The Alice Cooper album of the Day: ZIPPER CATCHES SKIN

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

The Alice Cooper album of the Day: ZIPPER CATCHES SKIN

Post by tuneylune » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:32 am

For me, this is the funniest of the three "lost" albums Alice recorded in the early 80's (meaning the ones he doesn't remember due to alcoholism) and makes a nice buffer between the raucous SPECIAL FORCES and the subdued DADA. A great one-two opening punch with "Zorro's Ascent" and "Make that Money" leads into one of my favorites by him from this era, the ominous "I am the Future" which has great "mood" music by Lalo Schifrin and was the theme for the violent and nasty CLASS OF 1984 (check out a very young and chunky Michael J. Fox in here). However, this as about as serious as the album gets and then it's jocularity the rest of the way "Adaptable", "Remarkably Insincere" (although this is funny, it's almost mean spirited in the way the song's protagonist feels towards women), "I Better Be Good" (mentioning the circumstances leading to the album title...OW!)and "I'm Alive (That was the day my Dead Pet Returned to save my Life) are so incredibly silly, but still work. Some great guitar work by a returning Dick Wagner, who also helps out with playing and songwriting.
Two favorite songs are "Tag, You're It" which mentions the movie HALLOWEEN and could be a "mini-opera" of the film and "I Like Girls" with a great sarcastic duet with the late Patty Donahue-would be nice to see these two songs in a show and Alice has even mentioned that "Tag" would be fun to perform.
Even if it's somewhat amusing, have never cared for "No Baloney Homo sapiens", but it's the last song on Side One, so you can turn the record over or push "skip" on the CD player
So, still another little album that deserves a wider listening audience and showing even under adverse conditions, the Coop can still deliver the goods. ***1/2
"I need everything the world owes me..."

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Re: The Alice Cooper album of the Day: ZIPPER CATCHES SKIN

Post by dadascot » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:15 pm

I remember buying it the day it came out and was disapointed in the cover reading it on the bus home, which is always a bit ominious. I remember being disapointed on first hearing but the album grew and grew on me. Listening now I think that it has great lyrics and superb guitar works. I am the future is classic Alice, I agree entirely with the above review.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:33 pm

Really like Remarkably Insincere/I like girls..and there is some manic guitar playing on album...not that keen on many of the tracks..
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:19 pm

I love Class Of 1984 and I am the Future
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:42 am

I've tried loads of times to get into this album, but most of it still sounds awful to me.
I do quite like Adaptable and Zorro's Ascent. I Am The Future is really good. But the rest is really poor imo.
All Of My Life Was A Laugh And A Joke
And A Drink And A Smoke
And Then I Passed Out On The Floor

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:47 pm

Totally love this album! Great humour throughout, nuanced playing, some nice Wagner riffs - underrated album from an underappreciated era. Zorro's Ascent, Make That Money and I'm Alive are stand out tracks.

DaveJay
Killer
Killer

Post by DaveJay » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:15 pm

One of Alice's "Greats" IMO,. I loved it from the first play, and still do...I can't think of a Track that I dislike. I had a few "New Romantic" mates at the time, who were Rather more into Culture Club, Duran Duran, Soft Cell etc, and they all liked this album too. They even used to ask me to bring it down to "Their" nightclubs on some nights, so the DJ there could play a few tracks!!
Billion Dollar Boobles!!!

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:20 am

Looks like I will have to give this album another listen. There must be something to it if so many people like it.
And A Drink And A Smoke

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:31 am

Perhaps Alice' worse ever effort, Tag and I am the future are the only decent songs.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:52 am

I love it, from beginning to end. A great followup to Special Forces, IMO. Definitely the lightest and funniest album, lyrically, so it's no wonder Creepy-Alice fans don't care for it.

Hunter

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:54 pm

Through the years I have really grown an appreciate for the early 80's albums and think "Special Forces" and "Dada" are great albums (especially Dada). Though I like everything Alice has ever done, this one would rank in my bottom three Alice albums along with Along Came a Spider and Muscle of Love. I rarely listen to this one.

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:08 am

Great and underrated stuff on this LP. Adaptable, Zorro, Make that Money, I Like Girls, to name a few. Excellent drum sound by Erik Scott- so punchy and strong. You'll never hear drums these days sound as "real" and powerful.

Model Citizen
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Model Citizen » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:19 am

I'm not in love with the first side, but side two is pretty solid. I don't think it stacks up to the previous two albums, but it has it's charms.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:24 am

I have mixed feeling about this album; I think the production is too basic for one and some of the songs don't come across as well as they could ('No Baloney' probably the prime example with it being a 'bigger' song).
I would LOVE him to play 'Tag You're It' live (with sound effects) and 'I am the future' is in my top 5 Cooper tracks!!!

Sarah
Killer
Killer

Post by Sarah » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:24 pm

I think it's pretty hit and miss. There are a couple of great songs, but apart from that it's my least favourite AC album. I much prefer the other early 80s albums.

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:30 pm

Tried the album again today. Still don't like it lol.
And A Drink And A Smoke