The Alice Cooper album of the Day: THE LAST TEMPTATION

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

The Alice Cooper album of the Day: THE LAST TEMPTATION

Post by tuneylune » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:51 pm

Absolutely one of my favorites and one of the best he has ever done. Remember right before this came out, had read in METAL EDGE about the Box Set which got me all hotted up and I looked at this as sort of an appetizer (who could have guessed it would take almost five years before the Box set came out?). Certainly liked it, especially "Lost In America", which I thought was funny (but not so much when all the American school shootings started happening a couple of years later when I had a daughter in Jr. High) and actually heard it on the radio quite a bit-why it wasn't a hit single is a mystery. I listened to it off and on and almost a year later, had a new car with a great sound system and started taking it in more and more , falling in love with all the great songs and hearing things I had missed-for me, the car is the best place to listen to an album. This reminded me a lot of Led Zep's PRESENCE as one of those recordings that takes a little time to sink in.
Coops vocals are very well produced on this, particularly on "Sideshow", "Nothing's Free", "Bad Place Alone", "You're My Temptation". "Stolen Prayer" and "Lullaby" He and Chris Cornell sound great on "Stolen Prayer" and although "Cleansed by Fire" is the logical song to close the story, it's- the only one I'm not really crazy about-I find "It's Me" to be absolutely superb, probably the best ballad he has done since those wild and crazy seventies efforts. In a perfect world, this would have been a huge hit with an awesome stage show , but sadly, it was not, but at least he put quite a lot of this material in the show over the next few years. An essential album and very deserving of its *****
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: The Alice Cooper album of the Day: THE LAST TEMPTATION

Post by Diane D. » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:12 pm

You are trying to hard to analyse albums... just listen...
[

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:20 pm

That's what people do here is analyze stuff and talk about it, otherwise there's no point in a forum.

TLT is one of my favorite Alice albums, I think his best stuff is usually his concept albums. Favorite tracks: Nothings Free and Bad Place Alone.

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:32 pm

darkmenace wrote:That's what people do here is analyze stuff and talk about it, otherwise there's no point in a forum.

TLT is one of my favorite Alice albums, I think his best stuff is usually his concept albums. Favorite tracks: Nothings Free and Bad Place Alone.
Yeah... you're right. Sorry, I will leave you to your discussion. :yawn:

I prefer to listen to the music than to discuss about it.
[

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:15 pm

Diane D. wrote:
darkmenace wrote:That's what people do here is analyze stuff and talk about it, otherwise there's no point in a forum.

Yeah... you're right. Sorry, I will leave you to your discussion. :yawn:

I prefer to listen to the music than to discuss about it.
Yip you are probably better leaving as a forum is where you talk about the music.
I love TLT, one of my all time favourites, I believe it got to Number 4 in the uk so was a huge hit here and lost in America was a top 40 hit. I love the concept behind the album, the packaging and comic were a great idea as well and, in contrast with ACAS, the music more than backed it up. Alice's voice is probably at it's best on this album, in fact I'm going to listen to it right now! So maybe Diane was right after all.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:49 am

Diane D. wrote:I prefer to listen to the music than to discuss about it.
Then I'm not sure why you're here.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:56 am

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
Diane D. wrote:I prefer to listen to the music than to discuss about it.
Then I'm not sure why you're here.
:/

I am the worst fan in the whole world! :(
[

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:11 pm

I liked the album. Thought it was wonderfully written. My only complaint was the heavy hand by the producer. Parts of it were to slick for my personal taste. The amazing thing about these songs was that a few got played live in the late 90's and they totally rocked out on stage. They took on a whole different attitude and were just plain nasty.

Street Schizo
Killer
Killer

Post by Street Schizo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:38 pm

I really liked this album at the time. But to be honest, it doesn't get as many spins anymore. I guess it didn't really stand the test of time for me. Stolen Prayer and Cleansed By Fire were highlights for me. Lullaby, Bad Place Alone and You're My Temptation were kind of lowlights (if that's even a word). The rest weren't anything spectacular. Just good.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:26 pm

>My only complaint was the heavy hand by the producer.

Which one are you referring to?

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:23 pm

Diane D, ignore the comments, you can reply to anything on here.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:47 pm

TLT, GR8 album...good comment kevinuk81..we need different opinions imo even if they all disagree..disagreeing without being disagreeable..have to dip into my lennon collection for some peace and love...the great thing is we all get challenged(its happened to me) on this site from time to time..e.g. if we say something with no evidence etc..for me as I say TLT was gr8 in that this was a mature Alice, perhaps for me sounding a bit earnest for a rock star bit it was one of my two fave albums of year..other being Division Bell
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:50 pm

I love the album. I don't listen to it that often (not sure why) but it has some really great tracks. Stolen Prayer, Lullaby and It's Me are highlights for me.

A lot of my friends find the album to be too religious. I'm an Atheist and I love the album. I don't see how the religious theme could stop them enjoying the album lol.
All Of My Life Was A Laugh And A Joke
And A Drink And A Smoke
And Then I Passed Out On The Floor

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:41 pm

kevinuk81 wrote:Diane D, ignore the comments, you can reply to anything on here.
Thank you, Kevin.
[

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:30 am

Street Schizo wrote:Lullaby, Bad Place Alone and You're My Temptation were kind of lowlights (if that's even a word).
Wow,three great songs.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:34 am

recoop wrote:good comment kevinuk81..we need different opinions imo even if they all disagree..disagreeing without being disagreeable..
Ironic.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:16 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>My only complaint was the heavy hand by the producer.

Which one are you referring to?
And that would be the point. TLT is a perfect example of too many chef's in the kitchen. I would have stuck with Don Flemin for the whole thing.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:18 pm

This album ranks up there with anything Alice has ever done and that includes the original band. This would make my Top 5. I would love to hear Alice bring back "Nothing's Free."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:04 pm

>And that would be the point. TLT is a perfect example of too many chef's in the kitchen.

I know what you mean but that theory can only apply if all the producers worked together on all the tracks and kept disagreeing but that isn't what happened. They all worked on different tracks, as I'm sure you know.

>I would have stuck with Don Flemin for the whole thing.

That is a valid point (and it's always worth being specific).

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:58 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>And that would be the point. TLT is a perfect example of too many chef's in the kitchen.

I know what you mean but that theory can only apply if all the producers worked together on all the tracks and kept disagreeing but that isn't what happened. They all worked on different tracks, as I'm sure you know.

>I would have stuck with Don Flemin for the whole thing.

That is a valid point (and it's always worth being specific).
And you can tell they worked on different tracks when listening to the album. There seems a lack of cohesiveness in parts of the album and production styles from one producer to the other. The direction seems to meander from song to song. At least that's what I picked up upon listening to it. Still do when listening to it today.