The Alice Cooper album of the Day: MUSCLE OF LOVE

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

The Alice Cooper album of the Day: MUSCLE OF LOVE

Post by tuneylune » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:14 pm

Original 1982 Review: This was the first album the Coopers did when they were successful that mostly...died. Maybe because there were no killers/psychopaths on it except for "Crazy Little Child", a total waste of vinyl and time. Before its release, Alice had stated he didn't want to make another album like "Alice Cooper" and to keep playing the image around a little more, so as a result, this LP is sort of inconsistent.
Well, however inconsistent it may be, the usual goods are delivered. "Never Been Sold Before" with its lyrics of a prostitute rebelling against her pimp is first rate with excellent guitar playing to back it up. "Working Up A Sweat" also has great axework as does the title track and the album closer "Woman Machine". The standout for me is "Hard Hearted Alice", a possible predecessor to "Only Women Bleed" with Alice crooning in a John Lennon-ish intonation the ups/downs of being "Alice Cooper" and touring over beautiful organ/acoustic guitar before jumping into fine driving rock.
"Big Apple Dreaming (Hippo)" is okay, but the violins throughout destroy the funny story of young Ohio hicks planning to conquer New York City-Aerosmith must have listened to this for it sounds a lot like the riff and drum beat were sped a bit for "Walk This Way". "The Man With The Golden Gun" and "Teenage Lament '74" suffer from background vocals from Liza Minelli and Ronnie Spector-fine artists, true, but not for these guys.
In closing, MUSCLE OF LOVE isn't great, but it's pretty good. Give it a chance if you missed it last time.***
Now: Another album that has aged well for me and doesn't seem to get the credit it should-even Alice all but dismisses it these days. Consider what it had going against it: An incredible four album run including BILLION DOLLAR BABIES before it, the so cheesy cardboard box container, no Bob Ezrin (although the production by Jacks Richardson and Douglas is fine), a seriously burned out band that needed a break and a December tour in the brutally cold Midwest and upstate New York for the most part.
Even with these obstacles, the guys pulled another winner out. Neal's drumming is great throughout, especially on "Woman Machine", "The Man With The Golden Gun" SHOULD have been used for the movie as it follows the story (even at 14, I picked up on it), "Never Been Sold Before" is fab with the guitars (especially that second one) and the cool horn section, Alice was dipping into TRASH territory years before the fact with "Working Up A Sweat" and "Muscle Of Love" and "Hard Hearted Alice " still sounds as good today as it did my first time in 1976. Still not crazy about "Crazy Little Child", but give credit for trying something different.
So, lets give this MUSCLE a lot of love with a ***** and a salute to my favorite band for the following reasons:
1-Throughout their career, they always looked cool and despite the somewhat scary side to their material, there was always a sense of humor which I love. Also, you can't forget those amazing rocking performances.
2-They had great chemistry together and a unique sound all their own even if there were several bands that were technically "better" I'll listen to an ACG before Blood Sweat and Tears or Yes albums despite the superior musicianship because the SONGS were better.
3-Led Zeppelin is the only band outside of ACG where I like every album, although the first two Zeps are one's I'll reach for last. I love every ACG album, even PRETTIES as it's not bad and they certainly improved on that. Many of other bands I like such as KISS, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, The Who, Rush, Aerosmith etc have released classic albums as well as some horrendous efforts
4-They went out on a high note , playing in front of thousands in Brazil and although I had always hoped for a reunion, sadly most reunions don't live up to the hype or the past(KISS is a perfect example of this) and it's sad to see what was once great not be so great anymore. Except for poor Glen, they all stayed active and although Alice had the greatest success being the singer/frontman, I enjoy very much what the rest of the guys have put out. At least there's no real bitterness (how sad to read the rancor between the Beatles and Black Sabbath) and they all seem friendly towards one another as well as working together now and then. Also, they still seemed blessed with good health unlike a lot of their peers from that era who didn't pass away (Kudos to Alice for staying on the wagon and Dennis getting a leg up on his Crohn's Disease. I worry about Mike as he is so heavy and wish he would shed some pounds for his health).
5-Most importantly, they all were nothing but nice to me when I met them (I felt like a teenager when I first met Mike Neal and Dennis, although I was cooler the second time), posing for pictures, signing things, answering questions they had probably already answered a 1000 times before and some fun conversation (especially with Dennis and Cindy). It made me love them more and be a bigger fan. I truly wish I could have met Glen-he would probably have had a lot of fun at the conventions and at least things were on an uphill swing for him before he passed-his engagement to Lori, his TV show and playing with his friends/bandmates one last time. Check out the photos and footage of the Area 51 show-how happy he looks! Whenever I visit my brother in Kansas City MO, I think I will take a road trip to Clarion IA to visit Glen's grave, pay my respects and probably have another good cry.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: The Alice Cooper album of the Day: MUSCLE OF LOVE

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:27 pm

I never liked this album to be honest!!
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

old school vet
Killer
Killer

Post by old school vet » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:05 pm

I love this album, and can't undestand why it's been knocked so much.

Street Schizo
Killer
Killer

Post by Street Schizo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:43 am

I like this album very much. However it seems like a step backward from B$B. It just didn't go to the next level. I think there's some great classics on here and it's too bad Ezrin was not involved. The packaging was cool for a fan but it probably wasn't something that attracted your average record buyer. IMO. The only song I don't like too much is Working Up A Sweat. Otherwise it is good, solid album. It's just wasn't as good as the previous 4 masterpieces. The main riff in MOL is still one of the greatest riffs in rock n'roll.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:20 am

got to number 10 on the charts. I'd take that any day!

Model Citizen
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Model Citizen » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:38 pm

I've just always felt the album lacked a strong identity like its predecessors. Granted, I suppose the same could be said for L&W, but there's a feeling of less commitment or conviction in a lot of these songs. Going through the motions, as it were. There are a handful of cuts that I dig, like the title track, Hard Hearted Alice & Crazy Little Child. Never Been Sold Before & Workin Up a Sweat are both enjoyable, but they come off as merely pleasant rather than bonafide highlights. The rest? Meh.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:34 pm

I think side 1 of MOL and MWTGG from side 2 are as good as anything the ACG has done. Such variety and creativity.

Ted

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:34 pm

While all Alice albums have some great songs on them, this is probably my least favorite Alice album.

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:19 am

Has a few weak tracks but I love most of the songs.
Teenage Lament 74, Crazy Little Child, Muscle Of Love, Hard-Hearted Alice, Working Up A Sweat and a couple of others are really great tracks.

Woman Machine is one of the tracks that I'm not fond of though.
All Of My Life Was A Laugh And A Joke
And A Drink And A Smoke
And Then I Passed Out On The Floor

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:28 am

Love this LP. Anyone ever notice how similar the riff to Nazareth's "Hair of the Dog" is to "Never Been Sold Before"?

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:21 am

When I saw this thread I stuck the album on and realised how little I have played it in recent years, maybe cos I only have it on vinyl. I really like it. The band were obviously looking to push the music into different area's which perhaps give's the album an uneven feel and maybe there isn't that one defining track but it shows the bands talent and diversity and the humour was definately to the fore. I love crazy little child, teenage lament and hard hearted Alice. Musically I find it very similar to 'Battle Axe'.

guilty65
Killer
Killer

Post by guilty65 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:47 am

I heard MOL right after BDB... I was so disappoited at the songs production and artwork. It was this effort that I started backing off Alice Cooper for a bit. How do you go from Billion Dollar babies to a card board cover that is so bland. (No answer needed) I'm being a wise guy. A few good songs...But there isnt much on this disk that I am happy with.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:51 am

guilty65 wrote:I heard MOL right after BDB... I was so disappoited at the songs production and artwork. It was this effort that I started backing off Alice Cooper for a bit. How do you go from Billion Dollar babies to a card board cover that is so bland. (No answer needed) I'm being a wise guy. A few good songs...But there isnt much on this disk that I am happy with.
I agree about the packaging. I think that after the genius of the schools out desk and the bdb wallet they were searching for something. I have read Ernie's description of the thought process behind the concept but it just doesn't come off. I think that is the main 'problem' with the album as a whole that the band seem to be striving for a theme where there isn't one. I also remember reading that the cardboard box packaging made it difficult for record shops to stock and display the album and this could have affected sales.

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:15 pm

Hi Tuneylune, great review. Are you a professional critic? If not, ever thought of it? You are very good at making reviews.
[

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:06 pm

Thanks very much for your kind words :) Was a Journalism major in College, but flunked out. Have done some writing for local papers and for a few fansites, notably CREEPYCLASSICS.COM (which mainly deals with older horror films), but nothing along AMUK lines. Just writing about things I love...
"I need everything the world owes me..."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:28 pm

>(which mainly deals with older horror films), but nothing along AMUK lines.

I haven't done that much and besides even if I had, that shouldn't stop you - just keep writing.

Easy... For You
Trash
Trash

Post by Easy... For You » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:35 pm

Diane D. wrote:Hi Tuneylune, great review. Are you a professional critic? If not, ever thought of it? You are very good at making reviews.
I agree Diane D..... I find Tuneylune's reviews to read before and after I re-listen to each album!

rtbuck
Killer
Killer

Post by rtbuck » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:53 am

I always wondered if this was out of print in the late 70's because when I became a fan of Cooper in 1977 & was buying his albums I could never find this album in any record stores. Around 1979 or so I found a used cassette of it in a small record shop. It was pretty beat up(the cassette was pink & the case was different...it was a black plastic shell with the cover on it...you didn't open the case,the tape just slid into the shell).

Anyway, I loved the album especially "Never Been Sold Before". The cassette must've been chewed up because just before & after Alice sings "...little whore" on that tune the sound was pretty warbled but it actually sounded cool!

Sometime around 1980 me & a friend went to one of our local record shops & they had a bunch of vinyl Muscle of Love's in the cut out bins for $2.99 so I bought one & thought the inner sleeve & book cover were super cool

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:21 am

Scratched my 1st MOL pretty badly but also found cut-out a few years later. Traded the original to the Record Co-OP in College Park, MD for 50 cents! (for the cover) but, better than hanging onto it because I wouldn't want to trash it. (Pun intended). :evil: :rock: Thanks for jogging that old memory! :grin:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:51 pm

just heard Bonny and Clyde on the radio lately, and it made me think about crazy little child...
pure coïncidence probably
you really wouldn't understand..