Ship of Fear

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Gorehound, SickThings, Devon, Si, Shoesalesman

User avatar
cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond
Posts: 2304
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:38 pm
Location: The Cotswolds
Contact:

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by cherrypie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:45 am

KeithGale wrote:Not too sure if this has been posted, though I don't know if too many people will be disappointed!
The ship will not sail!

http://www.shipoffear.com/

EXCELLENT news!!
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

PatrickS77
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:56 pm

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by PatrickS77 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:54 pm

cherrypie wrote:
KeithGale wrote:Not too sure if this has been posted, though I don't know if too many people will be disappointed!
The ship will not sail!

http://www.shipoffear.com/

EXCELLENT news!!
Seriously?? How nice of you. That has to suck for people who have booked and probably already got a flight.

But like I said... it would have been much better to open booking closer to the date. Who wants to commit and shell out a lot of money to something that happens in almost one year? Very shortsighted of the organizers to cancel now. I'm sure bookings would have picked up closer to the date.

Jaded
Garric Stalker
Garric Stalker
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:58 pm
Location: USA/ UK
Contact:

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by Jaded » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:36 pm

PatrickS77 wrote:
cherrypie wrote:
KeithGale wrote:Not too sure if this has been posted, though I don't know if too many people will be disappointed!
The ship will not sail!

http://www.shipoffear.com/

EXCELLENT news!!
Seriously?? How nice of you. That has to suck for people who have booked and probably already got a flight.

But like I said... it would have been much better to open booking closer to the date. Who wants to commit and shell out a lot of money to something that happens in almost one year? Very shortsighted of the organizers to cancel now. I'm sure bookings would have picked up closer to the date.

Really? Out of everyone Si and I know, we knew no one considering this..To go one step further, out of all those people not one of them knew of anyone who had bought a ticket for this either.

It also states on the cancellation notice that if you did purchase a cabin for the cruise that you would receive a full refund. You can cancel your flight, I have many times..
Personally, there wasn't enough Alice content in the cruise to make it worth going for me..(one show) For that kind of money I could do 10 shows and stay in top notch hotels.

I can see why Penny is excited, she is hoping for another AC Halloween UK tour..AND I hope we get it! :drink: Penny
I take life with a grain of salt...
A wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

PatrickS77
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:56 pm

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by PatrickS77 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:44 pm

^^So you know every single Alice Cooper fan?? And only the people you know are valid Alice Cooper fans??

Regarding flights. Some you can cancel and some you can't. Depending on the class of ticket you bought. I had both previously. Some flights you simply cannot cancel.

Jaded
Garric Stalker
Garric Stalker
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:58 pm
Location: USA/ UK
Contact:

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by Jaded » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:53 pm

I didn't say that patrick.. I said everyone WE KNEW..and we sent out an email and chatted around and asked them if anyone they knew were going.. I would say we know a fair amount of Alice fans after all Si gets over a 1000 emails a week from fans asking questions or asking for information.
I take life with a grain of salt...
A wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

killer wolf
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher
Posts: 649
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:26 am
Location: newcastle

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by killer wolf » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:30 am

although not entirely unexpected (hardly a-lister film/horror guests) i can hardly say this is "excellent" news. i assume you say this because you immediately assume Cooper will be back here on tour instead? which doesn't appear to have been mentioned anywhere, or even remotely implied?
and flights - most of the stuff i've seen involves some sort of cancellation fee based on a sliding scale of proximity to the date itself, so there is a chance people lost money on this.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

User avatar
sparkinthedark
DiS ViciOuS stalker
DiS ViciOuS stalker
Posts: 1468
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:05 pm
Location: Preston, England
Contact:

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by sparkinthedark » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:28 pm

I always thought this was a very ambitious endeavour and personally (as Jaded said) there was simply not enough Alice content for me to ever consider it, particularly as I'd have had to buy a transatlantic flight simply to get to the departure point.

Having had conversations with people in the latter part of last year, realising nothing more had been said in any quarter about the event since its launch, I'm not in the least bit surprised that it has cancelled.

As to the comment that they should have left it up for sale until nearer the date I'm not sure that this would have worked. I work in the travel industry and the bookings that we usually see are normally a year in advance of travel. Add to that the fact that suppliers often face cancellation fees with THEIR suppliers.. maybe the operator didn't want to risk that happening to them by leaving time to tick along with no guarantee of any further sales.
aLL HeaRt
>---❤️--->

User avatar
cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond
Posts: 2304
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:38 pm
Location: The Cotswolds
Contact:

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by cherrypie » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:00 pm


I can see why Penny is excited, she is hoping for another AC Halloween UK tour..AND I hope we get it! :drink: Penny

Exactly. :drink:
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher
Posts: 679
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:19 pm
Location: Louisville, Ky

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:25 pm

Maybe Alice will return to the States for Halloween...still one of my goals to see him on Halloween
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

User avatar
wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1095
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:08 pm
Location: Exeter, Devon, UK
Contact:

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by wind_up_toy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:08 pm

I always assumed that he did Halloween in the UK as it's so compact and therefore easy to fit in plenty of dates in the small window of time.

I could be completely wrong though!
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

PatrickS77
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:56 pm

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by PatrickS77 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:27 pm

If he really wanted to do a Halloween tour this year, he certainly wouldn't have committed to that cruise gig in the first place. It makes no sense to give up a Halloween themed tour, just to do one show on a ship. So he probably commited to that gig, because he didn't want to do that tour.
Last edited by PatrickS77 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PatrickS77
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:56 pm

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by PatrickS77 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:34 pm

sparkinthedark wrote:As to the comment that they should have left it up for sale until nearer the date I'm not sure that this would have worked. I work in the travel industry and the bookings that we usually see are normally a year in advance of travel.
And who does that?? People near retiring age, who either are more planning and are more affluent to pay for something, which happens in one year's time, in advance. Younger people (and I'm assuming that the target audience of a rock/horror icons cruise is younger) are more spur of the moment and decide 3 to 4 months or even closer to the date that the want to go somewhere.

Add to that the fact that suppliers often face cancellation fees with THEIR suppliers.. maybe the operator didn't want to risk that happening to them by leaving time to tick along with no guarantee of any further sales.
True. But they should have taken into consideration that many people do not want to pay that long in advance and might book closer to the date. But then again, maybe they did and it was a total failure either way.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5383
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:45 pm

>I always assumed that he did Halloween in the UK as it's so compact and therefore easy to fit in plenty of dates in the small window of time.

Well, that isn't what happened in 2010 though.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5383
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:48 pm

>If he really wanted to do a Halloween tour this year, he certainly wouldn't have committed to that cruise gig in the first place.

How do you know? How do you know there are not or were not shows planned for either side of it? Be careful not express your own speculation as fact.

PatrickS77
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:56 pm

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by PatrickS77 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:19 am

^^Ah, I don't. I just feel it's silly to think "No ship = UK tour".

Then again, reading that news item on Alice Cooper.com again, he was only supposed to perform on the 28th and 29th. He still could have been back for a 31st/early november kind of tour. It didn't necessarily have to start before Halloween or be on Halloween at all anyway.

Whatever, time will tell... or not.

PS: And on the comment sections of that news item, some people mention that they already have booked. So despite Si and Jaded not knowing any fans that have booked, there were fans that have booked.
Last edited by PatrickS77 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5383
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:33 am

>^^Ah, I don't. I just feel it's silly to think "No ship = UK tour".

Well, you certainly implied the opposite in an earlier post.

PatrickS77
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:56 pm

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by PatrickS77 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:41 am

^^Ah, whatever... this is getting too silly now. It's just ridiculous to think, that he wanted to do that tour and didn't because of two shows on a ship.

User avatar
wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1095
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:08 pm
Location: Exeter, Devon, UK
Contact:

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by wind_up_toy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:18 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>I always assumed that he did Halloween in the UK as it's so compact and therefore easy to fit in plenty of dates in the small window of time.

Well, that isn't what happened in 2010 though.
No it wasn't, however, the last 2 years have seen numerous dates during the Halloween 'season' (including 3 conescutive dates in 2012 I think). Alice and Halloween are a great combination and the UK appears to be the best setting don't you think?
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5383
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:25 pm

>It's just ridiculous to think, that he wanted to do that tour and didn't because of two shows on a ship.

You already said that and besides, I'm not sure anyone here made that claim. You brought it up yesterday in your post.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5383
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:29 pm

>and the UK appears to be the best setting don't you think?

Not necessarily. There are other cities in the world as you know. Look at the dates for 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 for example.

Post Reply