The Alice Cooper album of the Day: RAISE YOUR FIST AND YELL

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

The Alice Cooper album of the Day: RAISE YOUR FIST AND YELL

Post by tuneylune » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:51 pm

Life was kind of tough when I got this. Money was very tight, I was about to become a father (looking forward to it, but terrified at the same time)and I had just gotten off probation at the job I stayed with for 22 years before moving to NH, but was scared I might not make it through the 90 days. To make matters worse, I found 90% of music released in the late 80's to be hopelessly bland or just couldn't get into it and music was always a comforting factor. I was working with a guy who was about seven years younger than me and he referred to me as "an old fart" (at the age of 26) because I preferred music from the seventies and early 80's.
Snapped this up as soon as I saw it and saw it as the obvious companion to CONSTRICTOR (even the cover was similar) but found it somewhat lacking and Alice trying way too hard to be "evil" Loved "Freedom" right off the bat (would love to see this in the show)and was amused by Robert Englund guesting in "Lock Me Up", but did not like the song and the rest of Side One, as it just seemed to be going through the motions.
Things picked up on Side two when the eerie "Prince of Darkness" and the great solo by Kane Roberts (I was very impressed with his playing, especially live, but grew tired of the Eddie Van Halen speed tricks and whammy bar overload) and the last four songs ("Time to Kill", "Chop Chop Chop", "Gail" and "Roses on White Lace") predate ALONG CAME A SPIDER by a good twenty years. Not too crazy about "Chop Chop Chop" as it feels forced, but good vocals on "Time to Kill" and "Roses" help and the hairs on the back of my neck sttod up while listening to "Gail" the first time. So disturbing with the pretty keyboards mixed with the frankly frightening lyrics and it's a high point for him with the end vocal.
So, while this certainly not bad, for me, it's not as fun as CONSTRICTOR although the production is better and Ken Mary's drumming is real good, certainly better than the drum machine-does anyone know what he is doing these days as he was a good fit for Alice on this and the tours? I just wish Alice would have toned down the "Evil" approach and Kane play a little slower but his last tour had been sucessful with said approaches and maybe MCA wanted more of the same. **1/2
"I need everything the world owes me..."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: The Alice Cooper album of the Day: RAISE YOUR FIST AND Y

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:59 pm

>does anyone know what he is doing these days

He is now an audio engineer and from what I understand, rather successful.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:05 pm

>does anyone know what he is doing these days

He is now an audio engineer and from what I understand, rather successful.

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:17 pm

I love this album. Every single track has a great riff, a hard hitting chorus and great lyrics.
Gail is perhaps one of Alice's most creepy songs. Freedom and Lock me Up are great hard rock songs to blast out when you're in your car or on your stereo.

Roses on white lace is obviously a great song. Bloody lyrics, murder and humour equals classic Cooper.

Prince Of Darkness is another great song. The guitar work is absolutely fantastic.

This album was a huge step-up from Constrictor. Every track on here is superb. One of Alice's angriest and most violent albums. 10/10.
All Of My Life Was A Laugh And A Joke
And A Drink And A Smoke
And Then I Passed Out On The Floor

old school vet
Killer
Killer

Post by old school vet » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:30 pm

Another classic album. Roses on white lace would be my choice to be played live especially with the guitar players on hand at present this is a track that they could bounce all over the place.

As for drummers, Ken Mary is only second to Neal Smith IMH, he brought a very distinctive sound into the albums and shows

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:24 pm

Although albums like WTMN, Killer and Love It It To Death are right up there, I would have to say this is my favorite Alice Cooper album. It was my 2nd Alice album I bought and at the time I was really getting into horror movies so the lyrics (epecially the trilogy) were perfect. While tuneylune thought Alice should have toned down the "Evil" approach, I was more than happy he turned it up following Constrictor and really wish he would do it again the future. I've always thought Alice was at his best doing either slow and creepy songs like Steven or heavier songs like RYFAY.

Kane Roberts is one of my all time favorite guitar players and in my opinion the most underated. I honestly think he's in the same league as the guys like Eddie Van Halen and Randy Rhoads.

Not only is it my favorite Alice album but the song Roses On White Lace is also my favorite Alice song. I would love that or any song off this album played live one day. My only complaint is that it needs to be remastered and the cover art should be changed to the picture they were originally gonna use (the half face half skull) when it was gonna be called Summer Blood.
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:13 pm

a far superior album to Constrictor which had 3 great tracks, Raise Your Fist on the other hand had 6, Freedom (the Elected of the 1980s) and all of side 2.

Was pleased ITV realised how great Chop Chop Chop was when they used it in this trailer a couple of years ago

http://youtu.be/hpsgaoBH5dM
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:33 pm

"step on you" is an awesome track!

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:50 pm

Alice's worst album by a country mile. Horrible sound, Alice's vocals are forced, horrendous lyrics, the worst cover, not just by Alice but just about anybody. The guitar work is so one dimensional that it's just depressing. The only redeeming song is Gail which sounds like something that could have been off DADA. I brought this album out again recently just incase I had been overly harsh, I hadn't, I really had to force myself to sit and listen to the whole thing. People seem to like roses on white lace, but Kane's solo is just so poor. Anyway that's my opinion on it, each to their own.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:26 am

After the very disappointing Constrictor this was a much better album with a very strong b-side. I also loved that tour.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:51 am

One of my favorite Alice albums of all-time.

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:55 am

Very good album especially compared to Constrictor. Only song I don't care much for is Give the Radio Back.
Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face

guilty65
Killer
Killer

Post by guilty65 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:51 am

I LOVE THIS CD...This is a brilliant Alice Cooper disk. For me...EVERY song on this cd is a classick. My favorite right next to B$B's... Roses on white lace should be considered to be on the top 10 disturbing songs list. Ken Mary's Drumming on this is absolutely STELLAR. and this was PRE Protools folks. Whats was made was what he played. Nothing Short of brilliant. He and Kane (as players) made this album happen.

I, to this day, still wonder why Alice will not play, talk about, or acknowledge this album. Does any one know...? Also IMHO RAISE doesnt sound like Alice is trying to hard to be evil. If you ask me he achieved it in spades. It seems to have worked on tuneylune by your description of the end trilogy. :evil:

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:07 am

dadascot wrote:Alice's worst album by a country mile. Horrible sound, Alice's vocals are forced, horrendous lyrics, the worst cover, not just by Alice but just about anybody. The guitar work is so one dimensional that it's just depressing. The only redeeming song is Gail which sounds like something that could have been off DADA. I brought this album out again recently just incase I had been overly harsh, I hadn't, I really had to force myself to sit and listen to the whole thing. People seem to like roses on white lace, but Kane's solo is just so poor. Anyway that's my opinion on it, each to their own.
Worst album by a country mile?!

One dimensional guitar work?!

Horrendous lyrics?!

Forced vocals?!

You are doing Alice & Kane a massive disservice here.

It is a heavy metal album so the vocals & guitar work are going to be of a certain genre, but take Freedom for example it's one of Alice's best songs of that decade, a great vocal & lyric and showcases Kane as a great player.
There is melody in that solo too his playing is not as you say "one dimensional".

A much better album of the two metal albums Alice did and it was good to hear Alice rocking again after the alternative albums which though containing some great tracks, with the exception of the DaDa album were disappointing.

As for you criticism of Kane's solo on Roses On White Lace being "so poor", that is really out of order, tell us how you would have approached the song seeing as you are so critical of Kane Roberts?

There is a lot more to his playing than the untrained ear gives him credit for, have a listen to his solo on Bed Of Nails for example he's not the "one dimensional" heavy metal guitar player some would have you believe.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:55 am

>I, to this day, still wonder why Alice will not play, talk about, or acknowledge this album.

He has spoken about it and he has no problem with speaking about it.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:33 am

It is a GREAT Heavy Metal album, and stands up as a strong Alice Cooper album for me. It is, in my opinion, FAR SUPERIOR to Constrictor (in every way) and more enjoyable than Trash for that matter. I don't think there is a filler, although 'not that kind of love' may be pushing it a tad. I'm not a mad fan of out-and-out metal, but Cooper does it better than anyone here I think.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:37 pm

Great album. Not as hip as Constrictor, but a good extension on that heavy metal sound!!
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:05 am

It is by far my favorite Alice Cooper album...Freedom being my favorite song...just captures the angst and everything that Alice stands for...further, Not That Kind of Love is such a fun song "Hello my little pretty my don't we look YUK...come here"

The second side is GENIUS all the way through...Prince of Darkness and Time to Kill are amazing but the "Trilogy" as it has become known is a work of art...I would LOVE to see them performed live in my lifetime LOL (I've seen original RYFAY footage live).

10/10...but would get higher rating if i could go above 10 LOL
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

guilty65
Killer
Killer

Post by guilty65 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:45 am

AlongCameASpider27 wrote:It is by far my favorite Alice Cooper album...Freedom being my favorite song...just captures the angst and everything that Alice stands for...further, Not That Kind of Love is such a fun song "Hello my little pretty my don't we look YUK...come here"

The second side is GENIUS all the way through...Prince of Darkness and Time to Kill are amazing but the "Trilogy" as it has become known is a work of art...I would LOVE to see them performed live in my lifetime LOL (I've seen original RYFAY footage live).

10/10...but would get higher rating if i could go above 10 LOL

This rating goes to 11 :8):

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Inmate » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:34 am

Just heard this album today!
:alice:
"I'm just another case…”