The Alice Cooper album of the Day:LACE AND WHISKEY

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

The Alice Cooper album of the Day:LACE AND WHISKEY

Post by tuneylune » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:17 pm

Original 1982 review: This one was a slight improvement over ACGTH. All of Side One rocks except "Damned if You Do" and all of Side Two rots except for "Ubangi Stomp". There was no concept this time, Thank God and true to form there was a ballad finishing off Side One, "You and Me" which probably fit right in with the Barry Manilow crowd and housewives who had never heard of Alice Cooper. No matter how competent songs like "It's Hot Tonight" and "Road Rats" are, all hopes are dashed by "I Never Wrote Those Songs" which is basically saying that all those lyrics of his old songs are not really "him" and he's ashamed he ever wrote "those songs", probably ones like "Dead Babies". Considering he wrote classics like "Elected" and "School's Out", this was a rather a--hole thing to say. Al, I love you, Man, but don't insult my intelligence. **1/2
Now: My God, the ramblings of a dumb 20 year old! This has gotten better over time for me and I find I love all of Side One-I wish he would use "It's Hot Tonight" as the showcase for the band and give "The Black Widow" a vacation. The title track and "Road Rats" sound better to my 50 year old ears than at 15 and even if "Damned if You Do" is kind of silly, it's not bad at all and "You And Me" sounds just fine to my happily long time married self. "Ubangi Stomp" still is funny with the Elvis impersonation and I quite enjoy his vocals on "No More Love At Your Convienance" as well as "I Never Wrote Those Songs" although I still don't dig the sentiment behind it-he has nothing to apologize for. "My God" has a great opening (sounds almost like church), but find it goes on too long and finds Ezrin's heavy hand pounding on it. Have never liked "King of the Silver Screen" and "Elected" notwithstanding, don't like it when Alice talks over the music and this rant is almost embarrassing.
I know a lot of people on the site have a fondness for this and I think it's a good effort from an artist who, I'm sure, was sick of being looked at as a monster/ clown/freak,physically worn out from constant work/drinking and trying to work out a happy medium where he could change direction and not alienate his fan base. The late seventies albums were a real trial for me and many people I knew who had liked Coop deflected over to the KISS/Aerosmith/Ted Nugent camp-I still stuck with him, even if I also bought albums from the above three and also got into Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. Hoping he would regain his direction and get back on track. Well, LAW HAS aged well and even if it's not a total triumph, it's still worth having.***1/2
"I need everything the world owes me..."

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Re: The Alice Cooper album of the Day:LACE AND WHISKEY

Post by recoop » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:44 pm

Interesting write up... I am not sure whether "i NEVER WROTE..." is the real Alice nee Vince apologising...it might be Alice the character messing with us.. King of the Silver Screen has a great solo but some of that song seems constructed in chunks to me..have it on vinyl from 77 but have not bought on cd..doubt he was together when he recorded this album..messy imo..it was Alice so some interesting bits...lyrics/music...but overall 2.5 stars for me ..take ACGTH..kick out 3 tracks (Wake Me,Goin Home,Give Kid a B) and add in Its Hot Tonight,Road Rats and Lace and Whiskey and ACGTH becomes a 4 star for me(otherwise 3 for me )..thats my tuppence
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

old school vet
Killer
Killer

Post by old school vet » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:44 pm

For me, this is another great album. It's Hot Tonight is another Cooper Classic and great live track. Plenty of Coops sense of humour in the lyrics which is why I love Alice so much, you never really know whats coming next which seperates him from most others and why Dylan was right in saying what an uder rated songsmith he is.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 pm

>I am not sure whether "i NEVER WROTE..." is the real Alice nee Vince apologising...

You are correct. He was not.

Model Citizen
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Model Citizen » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 am

I love about 3/4 of the record. Not a masterpiece, but It's Hot Tonight, Lace & Whiskey, King of the Silver Screen, I Never Wrote Those Songs & My God are all top rate Coop tracks that have endured throughout my 36yrs of following the man's career. It's uneven as hell, the sonics are terribly muddy & the "concept" is paper-thin but it has a charm of its own that I appreciate.

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:28 pm

I really like this album. It does have pretty poor production but most of the songs are very good imo. Tbh I like all of the songs on the album.
NMLAYC is actually one of my favourites from the album, which is odd as I don't like disco lol.

I can see why a lot of people don't like the album but I certainly get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

I remember the first time I saw Alice live, he opened up with It's Hot Tonight. That was a great moment.

Favourites tracks: It's Hot Tonight, NMLAYC, You and Me, King Of The Silver Screen, Road Rats.
All Of My Life Was A Laugh And A Joke
And A Drink And A Smoke
And Then I Passed Out On The Floor