Ship of Fear

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Gorehound, SickThings, Devon, Si, Shoesalesman

PatrickS77
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:56 pm

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by PatrickS77 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:58 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>It's just ridiculous to think, that he wanted to do that tour and didn't because of two shows on a ship.

You already said that and besides, I'm not sure anyone here made that claim. You brought it up yesterday in your post.
Wow! You sure do like to argue. Well, I don't and this will be my last response:

cherrypie wrote:

I can see why Penny is excited, she is hoping for another AC Halloween UK tour..AND I hope we get it! :drink: Penny

Exactly. :drink:

So there you have it. I just infers: No ship, so he'll tour in the UK.

To which I say, had he wanted to do that tour, he wouldn't have committed to the ship in the first place. So this cancellation doesn't change a thing, other than some people, who had already booked, being let down and probably out of money. So there is no reason to be happy about the cancellation... it's just selfish really.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5383
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:09 pm

>Do you think there's a specific reason why he's been in the UK 3 years on the trot Andy?

Yes. The idea was to associate Alice with Halloween in a country where Halloween is not particularly popular. It had nothing to do with Britain's specific geography. This country was the obvious choice given Alice's history with it and his relative popularity.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5383
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:15 pm

>Wow! You sure do like to argue. Well, I don't and this will be my last response:

"Wow! You sure do like to" write dumb stuff.

>So there you have it. I just infers: No ship, so he'll tour in the UK.

But no one said he would not! No one said there would be no British tour just because of the cruise! All cherrypie did was hope that the chances of a British tour had increased.

>To which I say, had he wanted to do that tour, he wouldn't have committed to the ship in the first place.

Again, that's ridiculous. Why couldn't there have been a tour in the days leading up to the cruise (with a break beforehand) or a tour in the days after the cruise (again with a break after it)? You're just speculating with no informed basis on which to do that.

>So this cancellation doesn't change a thing,

Exactly. There may be a tour around that time or there may not. I don't think you know what the point your trying to make is.

PatrickS77
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:56 pm

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by PatrickS77 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:38 pm

^^You really should learn to read and comprehend. You're adding nothing new and all I have to say (including my point) I already said in my previous responses.

User avatar
wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1091
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:08 pm
Location: Exeter, Devon, UK
Contact:

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by wind_up_toy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:47 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Do you think there's a specific reason why he's been in the UK 3 years on the trot Andy?

Yes. The idea was to associate Alice with Halloween in a country where Halloween is not particularly popular. It had nothing to do with Britain's specific geography. This country was the obvious choice given Alice's history with it and his relative popularity.
I see, thanks for clarifying. Long may it continue!
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:01 pm
Location: Dragontown

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by Desperado22 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:08 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:
A_MichaelUK wrote:>Do you think there's a specific reason why he's been in the UK 3 years on the trot Andy?

Yes. The idea was to associate Alice with Halloween in a country where Halloween is not particularly popular. It had nothing to do with Britain's specific geography. This country was the obvious choice given Alice's history with it and his relative popularity.
I see, thanks for clarifying. Long may it continue!
I hope so. It's always magical seeing Alice perform at Halloween. The crowd love it and he always seems to have some extra bounce in his performances at Halloween.
All Of My Life Was A Laugh And A Joke
And A Drink And A Smoke
And Then I Passed Out On The Floor

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:01 pm
Location: Dragontown

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by Desperado22 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:09 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:
A_MichaelUK wrote:>Do you think there's a specific reason why he's been in the UK 3 years on the trot Andy?

Yes. The idea was to associate Alice with Halloween in a country where Halloween is not particularly popular. It had nothing to do with Britain's specific geography. This country was the obvious choice given Alice's history with it and his relative popularity.
I see, thanks for clarifying. Long may it continue!
I hope so. It's always magical seeing Alice perform at Halloween. The crowd love it and he always seems to have some extra bounce in his performances at Halloween.
All Of My Life Was A Laugh And A Joke
And A Drink And A Smoke
And Then I Passed Out On The Floor

User avatar
sparkinthedark
DiS ViciOuS stalker
DiS ViciOuS stalker
Posts: 1468
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:05 pm
Location: Preston, England
Contact:

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by sparkinthedark » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:46 pm

PatrickS77 wrote:
sparkinthedark wrote:As to the comment that they should have left it up for sale until nearer the date I'm not sure that this would have worked. I work in the travel industry and the bookings that we usually see are normally a year in advance of travel.
And who does that?? People near retiring age, who either are more planning and are more affluent to pay for something, which happens in one year's time, in advance. Younger people (and I'm assuming that the target audience of a rock/horror icons cruise is younger) are more spur of the moment and decide 3 to 4 months or even closer to the date that the want to go somewhere.
Actually, my clients are all at the younger end of the spectrum - up to mid 20s and the reason they want to book so far in advance is precisely because they are not "affluent" and want to make the payments on such a trip more affordable for themselves. I'm not saying spur of the moment decisions don't happen but I have certainly found that the more expensive a trip is, the further in advance someone will book.

sparkinthedark wrote:Add to that the fact that suppliers often face cancellation fees with THEIR suppliers.. maybe the operator didn't want to risk that happening to them by leaving time to tick along with no guarantee of any further sales.
PatrickS77 wrote:True. But they should have taken into consideration that many people do not want to pay that long in advance and might book closer to the date. But then again, maybe they did and it was a total failure either way.
I would venture (though I am not certain) that the decision to cancel will have been taken in conjunction with the cruise operator and the sponsor. All parties I am sure will have wanted the trip to go ahead but there comes a time when they need to make a business decision on it. Entertainment Cruise Productions offer many different types of music-themed cruises and so I'd be prepared to trust their judgement on whether there was enough current demand and also whether they considered that they could hold out longer on the offchance that more people would book.

Either way the cruise alone was a lot of money (leaving the cost of getting to the departure point aside) and my personal opinion is that there was not enough Alice 'content' to get Cooper fans to weigh in and for the usual Chiller convention-goers it amounted to a very expensive rock concert given that they can get their "fix" of actors, directors, etc at the convention for far less money.
aLL HeaRt
>---❤️--->

Jaded
Garric Stalker
Garric Stalker
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:58 pm
Location: USA/ UK
Contact:

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by Jaded » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:04 pm

PatrickS77 wrote:
A_MichaelUK wrote:>It's just ridiculous to think, that he wanted to do that tour and didn't because of two shows on a ship.

You already said that and besides, I'm not sure anyone here made that claim. You brought it up yesterday in your post.
Wow! You sure do like to argue. Well, I don't and this will be my last response:

cherrypie wrote:

I can see why Penny is excited, she is hoping for another AC Halloween UK tour..AND I hope we get it! :drink: Penny

Exactly. :drink:

So there you have it. I just infers: No ship, so he'll tour in the UK.

To which I say, had he wanted to do that tour, he wouldn't have committed to the ship in the first place. So this cancellation doesn't change a thing, other than some people, who had already booked, being let down and probably out of money. So there is no reason to be happy about the cancellation... it's just selfish really.

maybe you should learn to read Patrick.. Last time I checked when you hope for something it doesn't necessary mean its going to happen.
I take life with a grain of salt...
A wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

User avatar
Gorehound
Blonde and Proud butler
Blonde and Proud butler
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:12 pm
Location: West Yorkshire UK

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by Gorehound » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:04 pm

Not sure why you're so hung up on this Patrick, or why it's particularly selfish to be happy at the possibility that this could mean another UK Halloween tour. Anyone who had booked may be somewhat disappointed, but as long as they get their money back I'm sure it's not gonna be the end of the world. It seems like you're the one who likes to argue lol.
Flesh fanatic psychopath

User avatar
RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 2740
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:47 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:25 pm

While I would have loved to make the cruise, the expense was significant and I also didn't feel there was enough unique Alice content to make it worthwhile.

In addition, it would be difficult for me to attend any event on Halloween given I have a young child and that's a big holiday for kids.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

User avatar
steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1816
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:39 pm

Patrick what you've got to bear in mind is although there are more Alice Cooper fans in the world than on this forum and some of them no doubt just as hardcore, this ship of fear thing was a rich people's event and there isn't much sympathy for anyone with a load of money even if they were a real fan and wanted to see Alice Cooper on a cruise ship, it's human nature I'm afraid to look after your own self interests, even if Alice Cooper may have enjoyed it and made a lot of money from it.

Personally I think it would make a refreshing change if Alice Cooper didn't play here for Hallowe'en for a change, but another time of the year maybe Xmas, could even call it the tour that never came here 40 years ago because of the fuel crisis? Billion Dollar Babies 40th anniversary UK Holiday Tour 2013 could even get Dennis, Neal and Michael involved.

That old chestnut! :evil:
Another Cold Beer by Steven Crayn on iTunes, Amazon and Spotify featured on TV

User avatar
cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond
Posts: 2304
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:38 pm
Location: The Cotswolds
Contact:

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by cherrypie » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:03 pm

could even call it the tour that never came here 40 years ago because of the fuel crisis? Billion Dollar Babies 40th anniversary UK Holiday Tour 2013 could even get Dennis, Neal and Michael involved.

That old chestnut! :evil:
YEAH, great (but unlikely) idea Steven!!! :rock:
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

User avatar
RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 2740
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:47 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:28 pm

steven_crayn wrote:this ship of fear thing was a rich people's event and there isn't much sympathy for anyone with a load of money even if they were a real fan and wanted to see Alice Cooper on a cruise ship,
I think calling it a 'rich people's event' is a bit silly. There are plenty of rock related cruises and the clientele are far from what would be described as rich people.

KISS has done two very successful cruises and if an Alice cruise were modeled similarly, the reception among Sickthings would have been quite different. Although, there might not be big enough demand to pull something like that off with the fan base, unfortunately.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

User avatar
steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1816
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:24 am

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
steven_crayn wrote:this ship of fear thing was a rich people's event and there isn't much sympathy for anyone with a load of money even if they were a real fan and wanted to see Alice Cooper on a cruise ship,
I think calling it a 'rich people's event' is a bit silly. There are plenty of rock related cruises and the clientele are far from what would be described as rich people.

KISS has done two very successful cruises and if an Alice cruise were modeled similarly, the reception among Sickthings would have been quite different. Although, there might not be big enough demand to pull something like that off with the fan base, unfortunately.
Silly? you are missing the Irony of "rich peoples event" it's all relative but you needed more money to go on that cruise than the average Alice Cooper fan could afford.

I don't know what the Kiss ones cost but when you say "modeled similarly" are you talking the same price?

It's also pretty silly to imply that Alice hasn't got a big enough fan base, when it's really just a question of most people couldn't afford the sought of dough Ship Of Fear was gonna cost.
Another Cold Beer by Steven Crayn on iTunes, Amazon and Spotify featured on TV

User avatar
SickThings
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:04 pm
Location: Bowling Green, KY
Contact:

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by SickThings » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:39 pm

steven_crayn wrote: I don't know what the Kiss ones cost but when you say "modeled similarly" are you talking the same price?
I imagine he means a cruise centered around Alice, not a "Ship of Fear" with a performance from Alice. The KISS cruises have included an outdoor acoustic concert by KISS for everyone; two indoor, full-makeup shows for everyone (half one night, half the next); photo opportunities, and other KISS-related events. It's a full-on KISS event with at least two performances for all attendees.
It's also pretty silly to imply that Alice hasn't got a big enough fan base, when it's really just a question of most people couldn't afford the sought of dough Ship Of Fear was gonna cost.
Who says? I think it's more accurate to say that people didn't think the Ship of Fear was worth what they were charging, given an apparent performance from Alice (and no mention of any other interaction) and a string of less-than-spectacular horror stars. A different cruise---one centered around Alice with significant Alice involvement---could well be very successful.

Hunter

User avatar
RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 2740
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:47 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:29 pm

steven_crayn wrote: Silly? you are missing the Irony of "rich peoples event" it's all relative but you needed more money to go on that cruise than the average Alice Cooper fan could afford.
I think it's quite affordable to many Alice fans. I see plenty of Alice fans that fly from one continent to another to see shows. I could "afford" it if I really wanted to do it. My wife might not be so thrilled, however. :grin:

Also, afford is a very relative term also, there's a wonderful (or not) invention called the credit card that people seem to make use of. Many people buy things they technically cannot "afford" but they still do.
steven_crayn wrote: It's also pretty silly to imply that Alice hasn't got a big enough fan base,
I don't know if he does or doesn't to be honest. The only reason I mentioned it is because KISS plays to much larger audiences. The other rock cruises I'm aware of have many bands, rather than being dedicated to one artist. So I don't know the answer to that one, I can only surmise.
steven_crayn wrote: when it's really just a question of most people couldn't afford the sought of dough Ship Of Fear was gonna cost.
Again, I think it's been mentioned several times already that many of us didn't seriously consider the cruise because it didn't offer anything more to the Alice fan than we can experience if we simply attend a regular Alice Cooper show for much less money. Rather than spend over a thousand to catch one Alice show on a boat, I can attend more than a few other shows this year in other locations.

Hunter has interpreted my post correctly. If Alice did a cruise similar to the KISS cruise dedicated solely to him with multiple shows, meet and greets, etc.... I would try to move heaven and earth to make it.

Imagine an Alice Cruise where he did an unplugged show, a solo show and then a reunion show and that was all included... and there was a meet n' greet photo opportunity included... and Alice trivia... and costume contests... etc.. etc.. That's along the lines of the KISS cruise.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

User avatar
steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1816
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:44 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote: I think it's quite affordable to many Alice fans. I see plenty of Alice fans that fly from one continent to another to see shows. I could "afford" it if I really wanted to do it. My wife might not be so thrilled, however.

Also, afford is a very relative term also, there's a wonderful (or not) invention called the credit card that people seem to make use of. Many people buy things they technically cannot "afford" but they still do.

I don't know if he does or doesn't to be honest. The only reason I mentioned it is because KISS plays to much larger audiences. The other rock cruises I'm aware of have many bands, rather than being dedicated to one artist. So I don't know the answer to that one, I can only surmise.

Again, I think it's been mentioned several times already that many of us didn't seriously consider the cruise because it didn't offer anything more to the Alice fan than we can experience if we simply attend a regular Alice Cooper show for much less money. Rather than spend over a thousand to catch one Alice show on a boat, I can attend more than a few other shows this year in other locations.

Hunter has interpreted my post correctly. If Alice did a cruise similar to the KISS cruise dedicated solely to him with multiple shows, meet and greets, etc.... I would try to move heaven and earth to make it.

Imagine an Alice Cruise where he did an unplugged show, a solo show and then a reunion show and that was all included... and there was a meet n' greet photo opportunity included... and Alice trivia... and costume contests... etc.. etc.. That's along the lines of the KISS cruise.
You see plenty of Alice fans flying across the continent eh? but they are not your average fan and it's your average fan that generates the most revenue for a band as the die hard fans are a minority.

Yeah I've flown to the USA from England to see Alice and it wasn't cheap about £1000 for a plane ticket and 3 nights in a hotel to see Alice with the survivors of the original band play half an hour and it was worth it and they probably won't play together again.

But paying 3 grand plus flights to see the current band on a boat when they tour all the time isn't going to sell because it's overpriced and won't appeal to the average fan and their disposable income or credit limit.

Alice hates unplugged by the way he likes it "very plugged".

But Kiss fans might have more money than sense especially if they ask Gene Simmons for an autograph, what was that incident in Australia where he ridiculed a hard core fan.

Kiss my a**!
Another Cold Beer by Steven Crayn on iTunes, Amazon and Spotify featured on TV

old school vet
Killer
Killer
Posts: 227
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by old school vet » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:23 pm

Steven Crayn wrote - Yeah I've flown to the USA from England to see Alice and it wasn't cheap about £1000 for a plane ticket and 3 nights in a hotel to see Alice with the survivors of the original band play half an hour and it was worth it and they probably won't play together again

I also did this for the same reason. I have also been to France and Germany to see Alice and if the cruise was from Southampton or any other UK port I would be getting ready to sail. But the cost of the cruise plus additional hotels flights etc is just way beyond my reach.....

User avatar
frontrowjunkie
Killer
Killer
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:36 pm
Location: Echterdingen

Re: Ship of Fear

Post by frontrowjunkie » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:00 pm

Funny this thread is getting a "revival" now, as the cruise was cancelled months ago...

Post Reply