Bowie

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Bowie

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:23 pm

andyrushworth wrote:According to Mick Ronson [who's favorite glam track was ACs Be My Lover]

Alice was great during the 70s as was Bowie ,but without any shadow of doubt Bowie was considered to be the most outrageous , I'd say Alice was the first to make it so Bowie had to out outrage Alice by professing to be Bisexual and he did !
That's garbage Alice was just as if not more outrageous, MP's weren't trying to ban Bowie
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:27 pm

jacknifejohnny wrote:it was a pretty big statement back in the day. IMO Bowie was really good in the early days, Space Oddity, Man Who Stole The World,Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, pretty good with Aladdin Sane and Diamond Dogs, then it all went to shit for a while, wow, that sounds familiar. Thinking back, Station To Station was pretty good also.

only pretty good with Aladdin Sane?!

It's his best album!
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:22 pm

It was his going electric album really, funny enough i just put Cracked Actor, Panic In Detroit and Watch That Man on my ipod.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:39 am

every song is great on that album Drive In Saturday probably my favourite Bowie song along with Life On Mars, but unlike Hunky Dory & Ziggy there are no weak tracks on Aladdin Sane and the musicianship is even better than what came before or since. Mike Garson on the title track and Time, Mick Ronson's guitar on Time & Prettiest Star it's all so fantastic.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:27 am

actually I must qualify that last post although I think there are some weak tracks on Hunky Dory there are no weak tracks on Ziggy, but neither album for me are as good as Aladdin Sane

andyrushworth
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by andyrushworth » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:48 pm

Man Who Sold The World was a masterpiece though not successful on its release !
I don't think Alice fans can escape Bowie the man was a genius ! over on Bowiewonderworld I've tried to name drop AC but nobody seems to have any interest ?

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:58 pm

Here's a good way to judge the 2, not sure if each 2 albums fall in the same year, but this is how i look at the 2 artists....Muscle Of Love against Diamond Dogs.....B$B's against Aladdin Sane....Killer against Ziggy Stardust.....and Love It To Death against The Man Who Sold The World. I would go for Alice every time, but a few are damn close.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:21 pm

andyrushworth wrote:Man Who Sold The World was a masterpiece though not successful on its release !
I don't think Alice fans can escape Bowie the man was a genius ! over on Bowiewonderworld I've tried to name drop AC but nobody seems to have any interest ?
Man Who Sold The World is a good album Width Of A Circle some of Mick's finest playing

No one is saying Bowie isn't a genius but to say he was more outrageous isn't true.

He also has taken too much credit where Alice Cooper hasn't got enough.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:03 pm

jacknifejohnny wrote:Here's a good way to judge the 2, not sure if each 2 albums fall in the same year, but this is how i look at the 2 artists....Muscle Of Love against Diamond Dogs.....B$B's against Aladdin Sane....Killer against Ziggy Stardust.....and Love It To Death against The Man Who Sold The World. I would go for Alice every time, but a few are damn close.
Strictly speaking 1973 BDB v Aladdin Sane would be the only true match up from that match up list in the same year and probably the toughest call possibly a draw!

before and after those chronologically from Man Who Sold The World which had a 1970 US release but 71 in UK, I agree against Love It To Death Alice Cooper wins.

If you look at the next releases both 71 it would actually be Killer v Hunky Dory, Killer wins for me, but the Bowie album contains one of the greatest songs ever written Life On Mars.

72 would be School's Out v Ziggy another close one, but i think Alice Cooper just wins again.

Pin Ups a cover album so let's forget that, but Muscle Of Love 73 v Diamond Dogs 74 Alice Cooper again for me

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:11 pm

I quite like Bowie. I havn't heard that much of his stuff but I like most of the songs that I've heard.
I sang Starman and Space Oddity live onstage when I was at college so I'll always have a lot of love for those songs.
He's a great vocalist but for some reason I havn't really listened to his albums. I love the hits though.
All Of My Life Was A Laugh And A Joke
And A Drink And A Smoke
And Then I Passed Out On The Floor

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:44 pm

Can't believe i forgot Schools Out , must have been that win at Reading lol

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:25 pm

When Bowie is good, he is really good. Love almost all THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD ("Width of a Circle", "All The Madmen", "Black Country Rock", "She Shook Me Cold" are my favorites) and also ZIGGY ("Moonage Daydream", "Starman", "Star", "Hang on to Yourself", "Ziggy Stardust" and"Suffragette City"). ALADDIN SANE is very good, but I don't dig it like the other two, but certainly like "Watch That Man", the title track with that jerky piano playing, "Panic in Detroit", "Cracked Actor", "Let's Spend The Night Together" and "The Jean Genie". Find HUNKY DORY way overrated-too Dylanesque for me, but love QUEEN BITCH, even if it's out of place on here. Mick Ronson was absolutely superb on guitar and nothing Bowie has done after they split has ever come close
"I need everything the world owes me..."

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:27 pm

Diane D. wrote:
jacknifejohnny wrote:it was a pretty big statement back in the day. IMO Bowie was really good in the early days, Space Oddity, Man Who Stole The World,Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, pretty good with Aladdin Sane and Diamond Dogs, then it all went to shit for a while, wow, that sounds familiar. Thinking back, Station To Station was pretty good also.
I'm not really into those songs, but I like the songs he did for movies, like the following, and also I like him a lot as an actor in ''The Hunger''.

http://youtu.be/dAagFKdsSNs
and Heroes - Christiane F.
Hey Miss D! I really like THE HUNGER too! He was also good in MERRY CHRISTMAS MR. LAWRENCE.

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:50 pm

tuneylune wrote:
Diane D. wrote:
I'm not really into those songs, but I like the songs he did for movies, like the following, and also I like him a lot as an actor in ''The Hunger''.

http://youtu.be/dAagFKdsSNs
and Heroes - Christiane F.
Hey Miss D! I really like THE HUNGER too! He was also good in MERRY CHRISTMAS MR. LAWRENCE.
I don't know Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence.
[

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:48 pm

Bowie plays a British soldier imprisoned by the Japanese during WW2. More of a straight performance, but he's in the majority of the film and he doesn't get old and decrepit like in THE HUNGER!

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:12 pm

"That's garbage Alice was just as if not more outrageous, MP's weren't trying to ban Bowie"

Exactly. Alice Cooper was MUCH more outrageous than Bowie. What was outrageous about Bowie - being camp??????

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:01 am

tuneylune wrote:When Bowie is good, he is really good. Love almost all THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD ("Width of a Circle", "All The Madmen", "Black Country Rock", "She Shook Me Cold" are my favorites) and also ZIGGY ("Moonage Daydream", "Starman", "Star", "Hang on to Yourself", "Ziggy Stardust" and"Suffragette City"). ALADDIN SANE is very good, but I don't dig it like the other two, but certainly like "Watch That Man", the title track with that jerky piano playing, "Panic in Detroit", "Cracked Actor", "Let's Spend The Night Together" and "The Jean Genie". Find HUNKY DORY way overrated-too Dylanesque for me, but love QUEEN BITCH, even if it's out of place on here. Mick Ronson was absolutely superb on guitar and nothing Bowie has done after they split has ever come close
"That jerky piano playing" is one the highlights of the album for me, Bowie encouraged Mike Garson who had recorded safer takes, to come up with something really avant garde based around the famous song 'On Broadway' the end result is truly stunning and played on that famous Trident studios piano (Hey Jude, Your Song, Crime Of The Century and not forgetting Rick Wakeman on Life On Mars). That piano was later restrung and never sounded the same.

The combination of Garson's piano and Ronson's guitar on 'Time' is fantastic and a musical style they revisited on Ronson's version of the Richard Rodgers tune Slaughter On Tenth Avenue which Garson played on.

Ronson and Garson are one of the reasons Aladdin Sane is one of the greatest albums of that or any time.

I think it's also interesting if you compare the similarity of the guitar tones of Time & the intro to Hello Hooray they are very similar and both awesome the killer guitar sound of that time.

Mick Ronson never got enough credit for why Bowie was so great, it wasn't just his playing but his arrangements the strings on Life On Mars for example.

Bowie has done great stuff post Ronson but nothing matched his work with Mick for me.

Mr. Skull
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr. Skull » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:08 pm

Aladdin Sane is Bowies-Ronsons top album to me .
Here's Lou saying some nice things about Mick : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ-7ZWi3bnY#t=43m38s.
In general I do believe Ronson never got enough credits for taking a huge part in laying the foundation Bowies career was built on.

Vaughan
Trash
Trash

Post by Vaughan » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:33 pm

I'm a Bowie fan, such a great artist.

As to his history.... back in the day - I'm talking about through 1980, but especially the 70's - you have to remember the world was a very different place. No Internet, no email. So everything we knew about "foreign" artists in the UK came through the media (documentaries, Newspapers, magazines etc.). As such, a British artist (Bowie) got a lot more coverage than Alice Cooper, who generally only got mentions when an album came out (and then only in the music press) or the rare instances when he toured here in the UK.

So it makes perfect sense that Bowie is remembered differently. I was a Cooper fan back in the 70's, and recall it was indeed a niche thing. Most people either hadn't heard his music, or were turned off by the bad press. Bowie on the other hand was charting....

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:42 am

>What was outrageous about Bowie - being camp??????

At the time it was extremely so, just as it was in America when Alice was doing it.