OLD SCHOOL 1964-1974 one year later...

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: OLD SCHOOL 1964-1974 one year later...

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:23 am

>Since amuk has gotten so irrational (I can almost see him frothing at the keyboard) it is pointless to correct all of his ramblings.

Take the risk. Address my points. Or is it that you are unable to?

> with too little uncirculated material.

What as that about being "irrational"? I hate to break this to you, but the world does not revolve around you - just because YOU already have some of that material was not our concern. The majority of people who bought the item did not.

>I guess no one in the camp took audio archiving seriously at the time

What kind of "archiving" are you referring to? Have you ACTUALLY read some of the many statements Dennis Dunaway has made on this? If you have, you wouldn't have asked that that. If you haven't, you should keep quiet.

>at and consequently we ended up with "Old School" as opposed to the awesome archival material that fans of other artists (Zappa, Genesis, Grateful Dead, Deep Purple etc).

Go and write to the remaining members of the band and complain. Let us know about the replies you receive. It must be weird being you, what with being such an expert with the benefit of hindsight and everything.

>So if the "Solo Years" box set includes the Los Angeles 1975, Saginaw 1978, San Diego 1979 and El Paso 1980 shows - we all cool with that?

What makes you think Alice Cooper owns the rights to those recordings?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:25 am

>However I still have the feeling that this box was made with approval of Warner Brothers but not the whole cooperation of them. Maybe I'm wrong on this so maybe someone can explain this?

If you can explain the question, it would be helpful.

>For example : was it for the team possible to get material from the WB vaults?

What makes you think there is anything in "the WB vaults"?

ianmac
Trash
Trash

Post by ianmac » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:40 am

James1981 wrote:
Toronto Bob wrote:
So if the "Solo Years" box set includes the Los Angeles 1975, Saginaw 1978, San Diego 1979 and El Paso 1980 shows - we all cool with that?
I for one wouldn't mind an official release of these in a nicely presented package. I was delighted with how much better quality the old school version of killer in st Louis was compared to what I already had. If they could do as good a job with these 4 shows bring it on.
I tend to agree with James about this. Like many others, I do have copies of the shows mentioned by Toronto Bob but it would be great to have better sounding copies presented in a box up to the same standard as Old School.
I was delighted with the whole presentation of Old School. Sure, there were some stuff I would've liked to have seen included, but even if it had been a 10 x CD and 5 x DVD set I'm quite sure I'd still have wanted more. And yes, it was a bit pricey but I think a pint of lager is a bit pricey nowadays. Doesn't stop me buying them of course !
One question - I think I'm right in saying that Eighteen on the St Louis show has been edited, with the beginning cut out. Any particular reason for this ?

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:09 pm

[quote="A_MichaelUK"]>However I still have the feeling that this box was made with approval of Warner Brothers but not the whole cooperation of them. Maybe I'm wrong on this so maybe someone can explain this?

If you can explain the question, it would be helpful.

I really can't explain it.It is a feeling that I have. A feeling like that WB gave you the ok for the box but also said : don't bother us with it.

>

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:10 pm

>For example : was it for the team possible to get material from the WB vaults?

What makes you think there is anything in "the WB vaults"?

Brian Nelson told me a long time ago that there are more live recordings (audio and visual) in possesion of WB

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:15 pm

>I really can't explain it.It is a feeling that I have. A feeling like that WB gave you the ok for the box but also said : don't bother us with it.

No, that isn't really how it happened. Besides, it was Universal Music and Bigger Picture Group that released it.
Last edited by A_MichaelUK on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:19 pm

B>rian Nelson told me a long time ago that there are more live recordings

I thought you were referring to studio material. Yes, there are a few things but nothing particularly more interesting or very different to what was on "Old School" or that has been released before and in any case, I think one of those tracks ("School's Out" from the "Killer" tour) was used. I don't deny a few more tracks here and there could have been used, but not as many as you might think.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:28 pm

>I think I'm right in saying that Eighteen on the St Louis show has been edited, with the beginning cut out.

Yes.

> Any particular reason for this ?

Without referring to my notes (which may not contain the answer), I'm not sure I can remember. I think it was because two longer versions were already included. Perhaps DIMMA can remember.

Street Schizo
Killer
Killer

Post by Street Schizo » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:36 pm

One year later I still love this box set. I want more. Hopefully this was considered a success financially and another one would be warranted.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:19 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Main complaint is much of the interviews is on the DVD and said DVD is barely an hour and a half.

I am almost certain it's longer than that.

>put on more footage like DON KIRSCNER's ROCK CONCERT, BEAT CLUB and TOP OF THE TOPS.

This was all discussed at great length at the time, so do take a look at those discussions.

>In a nutshell, it just seems rushed and incomplete

Again, this was all discussed.
Mike, Mike, Mike...you're killing me!! :( All this post meant to say was I gave the box set a good listen a year after I purchased it (last full listen was around Xmas) and just my thoughts, opinions, feelings etc..from Me, Myself, Steven. If you read the post, you can certainly tell I'm quite happy with it, but like many others here, would have liked more. Being greedy, I know, but ACG is one of my main passions and I felt like a 13 year old again when I heard of this upcoming release.
I read the posts after I listened to it the first time and you are right as you have said before that it is pointless to keep bringing up the same things, but my life is hectic right now with lots of work and not really the time to wade through (I think?) 50 pages or so of OLD SCHOOL posts and I did not join until this past April, so topics like the band breakup (and let's face it, that is a big part of Alice's history) will always be talked about by newcomers or someone who might have a different take on it. I'm not complaining about my hectic life (as Alice said "Everybody has Problems!") and believe me, I would rather spend hours reviewing old posts, but can't
right now.
I certainly mean you no disrespect, but sometimes it seems like you feel your opinion is more important than anyone else...ALL our opinions matter and if you don't agree with it, is it really worth agonizing over it? I could not believe that DADASCOT did not like MONKEY SHINES (see Alice /George Romero post), but no harm was done (it's only his opinion and he is entitled to it) and he has put in some positive and funny comments to other posts my warped mind has come up with. Joining STUK has been lots of fun (and wished I had done so earlier)_I like all of you and any PM's have been appreciated (like ReCoop and myself talking about our crazy fuzzy avatars).
This is turning into
a speech, so will wrap up after these two: Alice Cooper, group and solo have been favorites since 1972 and especially in 1975 when I started to purchase the albums. Sadly, for me, at the end of that year, my parents began a bitter divorce with lots of vitriol and sides choosing for my brother and me. Between much moving (it sucks being the new kid in your senior year) and two new step parents (as well as years of both still taking cheap shots at each other), I was one unhappy, lonely teenager and I don't think I could have gotten through those years without those albums from the group, BATTLE AXE, WTMN and FTI
So, AMUK, relax a little bit-we're all here to have fun! I have reviewed Si's rules about old posts and will try to not repeat too much, but if it's not to your liking or you are not interested...just click out.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:55 pm

I just think about how the songs were recorded in the first place. given they are only meant to be demos and never really released. In which case only so much you can do. was it nothing more then a shoebox recorder or simple R2R setup. i can't imagine it being done in studio

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:29 pm

>If you read the post, you can certainly tell I'm quite happy with it,

I didn't say that you were not. All I did was tell you where to find more information.

> but my life is hectic right now with lots of work and not really the time to wade through (I think?)

So basically, you want someone else to do it for you instead.

> 50 pages or so of OLD SCHOOL posts

Yes, that is a lot but unfortunately there was a lot of insanity to deal with in that thread.

>and I did not join until this past April, so topics like the band breakup (and let's face it, that is a big part of Alice's history) will always be talked about by newcomers or someone who might have a different take on it.

Well, actually, that's why the owner of this site has gone to the time, trouble and expense of keeping this site going, so that as much information as possible is available to people (especially those who have a lot of questions to ask) to read and become acquainted with. Otherwise, there is no point in that information be made available.

> I certainly mean you no disrespect

It never occurred to me that you did. You have nothing to apologise for.

>but sometimes it seems like you feel your opinion is more important than anyone else...

I wish that was true!

>ALL our opinions matter and if you don't agree with it, is it really worth agonizing over it?

I don't think I've ever agonized over anything that anyone has ever posted and you shouldn't either.

> So, AMUK, relax a little bit

Who says I'm not?

>-we're all here to have fun!

That is debatable.

>but if it's not to your liking or you are not interested...just click out.

Well, that certainly sounds like an incentive for the owner of this site to keep on storing information on it.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:40 pm

>I just think about how the songs were recorded in the first place. given they are only meant to be demos and never really released.

Exactly and that disclaimer was included in the item. What we should all be grateful for is that these recordings even exist at all.

> or simple R2R setup.

Yes.

>i can't imagine it being done in studio

I think possibly some of the "Love It To Death" stuff may have been but that is all.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:30 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Since amuk has gotten so irrational (I can almost see him frothing at the keyboard) it is pointless to correct all of his ramblings.

Take the risk. Address my points. Or is it that you are unable to?
You are irrational and even this response is a waste of time, ut I'll give you an example of why it's impossible to converse with you
> How difficult would it have been to include more live MoL tracks?

Who said it was "difficult"?
See my question was of a rhetorical nature, since the board recording of MoL from Brazil was included, thereby proving the existence of a sbd from early '74, then more material from an under-represented album/tour seems a natch. Considering this was supposed to be a super-duper deluxe package (and yes it was very much hyped as being definitive - go watch Ezrin's 6 minute spiel on youtube), and the fact that the Tresures 2 disc clocked in at just over 60 minutes, the decision to excluded BaD, HHA and/or WUAS was a bad one. That should be apparent to anyone who has collected live ACG.

Your reply? Was a petulant, sarcastic, useless comment. So now I ask you, Mr. Last Word On Everything, why the hell would I bother addressing all your other points? You have never demonstrated any attempt at real conversation, all you do is sit in a nest with your sniper rifle. Some people put up with it because of your association with AC (congratulations on that btw) but I'm not interested in your type of behaviour.

Too bad, you're in a position of being a real positive asset to the board, instead you choose otherwise.

I wasn't going to post because I really don't want to bog down the board anymore, it has really gotten pointless.

Maybe because of your involvement in the project you're taking my criticisms of it personally, but that's not the intention. I just wanted a comprehensive set - for a $260 asking price it's not unreasonable.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:17 pm

>You are irrational and

I may be many things but I have never been accused of that. Is that an attempt to deflect attention away from my challenges?

>this response is a waste of time,

In that case, do not post!

> I'll give you an example of why it's impossible to converse with you

No, let me have more - after all, I pointed many of your contentious statements.

> See my question was of a rhetorical nature, since the board recording of MoL from Brazil was included, thereby proving the existence of a sbd from early '74,

STOP! WAIT! You said that I was "irrational", yet you still went ahead with the above sentence! Did anyone say the existence of it needed to be proved? What is your point?!

> then more material from an under-represented album/tour seems a natch.

That is a fair point. I never said it wasn't. However, if it's a fair point (which it is), I can't see how you can claim it was a "rhetorical question" in this context. Maybe I'm not the only one who is "irrational"?

> Considering this was supposed to be a super-duper deluxe package

Who said that?!

>(and yes it was very much hyped as being definitive - go watch Ezrin's 6 minute spiel on youtube),

Where does he use the word "definitive"?

>and the fact that the Tresures 2 disc clocked in at just over 60 minutes, the decision to excluded BaD, HHA and/or WUAS was a bad one.

How do you know? Maybe in terms of completeness, yes, I never denied that. I think I may have said this in the other thread. However, you don't know WHY those songs were excluded, so you're not in a position to make that claim. It was definitely unfortunate, though.

> should be apparent to anyone who has collected live ACG.

But not everyone who bought "Old School" does that. What you repeatedly don't seem to understand is that it's impossible to put something together that caters to your individual needs or those of the other individuals who bought it. I hate to tell you this but even "Abbey Road" didn't meet John Lennon's exact requirements. That doesn't stop it being one of the greatest albums ever recorded though.

> Was a petulant, sarcastic, useless comment. So now I ask you, Mr. Last Word On Everything, why the hell would I bother addressing all your other points?

So why are you spending time telling me you won't respond to them when you could be spending that time responding to them? What was that you wrote about being "irrational"?

>You have never demonstrated any attempt at real conversation

Who said I am here for a "conversation"? I come here in the vain hope that I will learn something I don't know. Since you're so desperate for a little cozy interaction, why not ask specific questions as others often do? If I can answer them, I will. I've issued that challenge before. Do you remember the Led Zeppelin thread?

> all you do is sit in a nest with your sniper rifle.

I know what this about. You just want a nice, safe place where you can post anything you want and not be challenged. Maybe you should find another forum for that.

> Some people put up with it because of your association with AC

Who are you referring to? I wish you would tell me who they are, as maybe I could get some special privileges or something.

>(congratulations on that btw)

Thanks. I will admit it helps to be a normal and rational human being rather than someone with a giant sense of indignant and self - righteous entitlement.

>but I'm not interested in your type of behaviour.

Don't reply to my posts then.

>bad, you're in a position of being a real positive asset to the board, instead you choose otherwise.

Good attempt at deflecting attention away from your nonsense. At least, it's better than usual attempts. Besides, it isn't for you to decide whether I'm a "real positive asset" or not. If you ever become the owner of this site, then maybe you can decide that.

>I wasn't going to post because I really don't want to bog down the board anymore, it has really gotten pointless.

You went to a lot of effort explaining why you weren't going to, when you could used your efforts to tell me I'm wrong and you're right. It doesn't sound incredibly rational.

>Maybe because of your involvement in the project you're taking my criticisms of it personally,

Not at all, actually. I never said I was one hundred per cent satisfied with it. Everyone involved had to make some compromises here and there to create something everyone was satisfied with, just like almost every piece of work that is created by more than one person (but I'm not sure you would understand that).

>I just wanted a comprehensive set - for a $260 asking price it's not unreasonable.

Again, you knew what was on there before you bought it and you approved of it. Did you forget that?

DIMMA
Killer
Killer

Post by DIMMA » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:17 pm

Dear fellow Sickies.

As one of the guilty partners behind the OLD SCHOOL box set (and very proud of it) I will try and answer some of the questions and crticisms raised regarding the choice of material, omissions and sound quality on the “Treasures” CDs.

I can only comment on the “Treasures” CDs, as I was involved in these and supplied many of the recordings used. These include recordings that I got directly from the bandmembers themselves or other people close to Alice and the band. As well, Dennis Dunaway, Neal Smith, Michael Bruce, Bob Ezrin, Andy Michael and many others supplied material from their private collections in an effort to make this box set the best it could be for the fans.

Regarding the sound quality; It is important to keep in mind that OLD SCHOOL is essentially a collection “Bootleg” live recordings , demos and rehearsals taken mostly from old cassette tapes that were recorded over 40 years ago.
In some cases we had to make good with rather poor quality recordings of historically important or interesting material as these were the only copies available. Do some of these exist in better quality? Who knows?! I certainly hope so, but only time will tell.

The LITD, KILLER and MOL demos used for the box set came from Jeff Jatras and myself and I believe are all 2nd generation copies from Michael Bruce´s original tapes. If anyone here claims to have better quality copies of these demos, I would certainly love to hear them!

So it is not entirely fair to compare this to the sound quality of say The Beatles Anthology (which received a fair amount of criticism as well) as The Beatles Anthology CDs are largely comprised of re-mixed studio out-takes taken from the original EMI multi-tracks.

Regarding the choice of material; As Andy has already explained, the final track list is a combination of suggestions from all of the people involved and was based on performance, sound quality, interest to AC fans and historical value. The final track list thus does not neccesarily represent the original track lists suggested by any of us invidually but a combination thereof.

As a collector who probably has as complete a collection of ACG recordings as just about anyone else, I personally think it´s a pretty good track list considering the material that was available to us and we had to work with.
There are even quite a few gems in there which very few people had ever heard previously.

In some cases, we had to make choices based on performance vs. sound quality. For example, in all fairness, the “KILLER” show from Mar Y Sol , Puerto Rico is better sound quality than the St. Louis show from the same tour. However, the overall performance at Mar Y Sol suffers from the band having downed a few too many beers before they got on stage and is evidently sloppy in places, while the St. Louis performance is much more inspired and captures the ACG in all of their raw glory throughout the whole show. This was therefore selected to represent the KILLER show on CD and vinyl.

Regarding the “obvious” omissions of live tracks from the SCHOOL´S OUT, B$B and B$B HOLIDAY TOUR ; It is well known that the best live recordings from the B$B tour are the multi track recordings from Dallas, TX and Houston,TX.
With the exception of a couple inferior alternate versions, these recordings have all been re-mixed and released already on the B$B Deluxe CD, B$B DVD Audio, GTSYA AC DVD and Blue-Ray. So it would have made little point to include inferior recordings from the same shows/tour on the box set.

In terms of live recordings from the SCHOOL´S OUT and B$B HOLIDAY TOUR go, we simply had to go with what was available to us.
The best quality recordings we had from the SO tour are probably the Hollywood Bowl show and the heavily edited Paris “Jukebox” TV show. While I would have loved to see a good quality copy of the Paris show on the DVD, I doubt that the audio recordings from either of these shows would have pleased many of the die hard AC collectors if they had been icluded on the “Treasures” CDs.

As far as omissions of live tracks from MOL go, this again has a lot to do with what material is known to exists and available to us. As far as I know , besides a few shows recorded from the audience, there are only about 3 shows in the bandmembers private collections that were recorded from the soundboard that include tracks from MOL. These are from Toledo, OH, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and one other which is an uncomplete recording from an unknown show on the US Holiday tour, in December ´73.
I have still to hear the Toledo show but as far as I know it ended disruptly after only a couple songs (as detailed in Bob Greene´s book) before they got to performing any of the four songs from MOL which they performed on that tour.
The four songs performed on that tour were BIG APPLE DREAMIN´ (HIPPO), MUSCLE OF LOVE, HARD HEARTED ALICE and WORKING UP A SWEAT.

From the “unknown” soundboard recording, both BAD and MOL are unfortunately marred by deterioration of the recording while HHA and WUAS are missing from this incomplete recording.

That left us with the sole recording from Rio de Janeiro from which we chose MOL as neither HHA or WUAS sounded very good on this soundboard recording. BIG APPLE DREAMING was not performed by the band at that show.

I hope that this information helps answer some of the questions and clear up some of the misconceptions, speculation and/or criticism regarding the “TREASURES 1 & 2” CDs. And as I mentioned before, if any of you AC collectors out there believe you have earlier generation or superior quality copies of any of the recordings that appeared on OLD SCHOOL, I would love to hear them.

Yours sincerely,
Ingo Geirdal

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:06 pm

Awesome reply DIMMA, you're a breath of fresh air.

Thanks for the info, all those reasons sound quite logical and I applaud the reason for choosing the St. Louis show - even if the SQ isn't pristine, it has a great raw "bootleg" sound.

Regarding the lack of MoL Holiday tour tapes were any "Hail Mary" passes thrown? Like contacting Artie King, it's been years since I've read the Bob Greene book but iirc Artie gave him a board tape of one of the shows as a momento so he may have made board tapes as a regular part of his duties (like many soundmen do). Or what about video from the Largo, Maryland show, I think the B$B book mentioned a new in-house video system had been installed and over the years other touring acts videos have surfaced (Aerosmith, Kiss, Fleetwood Mac, ZZ-Top etc)?

I don't read a lot of interviews but apparently DD was something of an archivist for the band, does he or anyone associated with the band have board tapes from their tours. Like were there no other EA dates aside from the Chicago Underground, to chose from? Did he have low gen copies of the Roostertail show? Although it's been bootlegged numerous times, it usually excludes ROTS, and to have a good quality version of the LITD tour encore should have been a top priority for this set.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:32 pm

> These include recordings that I got directly from the bandmembers themselves or other people close to Alice and the band.

Yes. I did the same, although it wasn't necessary as much of it was already in the archive, but at least it meant everyone was thinking the same way.

>As well, Dennis Dunaway, Neal Smith, Michael Bruce, Bob Ezrin, Andy Michael and many others supplied material from their private collections in an effort to make this box set the best it could be for the fans.

Yes and we had access to the Alice's archive.

>from Michael Bruce´s original tapes.

Yes and although those were available, I'm not sure how much of an improvement there was.

>The final track list thus does not neccesarily represent the original track lists suggested by any of us invidually but a combination thereof.

Yes, there were various versions of it.

> while the St. Louis performance is much more inspired and captures the ACG in all of their raw glory throughout the whole show. This was therefore selected to represent the KILLER show on CD and vinyl.

Exactly.

>Regarding the “obvious” omissions of live tracks from the SCHOOL´S OUT, B$B and B$B HOLIDAY TOUR ; It is well known that the best live recordings from the B$B tour are the multi track recordings from Dallas, TX and Houston,TX.

Yes and without meaning to brag, I was the one who pointed out that "Under My Wheels" was missing from the live tracks on the "Billion Dollar Babies" re - issue, so this would be a good opportunity to include it.

>So it would have made little point to include inferior recordings from the same shows/tour on the box set.

Exactly. I vaguely remember listening to one other sound - board show from the "Billion Dollar Babies" tour, which is not in circulation (which, unless I'm mistaken, Bob Ezrin recorded) but for the reasons as above, there was no point including any more tracks from it.

>The best quality recordings we had from the SO tour are probably the Hollywood Bowl show

I was keen for something (actually there was only one track that was suitable which was "Public Animal No. 9") to be included, but it ultimately wasn't my decision. For an audience bootleg, the quality was pretty high but it is a very ragged performance (but that's part of the charm, obviously). I would love to see this released on its own (if one particular issue could be dealt with).

>While I would have loved to see a good quality copy of the Paris show on the DVD, I doubt that the audio recordings from either of these shows would have pleased many of the die hard AC collectors if they had been icluded on the “Treasures” CDs.

I don't think anything from that would have been available due to licensing issues.

>I have still to hear the Toledo show but as far as I know it ended disruptly after only a couple songs (as detailed in Bob Greene´s book) before they got to performing any of the four songs from MOL which they performed on that tour.

You are not missing anything, although it would have been interesting to hear the disturbance but there is hardly any of it on there.

>That left us with the sole recording from Rio de Janeiro from which we chose MOL as neither HHA or WUAS sounded very good on this soundboard recording.

I still wanted at least one of those included but I happily deferred to other people's opinions.

>I hope that this information helps answer some of the questions and clear up some of the misconceptions, speculation

Good luck! However, on a more serious note, there is never anything wrong with people asking questions (or making comments) about this or anything else, but do try and leave any assumptions and prejudiced views behind when doing so.

>and/or criticism regarding the “TREASURES 1 & 2” CDs. And as I mentioned before, if any of you AC collectors out there believe you have earlier generation or superior quality copies of any of the recordings that appeared on OLD SCHOOL, I would love to hear them.

There were many more recordings made available including things that I'm almost certain no - one has ever heard of but again, for a variety of reasons, they were not considered worth using. Again, I hate to shatter one particular person's assumption, but the purpose of the project was not to release every single piece of material that has not already been released. As DIMMA has explained, everything had to justify (as we all more or less saw it) being included.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:39 pm

>Awesome reply DIMMA, you're a breath of fresh air.

I just want to point out that it actually wasn't a "reply", since there haven't been any specific questions apart from the one you claimed was "rhetorical". My guess is he posted to shut you up, but he's probably to polite to say so.

>Like contacting Artie King,

Do try and think before you post something. All those original recordings came from that gentleman if you think about it.

> so he may have made board tapes as a regular part of his duties (like many soundmen do).

Exactly - hence my reply above.

>I don't read a lot of interviews

That explains a lot - it really does.

> Although it's been bootlegged numerous times, it usually excludes ROTS,

It shouldn't be difficult to find one that does include it. I think it was on "Paracidal Slumbers" but not on "Puke On A Piece Of Apple Pie".

> and to have a good quality version of the LITD tour encore should have been a top priority for this set.

I agree and the version from the show in Seattle would also have been good to use instead.

DIMMA
Killer
Killer

Post by DIMMA » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:11 pm

"Toronto Bob" said:
"Thanks for the info, all those reasons sound quite logical and I applaud the reason for choosing the St. Louis show - even if the SQ isn't pristine, it has a great raw "bootleg" sound."

I agree.

"Toronto Bob" said:
"Regarding the lack of MoL Holiday tour tapes were any "Hail Mary" passes thrown? Like contacting Artie King, it's been years since I've read the Bob Greene book but iirc Artie gave him a board tape of one of the shows as a momento so he may have made board tapes as a regular part of his duties (like many soundmen do). Or what about video from the Largo, Maryland show, I think the B$B book mentioned a new in-house video system had been installed and over the years other touring acts videos have surfaced (Aerosmith, Kiss, Fleetwood Mac, ZZ-Top etc)? "

The only shows we were able to find from the B$B (MOL) Holiday Tour (besides the audience recorded tapes from Toronto, Utica,NY and New Haven, CT) are the ones I mentioned.
Whether some more soundboard audio recordings from the tour still survive, I don´t know.
I sure hope so, but they have yet to surface as far as I know.

The only live footage I´ve seen from the tour are the snippets filmed by MB´s girlfriend with MB´s 8mm camera. Unfortunately they are all silent and mostly out of focus as she did not know how to work the camera.
I have searched for good video/film footage from this tour for decades but have yet to find any. That doesn´t mean it doesn´t exist somewhere, but it has yet to surface.

"Toronto Bob" said:
"I don't read a lot of interviews but apparently DD was something of an archivist for the band, does he or anyone associated with the band have board tapes from their tours. Like were there no other EA dates aside from the Chicago Underground, to chose from? Did he have low gen copies of the Roostertail show? Although it's been bootlegged numerous times, it usually excludes ROTS, and to have a good quality version of the LITD tour encore should have been a top priority for this set."

The Chicago Underground recording originally came from Michael Bruce´s private collection and I believe a 2nd generation tape off the master was used for the box set. As far as I am concerned it is one of the more interesting live recordings of the ACG as it captures the band at a transitional period in their career just before their sound and carreer was transformed by Bob Ezrin and Jack Richardson.

No other soundboard recordings from the EA dates, have been found in the bandmembers collections yet.

From what I´ve heard, The Roostertail LITD show was originally mixed by Bob Ezrin and they tried to find the master tapes or a low generation copy but unfortunately were unable to find it before the deadline for the OLD SCHOOL project ran out. The encore RETURN OF THE SPIDERS from this show was definitely considered for the set but the best sounding copy (which came from my private collection) was taken off the PARRICIDAL SLUMBERS bootleg, which unfortunately isn´t all that great.
Hopefully a good sounding low gen copy will turn up someday.

Ingo