "music" before.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:27 pm

Over produced. This album would have benefited from a EOAC production. Lean and mean would have suited it much better. Would have made a great tour though.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:27 pm

cooperrocks wrote:I think the concept is great but the production killed it for me. It is one of the few Alice albums I rarely listen to.

same for me

Seriously
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Seriously » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:22 pm

A slow burner, like all great albums :rock:

Spamfreee
Trash
Trash

Post by Spamfreee » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:07 pm

Still waiting for iTunes to make this available!!!
...and the snake says "ssssssss."

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:53 pm

This is a good album. No better, no worse.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...