The Alice Cooper album of the Day: ALONG CAME A SPIDER

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

The Alice Cooper album of the Day: ALONG CAME A SPIDER

Post by tuneylune » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:27 pm

I remember most of you did not seem to like this at all when it came out. For my money, it's a good effort with a really creepy story line, but I find the album to be overproduced and we are bludgeoned over and over by the plot. There are some great songs on here, especially "I know where you Live" (which would be awesome on stage), "Vengeance is Mine" with superb lead guitar by Slash, "In touch with your Feminine Side", "I'm Hungry" and "I am The Spider", but there is a lot of filler and it might have worked better as a more bare bones project. Good graphics on the inside and booklet. This won't be a constant player, but I can listen to it now and again without too much pain.***
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Re: The Alice Cooper album of the Day: ALONG CAME A SPIDER

Post by Railwayman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:45 pm

After the superb build up and previews I was expecting an epic. Concept certainly interesting.
What a let down, not played it for months, possibly almost a year. As you say, a few good points but overall, terrible.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:58 pm

I like it.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:51 pm

I never listen to it either, very disappointing musically. Could have been epic.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:44 pm

I'm the same, very occasionaly I dig it out and try to give it another listen but always switch it off frustrated. It got so much publicity, great artwork, the three track video on youtube was excellent, if only the album had been able to match the hype it would have been huge.

Holly Grail
Killer
Killer

Post by Holly Grail » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:13 am

Some really good songs in it.One thing that i've never seen to be mentioned is the dissapointing song made with Ozzy(he only played harmonica)..those monsters together could have made a CLASSIC-EPIC song but... they chose to .. wake the dead :8):

Street Schizo
Killer
Killer

Post by Street Schizo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:45 am

kevinuk81 wrote:I like it.
Me too.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:06 am

darkmenace wrote:I never listen to it either, very disappointing musically. Could have been epic.
I agree

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:09 am

There are very times when I will look at something and say "I can do better than that." This is one of those few times.

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Inmate » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:44 am

I think it's very cool!
"I'm just another case…”

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:28 am

Would have made a damn good stage show. The album would have been much better with a lighter hand in the production. With a Stripped down production this could have been a killer rock release.

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:52 pm

Holly Grail wrote:Some really good songs in it.One thing that i've never seen to be mentioned is the dissapointing song made with Ozzy(he only played harmonica)..those monsters together could have made a CLASSIC-EPIC song but... they chose to .. wake the dead :8):
From what I understand Alice didn't actually do the song with Ozzy. Ozzy's harmonica playing was gonna be used for one of his own songs. Ozzy decieded he wasn't gonna use it and Alice got permision to use it for himself instead. But yeah, I would love to see them do something together again, especially a tour. They are my two favorite singers of all time actually!!
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:52 pm

I agree about the bad production choices. I believe the lp could have been much better. I have heard a much longer, and more intricate, version of Killed By Love, which was fantastic. What was used was pretty much the demo guitar.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:24 am

ThePainAddict wrote:I agree about the bad production choices. I believe the lp could have been much better. I have heard a much longer, and more intricate, version of Killed By Love, which was fantastic. What was used was pretty much the demo guitar.
And how did you heard that version?
Do you have this on tape?
Are there outtakes circulating?

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:28 pm

the tell tale sign that an album was a complete dud is when nothing ever gets played off it again after it's release...anyone hear "vengeance" or "feminine side" lately? and it's only been out a few years. having said that,I just played it,and I rather like it,but echo what others have said: it should have been so much more.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:37 pm

I liked it at outset overall and still do...don't like the handclapping and too pop for me in some places...but in some ways it was given a more complete launch at outset imo than welcome 2 in that there was a mini movie with slash and I liked the design of the insert for cd ( sleeve?-cant recall what you call it-very roger cormanesque)...of course we don't know what is yet to come in terms of support for Welcomee 2...anyway a good album that had some dark and humorous moments..i liked the movie/video..so pretty good. :rock:
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:30 pm

recoop wrote:I liked it at outset overall and still do...don't like the handclapping and too pop for me in some places...but in some ways it was given a more complete launch at outset imo than welcome 2 in that there was a mini movie with slash and I liked the design of the insert for cd ( sleeve?-cant recall what you call it-very roger cormanesque)...of course we don't know what is yet to come in terms of support for Welcomee 2...anyway a good album that had some dark and humorous moments..i liked the movie/video..so pretty good. :rock:
Love it. Love the songs, the movie, the story... Can't be too pop for me.
[

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:16 pm

I liked it at outset overall and still do...don't like the handclapping and too pop for me in some places...but in some ways it was given a more complete launch at outset imo than welcome 2 in that there was a mini movie
I totally agree. I loved the mini movie for ACAS but I don't like the album as much as W2MN. A mini movie like that for W2MN would have been a major promotion since W2MN was a "sequel" to a classic album. My understanding is the opportunity did not present itself for a mini movie for W2MN as it did for ACAS but I may be mistaken.

As much as I don't enjoy ACAS I like the album art better. For me poor album art lowers my enjoyment of an Alice album because the Alice experience combines concept and visuals with the music. I thought the cover art for ACAS was good, mysterious, classy, but the less said about the W2MN cover and art the better.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:15 pm

>the tell tale sign that an album was a complete dud is when nothing ever gets played off it again after it's release...

Do you mean on the radio? If so, that isn't really an indication.

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:56 pm

scotty wrote:the tell tale sign that an album was a complete dud is when nothing ever gets played off it again after it's release...anyone hear "vengeance" or "feminine side" lately? and it's only been out a few years. having said that,I just played it,and I rather like it,but echo what others have said: it should have been so much more.
Then again, I never heard those on the radio to begin with....nor any song off W2MN, or any song more recent than "Poison." So, that's not really a great indicator. (Alice's own show not being counted.)
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!