Before the internet...

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Before the internet...

Post by tuneylune » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:13 pm

Back before the web made it easy to find out things, what magazines did you read to get your information?
70s- Hate to admit it, but found lots of information in 16 in Junior High before moving to the states and finding more relevant info in CIRCUS and ROCK SCENE. GROOVES had a great article with lots of cool pictures on a double bill with The Who, which is quite fitting, looking back on it. When they weren't busting his chops, CREEM wrote some good articles.
80's-90's Some lean pickings to be sure. HIT PARADER had some decent stuff and CREEM had a great article in early 1987, about CONSTRICTOR. Was going to University for one miserable year and found lots of old CASHBOX and BILLBOARD with reviews and clippings which I xeroxed. RIP and METAL EDGE came out later and they covered him quite frequently, EDGE in particular although it seemed that editor Gerri Miller always had to get her photo in there somewhere.
2000 and up-Thought BLENDER was the best of the later 'zines, but never covered Alice and company enough. They used to have a total album review of an artist and wrote/emailed constantly to get Alice in there, but to no avail.
In 2006, discovered STUK and now there is no place better to get info :alice: :laugh: :clap: :) :rock:
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Before the internet...

Post by Robbie » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:22 pm

In the 1970's there was New Musical Express and the Melody maker that were more "serious". In addition there was Record Mirror and Disc-these two I believed merged into one paper some time in the late 1970's. Happy days!

Loomis
Killer
Killer

Post by Loomis » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:02 pm

As my parents got divorced when I was real young, I never had money for any of those magazines.
Progressives are scariest thing on the planet.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:41 am

Every musicmagazine available in the st :rock: ore

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:50 am

In the UK, in the 70s it was the papers Sounds, Melody Maker, NME and teenybob magazines. In the 80s, in the UK there were 'metal' magazines like Kerrang and Raw Power. However, info on Cooper in the late 70s in the UK was very limited, that's why I subscribed to Andy's fanzine.

Si, can I change my username without losing posts etc - for some reason I forgot that 'Gunner' can mean Arsenal FC fan - when I have stuck up for Man United for 35 years!!!

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:18 pm

Gunner wrote:Si, can I change my username without losing posts etc - for some reason I forgot that 'Gunner' can mean Arsenal FC fan - when I have stuck up for Man United for 35 years!!!
Don't think he's back from the US yet, but I'll leave a note for him in the mod section.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:02 am

This has been asked before. It's not possible to do so. You can create a new account, but the accounts can't be renamed.

Hunter

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:34 am

Gunner wrote: Si, can I change my username without losing posts etc - for some reason I forgot that 'Gunner' can mean Arsenal FC fan - when I have stuck up for Man United for 35 years!!!
I sympathize as a Spurs fan Gunner any association with that club is regrettable!
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:16 am

Gunner wrote: Si, can I change my username without losing posts etc - for some reason I forgot that 'Gunner' can mean Arsenal FC fan - when I have stuck up for Man United for 35 years!!!
No. We've tried it and it doesn't work properly, although it should.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:13 pm

I read Circus and Hit Parader a lot back in the day. It was only a few years later that I learned many of the interviews and information was made up! I remember one day reading a Circus magazine article where it stated a new Scorpions album was climbing up the charts and headed toward gold status. The only problem was the album had been pushed back and was even on sale yet, lol. However, I don't think the artists minded that much because it was good promotion for them. I do think Metal Edge was legitimate and RIP magazine (which was my favorite) was legitimate as well and Lonn Friend was a big Alice fan.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:23 pm

Magazine lead times (the time needed to get them printed and ready for distribution) often resulted in articles that weren't accurate because they were written three months in advance. Those that weren't described events that happened two or three months earlier than the issue date. That's part of the reason I started SickThings and KISSARMY---I got tired of finding out news three months after the event.

Hunter

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:45 am

circus,but I wish I had Andy's fanzine that I've seen excerpts from!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:58 am

>circus,but I wish I had Andy's fanzine that I've seen excerpts from!

You are far too kind.

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:21 pm

Being a bit younger it was kerrang, metal hammer and Raw for me. Also my older uncle kept me informed on the goings on in the world of rock. Wish i had been in the know enough to have ordered Andys fanzine. What years did it run from?
Boomshanka

departmentofyouth
Killer
Killer

Post by departmentofyouth » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:13 am

When I first was really getting into AC in the mid 1980's, a local record shop had every back issue of CREEM, CIRCUS & HIT PARADER under their used LP bins. I snagged anything with the name or picture of Alice Cooper on the cover. 27 years later, judging by current ebay rates, I'm glad that I paid $0.75 to $1.00 each! By the time The Nightmare Returns Tour was in full swing I was combing the magazine aisles on a weekly basis right up through Hey Stoopid. Picked up a lot of great US & UK mags!

:alice:
I'm a Dirt Talkin', Beer Drinkin', Woman Chasin' Ministers Son.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:23 am

....and i thought you we're a decent bloke Gunner lol,still Manure over Gooners, better of 2 evils...... from another Spurs fan...COYS

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:19 am

>What years did it run from?

The first issue appeared in 1983 or 1984 and the last one in 1987 (I'm not sure I remember why I stopped producing it).

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:26 am

Cheers Andy. I would of only been 3 years old when the first one came out. Still I could of enjoyed the pictures.
Boomshanka

cooperuk
Trash
Trash

Post by cooperuk » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:33 am

Kerrang in the 80s

old school vet
Killer
Killer

Post by old school vet » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:42 pm

one of the better teenybop/pop mags from the mid to late 70s in the UK was Look-in,which was one of the first colour mags and always had lots of Alice coverage and pictures.