The Alice Cooper album of the Day: DADA

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Paulimo
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Re: The Alice Cooper album of the Day: DADA

Post by Paulimo » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:51 pm

One of his very best, no filler. Plus, there is a story running through it if you choose to see it that way.

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:08 pm

Street Schizo wrote:It was many years before I could I see what made this album worth listening too. I hated that Fairlight keyboard thing going on throughout the album. I wished the guitars and drums were more in your face. I felt the songs needed a little more teeth. I kept coming back to it only to shake my head and wonder what the hell were they thinking and then one day about five years ago I put it on again. Only because a friend kept pestering me about how she couldn't believe I didn't like this album. That's when I started to get into it a little. Then after a few more listens I said, "Wow I'm actually really digging this album now." I think it was just the wrong album at the time. Constrictor (like it or not) was the album he needed to make. All those "metal"bands in the 80's were completely influenced and inspired by Alice. It was time. Going heavy on the horror helped put him back on the map. And Trash launched right back full time. Thank God for that. Would have hated to see him on game shows for the rest of his life
Hello,

Regarding Alice's music, I don't see why guitars and drums should always be more in your face. Don't you like Alice's voice? I like all the albums and the diversity of all the songs and the way he renew himself all the time.
[

Street Schizo
Killer
Killer

Post by Street Schizo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:03 pm

[quote="Diane D."
Regarding Alice's music, I don't see why guitars and drums should always be more in your face. Don't you like Alice's voice? I like all the albums and the diversity of all the songs and the way he renew himself all the time.[/quote]

Hi Diane,
Point taken. The drums and guitars don't always need to be in your face. I do like Alice's voice just fine. I wasn't very happy with the overall sound of DaDa. Especially the cheesy Fairlight thing Ezrin was experimenting with at the time. I thought with the subject matter and the age in which the album came out it may have faired better with a little more of a rock element. It took me years to appreciate this album. I didn't even know that it came out at the time. It was a few years after it was released to when I discovered it. And it just seemed like it was out in left field for me. I just didn't get it.

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:34 pm

Although I quite like Dada it is not in my view a classic Album although the themes are fine. For me its contributors including Alice sound tired, the energy levels are low. Dicks guitar work although I am sure is technically excellent lacks passion, with the possible exception of Pass The Gun Around, and the drums both sound and parts are completely naff.

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:11 pm

Diane D. wrote:Dada is my favorite album, except for Dyslexia.
Yeah, I'm not overly keen on that track either.
All Of My Life Was A Laugh And A Joke
And A Drink And A Smoke
And Then I Passed Out On The Floor