Last Temptation to Brutal Planet

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tim10cc
Killer
Killer

Last Temptation to Brutal Planet

Post by tim10cc » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:18 pm

Last Temptation was a brilliant album, comic book good story, great album.

I thought the album from start to finish was good play. I was hoping that there would of been more resources available to pump into a tour for this album. I really thought much could be done.

The album was fitting enough for the Cyclops to return back on stage and for Alice to sing about his Nightmare again.

I was thankful a few years later Alice did Carnival Tour where we got to see live performances of "Sideshow" "Nothings Free" and "Cleansed by fire"...Unfortunately that year the St Louis venue for this tour was 6 Flags and the acoustics were poor.

In my head I thought to myself "There's no way Alice is going to top Last Temptation" The album in a way reminded me of "From the inside"

During the 6 years between Last temptation & Brutal planet, we got "A fistful of Alice" ..after that release I was convinced Alice was done releasing albums. "Is anyone home" had a music feel like it could of fit on "Last temptation" which I was ok with.

I remember hearing Alice was back in the studio around April of 2000. I had a dial up modem and I believe the official Alice website made the song Brutal Planet available for download. I remember waiting forever for the download. I didn't know what to expect but when I heard the first 45 seconds of the song, my face dropped..I was left in ahhhh! As I stated before I thought it would be impossible for Alice to top "Last temptation" I went around to other local Alice fans just convinced of this. I just had this engraved in my head.

June 6 2000 was my 31 Birthday. It was also the Day "Brutal Planet " released in the U.S and Alice proved me wrong. My face dropped , I thought to myself what an intense concept album. There was too many to name as my favorites but Brutal Planet, Wicked Young Man & Sanctuary, Gimme where ones that stick out. I remember some of the fans I knew in St. Louis claiming it was too metal for for their taste. I wondered at the time if Alice decided to go heavy or did he just want to prove he could so. Lyrically the album was flawless and I also thought maybe Alice wanted to get his point across with heavier music.

But yes, Alice was able to top Last Temptation...and SHOCKED me with Brutal Planet. I was much thankful for a proper tour for this album where he played more than 2 tracks from it.

So between the 2...which is your favorite..Last temptation? or Brutal Planet...what do you think?
The road to hell is littered with nice guys with good intentions.

old school vet
Killer
Killer

Re: Last Temptation to Brutal Planet

Post by old school vet » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:45 pm

I don't know why, but I just can't get into Last Temptation. I know that there are some great tracks on the album and that it is very well produced and the lyrics and music are fantastic etc etc etc but no matter how many times I listen to it, nothing clicks...

Brutal Planet on the other hand, clicked straight away and hit's the right spot time after time.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:02 pm

These are both two of his BEST ever-love both of them and, heaven help me :bam: :bam: I just can't choose one over the other-if a gun was put to my head, I guess I would go with THE LAST TEMPTATION (but would keep my fingers crossed!)
"I need everything the world owes me..."

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:00 pm

I have the last temptation in the top tier of Alice albums while Brutal planet is near the bottom. I was so disappointed when it came out. I just didn't like that nu-metal feel of BP and dragontown.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:59 pm

TLT is brilliant. A masterpiece. Extremely strong from the first to the last song and the quality of the music and lyrics are up there with anything Alice has done post-ACG.

While BP is a very good album, musically it's not as consistent and well done as TLT. The best stuff on BP is fantastic, however there are 3 or 4 songs on BP that are largely filler.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:12 am

I like them both for different reasons, hard to choose one over the other but maybe a slight edge to TLT because there's a tight story and the comic book was cool. At first I was put off by the hard edge nu metal sound of BP but once I got past that I liked it.

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Inmate » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:46 am

Two great albums, but I would choose Brutal Planet because I listened to it all the time when I was younger and it reminds me of good times like that.
"I'm just another case…”

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:10 am

The Last Temptation is definitely a masterpiece. Not just musically, but in terms of story and structure. However, being a metal guy, I gotta say that I prefer Brutal Planet. That album just blew me away. I remember being really blown away by Pick Up The Bones, Brutal Planet and Cold Machines.

Alice was 52 at the time and his vocals sounded 10 times better than most of the metal singers half his age. That's still the case today imo.
All Of My Life Was A Laugh And A Joke
And A Drink And A Smoke
And Then I Passed Out On The Floor

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:45 pm

Both are amazing albums but I'm going with Brutal Planet!!
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:23 pm

TLT was and is magnificent

BP was a great statement of intent, and although it sounds a bit aged now, is still a very strong album

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:47 pm

Brutal Planet, purely because it was the first Alice tour I ever saw! Some absolutely superb tracks on it!

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:34 pm

Brutal Planet. For the CD. I didn't see the tour, but I have the DVD.
[

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:25 pm

In my opinion easily Alice's two best in the last several years (I really like the Hey Stoopid album before TLT as well, find that one very underrated). The Last Temptation gets a slight nod, but Brutal Planet is a masterpiece as well.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:07 pm

Love BP. Just floored me with the heaviness of the songs. Listening to it was like getting pummeled about the body with a baseball bat and being left curled on the floor in a fetal position. And coming from a guy who was in his 50's and had not released anything new in a few years was surprising and showed the music world he had something to say and was going to be around for a bit longer. The tour was fantastic too.

Spot and Jerome
Killer
Killer

Post by Spot and Jerome » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:01 pm

Musically I prefer TLT, but I agree BP was a big surprise come back followed by a great tour, so I'd say TLT with my head, BP with my heart.
To forgive is divine, but vengeance is mine