Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Alice and George Romero

Post by tuneylune » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:08 pm

Besides being two of my favorites, both have many things in common:
-Both have the same birthday 2/4/40 and 2/4/48
-Both broke several rules in their chosen profession (Romero with his zombie movies and Alice in stage performances) and inspired untold number of others, but none as good.
-Watching Romero's films and reading the info on Alice recordings, both work with the same people for extended periods of time.
-Both have tried to break away from the expected path and have drawn heat for it (I remember all the protest when Alice did ballads and some of Romero's films that were not originally popular are actually very good, especially MARTIN, MONKEY SHINES and KNIGHTRIDERS).
-Both are low key and personable-both were polite when I met them; certainly, I have never heard of either one being rude to a fan.
-Despite the considerable mayhem they both have in their work, both come off as gentle with no scandal other than a couple of Romero divorces and Alice having had a drinking problem.
Truth be told, I have enjoyed Alice's recent work more than Romero's-perhaps they could work together, imagine an Alice tune or two in a Romero zombie movie ("Zombie Stomp" and "Ghouls Gone Wild", anybody?). Also, on the 40th Ann. of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD disc, Alice is interviewed briefly and ends with "George, keep making them and I'll keep seeing them".
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Nick
Killer
Killer

Re: Alice and George Romero

Post by Nick » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:29 am

I haven't enjoyed any of Romero's latest works, but Martin is one of the most underrated horror films ever.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice and George Romero

Post by killer wolf » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:38 am

never thought i'd live to see the day when someone used the words "monkey shines" and "very good" in the same sentence.

unless they were separated buy "was not".
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\