Battle of the '70's ballads

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Battle of the '70's ballads

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:09 am

Among the 4 classic '70's ballads (Only Women Bleed, I Never Cry, You & Me, and How You Gonna See Me Now?) which is your favorite and why? Guess I'll go first & it's not easy. Gotta say You & Me because of its theme and lyrics although Never Cry has my favorite song lyric ever- "Sometimes I drink more than I need."

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Battle of the '70's ballads

Post by darkmenace » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:49 am

Only Women Bleed is beautiful, one of Alice's best moments.

I also like How You Gonna See Me Now, a solid song and the definition of a power ballad.

My least favorites are INC and Y&M, could easily live without both although INC isn't a bad live song.

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Inmate » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:42 am

HYGSMN is my favorite.
"I'm just another case…”

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:15 am

They are all so good, ok Only woman bleed, I never cry, How you gonna see me now and you and me.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:45 am

how you gonna see me now,for me personally. Like to see him pull that out next tour if it fits in! I think it was rehearsed in '96 for the fistful tour...

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:35 am

Only women is the strongest song.

Spot and Jerome
Killer
Killer

Post by Spot and Jerome » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:03 am

As much as I can't stand ballads, OWB is an amazing song, with an amazing arrangement and orchestration, definitely AC's best ballad ever IMO.
To forgive is divine, but vengeance is mine

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:47 pm

I'm gonna go with I Never Cry. Not my favourite Cooper ballad, but easily my favourite out of those 4.
All Of My Life Was A Laugh And A Joke
And A Drink And A Smoke
And Then I Passed Out On The Floor

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Love all of them, but am sick of OWB in concert, but agree it is amazing the way the song is arranged (and it also got my Mom off her "I hate Alice" kick enough for her to buy me SCHOOL'S OUT and BILLION DOLLAR BABIES at the same time!!). In order, I like HYGSMN, INC, YAM and OWB.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:30 pm

I Never Cry.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

TodayMueller
Killer
Killer

Post by TodayMueller » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:28 am

I'm indifferent. Don't think Alice should do ballads at all. So, I guess I'll go for OWB beacuse that started it.
Have no gods before me, I'm the light !

TodayMueller
Killer
Killer

Post by TodayMueller » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:27 am

TodayMueller wrote:I'm indifferent. Don't think Alice should do ballads at all. So, I guess I'll go for OWB beacuse that started it.
Well, that didn't make sence. What I meant was OWB is the worst IMO 'cause it started the ballad thing for Alice.
Have no gods before me, I'm the light !

old school vet
Killer
Killer

Post by old school vet » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:58 pm

I'm going for OWB, not only because I like it, but because of the amount of cover versions. It is obviously considered a top song from those in the know!

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:56 pm

Spot and Jerome wrote:As much as I can't stand ballads, OWB is an amazing song, with an amazing arrangement and orchestration, definitely AC's best ballad ever IMO.
Couldn't have put it better myself.
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:37 pm

I like all the ballads, from Alice and the other rock bands.
[

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:04 am

It's a good question. Firstly, I DO like rock ballads - especially Cooper ones as he writes and sings them VERY well indeed. My favourite of the four is HYGSMN and I'm not too sure why....I think it is just the melody and lyrics. You and Me is cheesy lyrically (IMO) and just a bit too laid back (it's not rock ballad but just plain 'easy listening'; I never cry is a bit too mellow for me; and with OWB - well, I don't really like the lyrics - I have nothing against femanism whatsoever, but I don't want a ballad about female abuse.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:05 pm

Not sure about Alice and ballads at all... but if I had to choose one from these 4, it would be OWB..I like the part black eyes..he seems to turn into Neil Diamond at one point...but I feel ballads are things he should have written for others...I think the Carpenters could have covered OWB brilliantly...Im not sure if its a ballad but my favourite softer sort of song is No Tricks...that builds up powerfully like OWB..basically I suppose I like songs where Alice gets to growl and other shows the power in his voice (e.g. Build up to Hello Hurray "God I feel so strong")...any song written to allows Alice to show the power in his voice and sprinkled with some Mike Bruce chords and I'm happy...
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:23 pm

recoop wrote:Not sure about Alice and ballads at all... but if I had to choose one from these 4, it would be OWB..I like the part black eyes..he seems to turn into Neil Diamond at one point...but I feel ballads are things he should have written for others...I think the Carpenters could have covered OWB brilliantly...Im not sure if its a ballad but my favourite softer sort of song is No Tricks...that builds up powerfully like OWB..basically I suppose I like songs where Alice gets to growl and other shows the power in his voice (e.g. Build up to Hello Hurray "God I feel so strong")...any song written to allows Alice to show the power in his voice and sprinkled with some Mike Bruce chords and I'm happy...
Personally, I love his ballads, they are genuinely emotional and show the variety of his voice as well as his versatility as a song writer. I think it also gives him respect in the non-rock fraternity, Sinatra covering you and me etc. Also I do think that an album is helped by songs with varying tempo's and genres. I love AC/DC but find I get bored listening to a whole album cos they are generally at pretty much the same tempo through-out. I love 'no tricks' but I think my favourite Alice ballad is The Quiet room.

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:02 pm

Gunner wrote:It's a good question. Firstly, I DO like rock ballads - especially Cooper ones as he writes and sings them VERY well indeed. My favourite of the four is HYGSMN and I'm not too sure why....I think it is just the melody and lyrics. You and Me is cheesy lyrically (IMO) and just a bit too laid back (it's not rock ballad but just plain 'easy listening'; I never cry is a bit too mellow for me; and with OWB - well, I don't really like the lyrics - I have nothing against femanism whatsoever, but I don't want a ballad about female abuse.
I beleive that HYGSMN and You and Me were both written for his wife, Cheryl, so when you say that it's cheesy, you are insulting Cheryl. And maybe, you don't want to hear about female abuse, but it does exist, and maybe this song helped some women to get out of their abusive situation or has given them some comfort.
[

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:06 pm

recoop wrote:Not sure about Alice and ballads at all... but if I had to choose one from these 4, it would be OWB..I like the part black eyes..he seems to turn into Neil Diamond at one point...but I feel ballads are things he should have written for others...I think the Carpenters could have covered OWB brilliantly...Im not sure if its a ballad but my favourite softer sort of song is No Tricks...that builds up powerfully like OWB..basically I suppose I like songs where Alice gets to growl and other shows the power in his voice (e.g. Build up to Hello Hurray "God I feel so strong")...any song written to allows Alice to show the power in his voice and sprinkled with some Mike Bruce chords and I'm happy...
Frankly, when I want to hear some growling sounds, I just have to see my neighbor's dog, hi,hi.... When you talk about power in voice, then I would go see Alice, not the same thing.
[