OLD SCHOOL 1964-1974 one year later...

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

OLD SCHOOL 1964-1974 one year later...

Post by tuneylune » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:39 pm

Was very excited when I heard of this coming out, although the price made me question if KISS was somehow behind it. My daughter had a credit with Amazon and I was able to get a somewhat less expensive copy, which helped. I certainly read the many pages by you concerning and this is my take. I truly enjoy the two "Treasures"-Glen playing almost the exact solo on "Fields of Regret" and "Killer", Neal (?) doing the vocal on the second rough sounding "Teenage Lament '74", the glorious "School's Out" from Sol Y Mar concert, the joshing between the band before "Luney Tune", the quite good KILLER demos, thinking how much this version of "Never Been Sold Before" sounds a Foghat number with all the slide guitar, being happy to hear any thing from EASY ACTION and the live cuts. And, as hard as it is to get through the 11 minute 'I'm Eighteen", it does show how much Bob Ezrin helped them tighten up. Overall, it shows how GOOD Glen was and it makes me sad how his health and ability went to hell because of the rock star lifestyle.
The swag included is fun and of course, the live KILLER CD is fantastic.
Main complaint is much of the interviews is on the DVD and said DVD is barely an hour and a half. I know they were trying to get the set out, but they certainly could have put in more material (Don't we always want more?). Leave the third disc as is and put interviews not on it on the DVD, put on more footage like DON KIRSCNER's ROCK CONCERT, BEAT CLUB and TOP OF THE TOPS. Would love to have seen interviews with Shep Gordon Cindy Smith, various rockers like Elton John, Slash and others from the era or who were inspired. In a nutshell, it just seems rushed and incomplete and would have been happy to wait longer and even pay the asking price (and I did some serious saving up for this) for more stuff.
On the whole, I certainly love this and would give it four stars. 2011 was not the best year for me personally and having this helped make it more bearable ( as well as seeing the band get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Alice coming back with a stellar album), but just wish there could have been more, like SCHOOL'S OUT and MUSCLE OF LOVE concert CD's, but I will take what I can get.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: OLD SCHOOL 1964-1974 one year later...

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:55 pm

>Main complaint is much of the interviews is on the DVD and said DVD is barely an hour and a half.

I am almost certain it's longer than that.

>put on more footage like DON KIRSCNER's ROCK CONCERT, BEAT CLUB and TOP OF THE TOPS.

This was all discussed at great length at the time, so do take a look at those discussions.

>In a nutshell, it just seems rushed and incomplete

Again, this was all discussed.

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:10 am

A thought track 8 of treasures one at 8:17 mark. Alice sings yup yup a few times . Was this inspired by the yup yup telephone aliens of sesame street. Which was introduced the same year as Eighteen was?

I really do enjoy this box set. Listen to some of the tracks atleast once per week

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:56 pm

It had some strong points but to the avid collector of AC music, it comes up short. I could of put together a much better track list that would of satisfied every ACG music collector out there.

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:03 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:It had some strong points but to the avid collector of AC music, it comes up short. I could of put together a much better track list that would of satisfied every ACG music collector out there.
Do tell

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:12 pm

VinceRaven wrote:
Toronto Bob wrote:It had some strong points but to the avid collector of AC music, it comes up short. I could of put together a much better track list that would of satisfied every ACG music collector out there.
Do tell
Nothing secretive about it, just using logic. I gave lengthy reviews on this board about the set's musical content and was dismayed at the omission of some tracks, the editing of others and the noise reduction used. All true, all valid, inspite of what amuk is bound to swoop in and say. I also gave praise to the set where it deserved it.

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:33 pm

I wasn't being sarcastic, just interested in the ideas for tracks. I remember reading stuff in the original thread now.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:12 pm

>I could of put together a much better track list that would of satisfied every ACG music collector out there

Do you now represent "every ACG music collector out there or know what "every ACG music collector out there" thinks? If so, I don't think any of us knew that. It looks like that information needs to go onto the "News" page and I hope the owner of this site will immediately ensure that happens.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:14 pm

>All true, all valid, inspite of what amuk is bound to swoop in and say.

Since you are SO paranoid, I will play along and sweep down like a vampire onto the throat that is your post. Some of your comments were indeed "true" and "valid" and some were not, as I remember.

>I also gave praise to the set where it deserved it.

Yes, you did. That was your original position which you then forgot about to great hilarity from some of us that remembered what you had originally posted.

Another_Luney_Tune
Trash
Trash

Post by Another_Luney_Tune » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:17 am

I been a fan of the ACG for at least two years now and they are still my favorite band. When I heard about the box set, I was excited really. I am glad I got it, thanks to my dad who is also a Cooper fan. I like both CDs and the DVD, though my favorite the the Live Killer Show. I wish there is more material but maybe or maybe not for the future. I glad to have this box set though. Congrats to the people who were involved with the Old School project.

Comus
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Comus » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:25 am

I really enjoyed the box set. While I would have liked to hear perhaps a greater number of songs with alternative/live takes, I have no idea what's out there, but it all made for interesting listening. I LOVE the long versions of Eighteen, as I think it's really cool to see where the somg came from originally, and for the record, I really like it!
Is someone calling me?
...No
I think I hear a voice
It's outside the door!!

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:54 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>All true, all valid, inspite of what amuk is bound to swoop in and say.

Since you are SO paranoid, I will play along and sweep down like a vampire onto the throat that is your post. Some of your comments were indeed "true" and "valid" and some were not, as I remember.

>I also gave praise to the set where it deserved it.

Yes, you did. That was your original position which you then forgot about to great hilarity from some of us that remembered what you had originally posted.
You're being obtuse. My original post noting my enthusiasm for the set was before it was released. It seemed like it was going to be what us collectors of unreleased ACG music had been waiting for.

The final track list had some excellent choices but the fact that the versions that were selected for the set, much was already in circulation, the SQ was not a significant step up and there were some glaring omissions, made the box miss its' mark.

If one were to go back to my original review, there's nothing there that is inaccurate or unfair. For the price tag and the long outdrawn release date, this set was not aimed at the "casual" fan (like the excuse TLACOAC set was given for being a bloated 4 disc release). There would be no reason to hold back tracks like a live version of ROTS, BAD, HHA or an unedited IIMB, etc.

If there were to be a Part 2 release covering the 1975-1979 era, I would make sure that I know its' musical content first before I make the purchase. The Alice Camp has shown it cannot be relied upon to deliver quality product.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:30 pm

>You're being obtuse.

That's an interesting accusation as I am often accused of being very specific in my own use of language and expecting others to be the same.

> My original post noting my enthusiasm for the set was before it was released.

Yes. How does that make a difference?

>The final track list had some excellent choices but the fact that the versions that were selected for the set,

But you knew that when you first posted.

>the SQ was not a significant step up and there were some glaring omissions, made the box miss its' mark.

You did not say ANYTHING about "SQ" in yesterday's post. You wrote "I could of put together a much better track list" and I all I did was point out that you had already approved of it in your first post in the original thread.

>If one were to go back to my original review, there's nothing there that is inaccurate or unfair.

I can only refer to the answer I already gave you on this yesterday and would invite anyone who cares to look at the thread where all this was covered.

> For the price tag and the long outdrawn release date,

What are you talking about? What "long outdrawn release date" are you referring to? I think it slipped by about three weeks or something like that. Also, if you know complaining about a "release date" that had slipped (none of which you mentioned yesterday, that is both clutching at straws and moving the goal - posts and yes, I know I am mixing metaphors.

> There would be no reason to hold back tracks like a live version of ROTS, BAD, HHA or an unedited IIMB, etc.

Here is the part you don't understand which is that if it had been left to you, the material used would have indeed been different, just as if it had been left to me, it would also have been different. If it had been left to Bon Ezrin, it would also have been different. If it had been left to Ingo Geirdal, it would have been different. If it had been left to Toby Mamis, it would have been different. We had to put a selection of material together that worked best taking in sound quality, lack of duplication, historical importance and quality of performance, so everyone involved had to make compromises. There were many discussions and exchanges on what was and what was not included. If you're not one hundred per cent happy with what chosen, then big deal because neither was I but that's what happens when you work as part of a team or a democracy or however you want to describe it. Taking everyone's views into account I was happy with the final selection. Again, I'm sure this was discussed in the original thread.

>The Alice Camp has shown it cannot be relied upon to deliver quality product.

You sound even more pompous than I do. If that's how you feel, write them a stiff letter then. Again, I'm not sure what it is you're complaining about. You started off by referring to the selection, then to the "SQ" and I'm not sure you know, either.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:35 pm

If you're not one hundred per cent happy with what chosen, then big deal because neither was I....
So then you agree with me in saying box was not all it could have been in regards to musical content. So why all the back and forth. Just say "You are so right TB", and be done with it.

As far as your democracy/working as a team thing goes - who cares about that?

Did anyone think of what would be the best value/product for the listener? How difficult would it have been to include more live MoL tracks? Just because Alice doesn't like BAD doesn't mean that fans who plunk down the money, don't want to hear a live version. And please spare us any "artisitc integrity" arguements. The set was about providing an aural history of the band and it only did a partial job of it.

So instead of this back and forth, why don't you post something a bit more interesting - like do you know anything that was suggested and specifically nixed and the reasons why. Or maybe if you would of had carte blanche, what would you have included in the set. Let's get into something more music related and drop the parsing of words and contrarian bs.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:03 pm

>So then you agree with me in saying box was not all it could have been in regards to musical content.

No! How can I when I don't know (or particularly care) what you would have chosen?! What I AM "saying" (for the second time today) is that almost everyone would have chosen different material. That is why it doesn't matter what you would have chosen or what I would have chosen, because someone somewhere would complain, just as it doesn't matter what songs Alice includes in his shows, because someone will complain. It doesn't matter what songs were left off "Muscle Of Love" because someone will complain. It doesn't matter what scenes were left out of "Citizen Kane" because someone will complain. Are you able to grasp that, or are you really that blinkered in the way you look at things? It's all very well having a discussion about it if that's what you want to do (in which case, you have a bizarre way of going about bit) but ultimately, it doesn't matter. Different people make different choices.

>So why all the back and forth.

Because so much of what you post is nonsense.

>Just say "You are so right TB",

That is the problem. You are NOT.

>As far as your democracy/working as a team thing goes - who cares about that?

You should because for better or worse, that's how a lot of things are done in the real world which you don't seem to belong to.

>Did anyone think of what would be the best value/product for the listener?

No. I can't imagine how we missed that. Thank you SO much for pointing that out! Where were you when we needed that DAZZLING insight?!

> How difficult would it have been to include more live MoL tracks?

Who said it was "difficult"?

> Just because Alice doesn't like BAD

Who said he had anything to do with it?! You are rambling to the point of incoherence.

>doesn't mean that fans who plunk down the money, don't want to hear a live version.

So what if they do? I would like someone to go out and get me some ice - cream but I don't think that's going to happen. What is your point?

>And please spare us any "artisitc integrity" arguements.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?! Who mentioned those?!

>The set was about providing an aural history of the band and it only did a partial job of it.

Maybe and maybe not. For a start, it was never meant to be definitive so I am not sure why you are sounding so twisted about this. Also, I will bet you there are people who are unhappy with "Anthology" by The Beatles, or the director's version of "Blade Runner" or "Join The Dots" by The Cure, so I'm not sure what you're point is.

>So instead of this back and forth, why don't you post something a bit more interesting -

Why don't you ASK me "something a bit more interesting" rather than starting off by making ridiculous statements and then trying to defend your position?

>Let's get into something more music related and drop the parsing of words and contrarian bs.

You are truly pathetic. Is that how you are now going to deflect attention away from everything you've posted now and make out this whole discussion is my fault?! I notice you've dropped the whole "SQ" issue. For one thing, I am not your employee, so I don't owe you anything. If you have any specific questions, I would happily consider answering them but don't use those as a smoke - screen to cover up your contributions to this thread. A normal human being (like most people here) would have just come here and just asked those kind of questions. That isn't what you did. So if you have any questions, ask them and use the appropriate adverb also.

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:22 pm

I thought the SQ was quite good considering how they were recorded. it wasn't about that. It was to show how things developed into Hits.

If keeping with the style and theme of the set. What would you add and where would you get it from? Really how much more raw stuff is out there?

I Thought the price was fair. Then again I've paid a bit just for 1 rare Alice LP.

If they do the Solo years I wonder if it will be in the shape the From the Inside album just thicker. Now that would be slick.

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:35 pm

I would absolutley love a second box set of the solo years. I really hope there is a chance of this happening.
Boomshanka

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:36 am

Since amuk has gotten so irrational (I can almost see him frothing at the keyboard) it is pointless to correct all of his ramblings.

To get back to the original thread idea, the box set one year later - I still it's a beautifully packaged overpriced set with too little uncirculated material. I guess no one in the camp took audio archiving seriously at the time and consequently we ended up with "Old School" as opposed to the awesome archival material that fans of other artists (Zappa, Genesis, Grateful Dead, Deep Purple etc).

So if the "Solo Years" box set includes the Los Angeles 1975, Saginaw 1978, San Diego 1979 and El Paso 1980 shows - we all cool with that?

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:57 am

My review of the box can be found in the older posts.
I also was disappointed with the musical content of the box (especial the dvd) but I think the whole team did a great effort to present us a great box.

However I still have the feeling that this box was made with approval of Warner Brothers but not the whole cooperation of them. Maybe I'm wrong on this so maybe someone can explain this?
For example : was it for the team possible to get material from the WB vaults?

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:16 am

Toronto Bob wrote:
So if the "Solo Years" box set includes the Los Angeles 1975, Saginaw 1978, San Diego 1979 and El Paso 1980 shows - we all cool with that?
I for one wouldn't mind an official release of these in a nicely presented package. I was delighted with how much better quality the old school version of killer in st Louis was compared to what I already had. If they could do as good a job with these 4 shows bring it on.
Boomshanka